• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MBB Game #1, (L, 47-66), Tue, 11/5 vs UC RIVERSIDE, @ PBA, 8:00pm CT, BTN-TV (Beginning The Fred Hoiberg Era)

while it sucks they lost, i'm not all that down. honestly, i saw better collective talent and spacing in this game then in a good majority of games during the previous era. believe me, i love to nitpick. i just didn't see much tonight that left me saying "oh they are terrible at this or that."

what i saw was a bunch of dudes who just started playing together, and nobody really knows quite where they fall in the pecking order. When you need a basket, knowing who to get the ball too is huge, and NU doesn't know that yet.

UC Riverside was unconscious tonight. One of those dudes was shooting 3s with a motion similar to a 7th grade girl, and he hit 3 i believe. Sometimes, in bball, you just lose. not because you should have, or you are terrible, or whatever.....but the other team is just on fire. its frustrating for sure, but it is what it is.

could the team benefit from less 1 on 1? yes. Absolutely. Are there 2 JUCO all-stars on our team who will get a taste of bigboy bball, with all the growing pains associated with it? most definitely. Mack and Green didn't play poorly, but they will learn fast (I hope) that an exciting, double dip missed layup isn't nearly as good as a drive, draw the defense, and kick to a wide open shooter. UC RIverside already got that memo and it showed tonight.

Could Doc have reminded his guys that we don't need 3 people closing out on a 3pt shooter, all at the same time? yes. Could they have stopped crashing hard to double the post (every time), only to watch the ball get reversed to a wide open shooter thats already hit 2 3s in a row? Yes please. but thats easy stuff to clean up. or it should be.

I'm not discouraged. Its a bummer they lost, but the energy and effort was there. We've got some unpolished playmakers at the guard spots. There is a good amount of upside to Drago and Cross.

If NU makes half of the missed layups and freethrows they bricked, this game ends differently.

My main concern was I was a little disappointed in the talent level. But HCFH is piecing stuff together. I liked what I saw in potential in Mack and Green and the young 6 9 Center though.
Team looked nervous and a little confused which would be expected.
Fun Style of basketball and it will be interested once they Gel, so see where they are.

what i saw was a bunch of dudes who just started playing together, and nobody really knows quite where they fall in the pecking order. When you need a basket, knowing who to get the ball too is huge, and NU doesn't know that yet.

UC Riverside was unconscious tonight. One of those dudes was shooting 3s with a motion similar to a 7th grade girl, and he hit 3 i believe. Sometimes, in bball, you just lose. not because you should have, or you are terrible, or whatever.....but the other team is just on fire. its frustrating for sure, but it is what it is.

I logged in to give my two cents; those paragraphs summed up exactly what I was thinking as the game unfolded.

Coach Hoiberg was in similar situation to coach Frost as he had to come in and replace a whole roster and fast. Probably had to take what was available and he will make the best of it. I like their style of play. Its entertaining! Better than dribble around the perimeter and wait for shot clock to run out and fire up a prayer

Sure looks like a team that practices too early & isn't 100% bought in. ;)

Bummer... figured once the right coach is hired a team instantly dominates, guess not.

Go Big fRed!

Game Recap!

Box Score, Post-game Notes & Quotes, & more at the Link:

(where does one start? :Redface:)

Prescient Doc!!! (before the season-opener)

Things Will Get Better!

Last edited:
Well I guess that proves you can't take 15 guys that haven't played together before, call them a "team", and expect them to win at the Division I level.

First time since 1980 that Nebraska lost it's opener... that is an impressive streak to break right out of the gate.

I guess as long as you don't expect Nebraska to win, it will be fun to watch.

The collective Huskerland patience is going to get tested between the rock star FB and MBB coaching names and the current outcomes.......

Last edited:

I watched most of the first half and was struck by the poor rebounding. That's got to get better.

The curse that is husker BBall strikes again. This is a team that is going to draw a lot of fouls. If they cant do better than 47% from the ft line. :Puke:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back