• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Luke McCaffery Transferring

I'm confused by this. We gave him 2 starts during a pandemic year that he was only a redshirt freshman. How is that not giving him a fair shot? He should have played better against illinois if he wanted to keep the job. It became pretty clear that AM gave us the best chance to win when he came back. I'm a Mcaffrey fan but if he wants to leave over not getting handed the keys to the car as a freshman then I wont be that sad about losing him. If he decides he should play wr is his best option but doing it at nebraska is beneath him then I also wont be that sad to lose him. Kids in current times have a lot of quitting wired into their blood. The sad part is most football players are head strong compared to an average joe. So what does that say about the culture of the world in general?
No idea. But as I told everyone before the season, there wasn't really a QB battle. Then he goes from just getting a couple series' in Northwestern to the starter. To your point, seize the opportunity and don't be bad.

*** are you stiring the pot? The reason I ask is you say no way LM transfers then 3 hours later you post LM is gone??????. Can you share what transpired in those 3 hours to change your mind. No other sources have come out and speculated that LM is leaving other than members here
I posted "no way LM transfers"? Where did I say that? I'm pretty sure in this thread i've been really consistent the entire time and have been saying "I hope he stays" and talking about "the smoke".

Last edited:
No idea. But as I told everyone before the season, there wasn't really a QB battle. Then he goes from just getting a couple series' in Northwestern to the starter. To your point, seize the opportunity and don't be bad.

Luke may have been pushed into service early . . . but it was probably a good thing to see how far away he is and what a project he is as a passer. He just doesn't have the arm. It used to be that we'd bemoan the athletes at QB who had a "live arm" but just couldn't control where the passes went. Luke's arm isn't even very "live" and his beyond-short-range accurancy isn't good. Not trying to bag on him--it's just clear as day at this point.

I hope he stays as an athlete and as a sometimes-QB with a series of packages that get him touches consistently. I think he could be a tremendous player and make an impact by playing to his strengths. But unless Frost goes back to the 90's with the offense, Luke's just not the guy with the passing tools to take this team where it needs to go.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't necessarily agree with the categorization.

I do agree that this statement looks like he's using too much of the personal experiences coupled with the emotional side of being a college football in his decision making process. That's one statement. I don't know if it's an issue in all of his decisions or just as they relate to the quarterback room or just this one instance with Luke. I don't think it reads like he's feeling sorry for himself, rather empathizing with Luke. He's been there, done that. If it keeps the kid in LIncoln and gives him a chance to excel in the position.....or maybe potentially elsewhere, I'm fine with it.

Using your own experiences in your role as a leader is actually kind of required and he's still in the age range where the kids can see him as a former player, not just an old ball coach. If McCaffrey was to struggle for two more years, showing little or no improvement in the position and we see this same kind of statement from Frost, then I think he's got an issue. I still won't know if it's McCaffrey specific, QB specific or broader, but at that point the stance will be flawed.
i don't quite disagree with you here on leadership. it's just that there is a lot of "back when i was playing" incorporated into his feelings and decisions on many current situations and issues. it's helpful to have that background experience, but it doesn't mean that things at the current moment should be looked at through the lens of personal experiences from 25 years ago. the world has changed, the culture has changed. heck, even the jersey has changed.
being a Head Coach means being a field general, surveying the whole battlefield and having a global perspective, instead of basing army strategy and tactics so much on what kind of armour a lieutenant wants to put on.

as he's doing this for Luke McCaffery, what if Coach Held says, "well, i was a backup when i was a player and didn't get much opportunities. i'm not going to support a WR running the ball". Or if coach austin said, "there's no way i'll support jurgens being a center with all the bad snaps. i have other actual recruited centers here. Back when i was playing,...". Or if Dbs coach says, "well i got some good tape before i went to the NFL. I know we've been told to back off the Ohio state WRs, but you need tape, so press them when you can. I'll make sure you get to the NFL, no matter what. just like me". On and on it goes.

Personally I like that empathetic perspective. The transfers, he understands because he lived it. Let the boy play where he wants, not where a horde of forum posters feel he should be playing. I see some of the frost player mentality in Lm...both highly competitive and desire to win. If the QB thing doesn’t work out for him, that’s okay-let him love what he’s doing.
The bad thing for the team though if the QB gig isn’t working, then it hurts the QB room and the team.
yea. let him play where he wants, but within the confines of a clearly predefined Major College Football Team vision, structure and strategy, alongside clearly defined and established plans for development, improvement, and deployment for every player on that team. not this, "i'm going to make sure you don't go through what i went through when i was playing" thing.
this is just a symptom or pointer to a larger issue though, so i won't dwell on this.

LM going or staying will not affect us long term. I like the kid as a competitor and athlete, no question. But having him and AM, and even LS as our primary QBs gives me pause. All three are better runners than passers, give or take. Looking at the best programs in the country, can't think of one with a running QB who can sustain success. This is where I believe we need to change our strategy on recruiting QBs as a whole. if we could find a thrower with some athletic ability it may payoff big time. Ohio State just signed a top pocket passers for the second year in a row. Guessing he can move the chains when needed with his feet. Relying on QB runs is only going to get your QB banged up every year, see AM. Banged up QBs get you losses when they can't execute or are gunshy. Sorry for the ramble but had to vent a bit.

Last edited:

To paraphrase the old saying, the backup QB is the most popular guy on the team - until everyone sees with their own eyes that his passing skills are really unpolished.

The LM is our QB! movement died down pretty quick here on the board after the Illinois game.

To paraphrase the old saying, the backup QB is the most popular guy on the team - until everyone sees with their own eyes that his passing skills are really unpolished.

The LM is our QB! movement died down pretty quick here on the board after the Illinois game.

After Smothers was recruited I think all of us thought the quarterback room was as strong as it’s ever been since Tom Osborne was coaching. I don’t think anyone is arguing that today. Like several of you have suggested, it’s time to recruit a quarterback that is a great passer that can do enough with his legs to be dangerous, not the other way around. If the rumors I’ve heard about Smothers are correct we have really done poorly recruiting D1 ready quarterbacks and that’s another strike against Coach V.

After Smothers was recruited I think all of us thought the quarterback room was as strong as it’s ever been since Tom Osborne was coaching. I don’t think anyone is arguing that today. Like several of you have suggested, it’s time to recruit a quarterback that is a great passer that can do enough with his legs to be dangerous, not the other way around. If the rumors I’ve heard about Smothers are correct we have really done poorly recruiting D1 ready quarterbacks and that’s another strike against Coach V.
I’m in wait and see mode on Smothers. He’s a freshman who didn’t get spring ball. There are rumors about his arm but his high school film doesn’t show a weak arm at all. We will hopefully get the opportunity to actually see him throw this spring so we’ll know a lot more soon.

I’m in wait and see mode on Smothers. He’s a freshman who didn’t get spring ball. There are rumors about his arm but his high school film doesn’t show a weak arm at all. We will hopefully get the opportunity to actually see him throw this spring so we’ll know a lot more soon.
I would describe his high school film as lots of rainbows and few passes that I would call a frozen rope. Guys with great accuracy and average arm strength have successfully navigated big time college football though.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back