• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Mark Whipple for OC?

HCSF should not get off the hook if he goes six and six this year he has at least go nine and three

Six and six would be disappointing, at least to me. But what if he goes eight and four, two of the wins are Oklahoma and Michigan, and the losses are all very close? Or what if he goes nine and three, but the team is badly blown out in the three losses? I'd personally like to see how the team plays, not just see the number of wins and losses.

With AM in town, Scott "had his guy." He had a legitimate shot at getting Joe Burrow, but didn't pursue it because he was overconfident in the guys we had. Hopefully, Scott has seen the light on that topic.

And I completely agree about Whipple mentoring MJ, it makes sense. I just hope those guys can throw together a winning plan in months, not years, and have at least some key personnel to make it happen.
Yeah and I think knowing what we know 4 years later that there was little chance of Mario coaching up Burrow the way he was at LSU.

Six and six would be disappointing, at least to me. But what if he goes eight and four, two of the wins are Oklahoma and Michigan, and the losses are all very close? Or what if he goes nine and three, but the team is badly blown out in the three losses? I'd personally like to see how the team plays, not just see the number of wins and losses.
6-6 with no blow out losses and a bowl trip gets Scott year 6 imo

Yeah and I think knowing what we know 4 years later that there was little chance of Mario coaching up Burrow the way he was at LSU.
Agree. We can't know this for sure, but it sure seemed that Super Mario with his textbook technology had too much info running around between our QB's ears. Seemed to hamstring one certain individual, initials AM. And don't get me going about the inability to have the backup game ready at any time.

This administration won't pull a Solich.

Frost is going to get more than 1 more year with the new staff, regardless of success next year.
I would temper this. Yes, I believe the admin has Frost's back. Yet if there is no sign of improvement (or signs of moving backward), I don't see them keeping him another year.

This administration won't pull a Solich.

Frost is going to get more than 1 more year with the new staff, regardless of success next year.
Tend to agree, as long as there is "incremental improvement" - no blowout losses, being in the big games and maybe winning one or two more than last year. I'm guessing Trev and the administration were feeling some heat given that Scott fired 4 coaches in response. They will be pressured to show at least some improvement.

Last edited:
I was surprised to read this quote below about Pitt's offense under Whipple. We've all seen how a stumbling, high tempo offense can leave the defense on the field almost constantly. There were so many of those instances over the past several years - way too many to count. It's only been this year with increased depth that our defense has been able to hang in almost indefinitely.

So this is Whipple's offense - time of possession stats:

"The Panthers were 24th in the country in time of possession, which is atypical for a pass-heavy, big-play attack. Nebraska, on the other hand, was only 97th in time of possession this season with a much more traditional approach.

Granted, it took a high level of execution from a Heisman-caliber quarterback for the Panthers to operate so effectively. But Pitt was 38th and 45th nationally in time of possession the 2 previous seasons as Pickett grew from serviceable to star. When executed properly, this is a high-reward offense without all the typical risks."

Last edited:

With AM in town, Scott "had his guy." He had a legitimate shot at getting Joe Burrow, but didn't pursue it because he was overconfident in the guys we had. Hopefully, Scott has seen the light on that topic.

And I completely agree about Whipple mentoring MJ, it makes sense. I just hope those guys can throw together a winning plan in months, not years, and have at least some key personnel to make it happen.
For all those critical that Joe Burrow didn't play at NU, do you honestly think he has the same college career at NU as he did at LSU? Do you think MV would have developed him as well? Do you think he would have been tossing the ball to 3 high NFL draft choices?

It isn't like getting Joe Burrow = Heisman at Nebraska. Probably worked out the best for Joe the way it played out.

For all those critical that Joe Burrow didn't play at NU, do you honestly think he has the same college career at NU as he did at LSU? Do you think MV would have developed him as well? Do you think he would have been tossing the ball to 3 high NFL draft choices?

It isn't like getting Joe Burrow = Heisman at Nebraska. Probably worked out the best for Joe the way it played out.
Of course not better for Joe to have finished his career in Lincoln, hindsight vision settles that question.

But Nebraska would have been a better team with Burrow at QB, absolutely.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back