• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Luke McCaffery Transferring

I shouldn't be surprised that there's rumblings of LM leaving, but I am. Like a lot of posters have alluded to, he got a pretty good shot at the job this year before he was even supposed to. I mean, talk about an opportunity there. From what I've read in the past, he seemed like he had been working hard and preparing. He's still young, AM is a senior, I don't know what else he would need to have for another really good opportunity at the job, he's gonna get that chance if he stays.

Work your butt off and be ready and you can probably be successful when the times comes. You'd think some kids and their families would recognize this, but it doesn't seem like they do anymore. Heck, if you think the staff has mismanaged your development (maybe this is part of his thinking), talk to the staff. Figure out what plays fit your skills in the passing game, start from that base and rep the heck out of those, and then build from there.

If he sits out winter/spring, then that's just a terrible look for the team. I don't like that at all, so make a decision one way or the other, but figure it out soon. And again, the opportunity and potential success are there if you're willing to stick it out and work for it.

People will nitpick at this perspective, but whatever. Comments like this and other weird decisions by Frost make it seem like this tenure is some kind of reparations or vindication tour for whatever he went through when he was quarterback. Man. Just be a head coach. Quit feeling sorry for yourself.
1611378571749.jpeg

People will nitpick at this perspective, but whatever. Comments like this and other weird decisions by Frost make it seem like this tenure is some kind of reparations or vindication tour for whatever he went through when he was quarterback. Man. Just be a head coach. Quit feeling sorry for yourself.
View attachment 59123
What if we just think it’s a stupid perspective?

View attachment 59123

I understand what you're saying, but I don't necessarily agree with the categorization.

I do agree that this statement looks like he's using too much of the personal experiences coupled with the emotional side of being a college football in his decision making process. That's one statement. I don't know if it's an issue in all of his decisions or just as they relate to the quarterback room or just this one instance with Luke. I don't think it reads like he's feeling sorry for himself, rather empathizing with Luke. He's been there, done that. If it keeps the kid in LIncoln and gives him a chance to excel in the position.....or maybe potentially elsewhere, I'm fine with it.

Using your own experiences in your role as a leader is actually kind of required and he's still in the age range where the kids can see him as a former player, not just an old ball coach. If McCaffrey was to struggle for two more years, showing little or no improvement in the position and we see this same kind of statement from Frost, then I think he's got an issue. I still won't know if it's McCaffrey specific, QB specific or broader, but at that point the stance will be flawed.

View attachment 59123
Personally I like that empathetic perspective. The transfers, he understands because he lived it. Let the boy play where he wants, not where a horde of forum posters feel he should be playing. I see some of the frost player mentality in Lm...both highly competitive and desire to win. If the QB thing doesn’t work out for him, that’s okay-let him love what he’s doing.
The bad thing for the team though if the QB gig isn’t working, then it hurts the QB room and the team.

Personally I like that empathetic perspective. The transfers, he understands because he lived it. Let the boy play where he wants, not where a horde of forum posters feel he should be playing. I see some of the frost player mentality in Lm...both highly competitive and desire to win. If the QB thing doesn’t work out for him, that’s okay-let him love what he’s doing.
The bad thing for the team though if the QB gig isn’t working, then it hurts the QB room and the team.
He’s still very young and inexperienced at QB but with his raw talent I wouldn’t bet against him. Frost sees something and that’s enough for me he’s played QB and coached more talent than anyone on this board. I would love to see him as a wideout or a running back but he came to Nebraska as a QB so let’s give him time.

Why is HCSF saying Luke is going to be a QB here when he hasn’t proven himself at that position? What if he ends up staying but doesn’t pan out and now that makes it hard to move on from him or adjust? This is SF not being a good HC.

Just get the best guys to DONU that want to play here and say goodbye to a project that doesn’t.

He's gone. I think he would have been ok if he stayed as the backup, but how we played the Northwestern game effectively "started the transition" then it 180'd after Illinois. I actually exchanged texts after the Purdue game, and I can tell you the staff is kicking themselves a bit for listening to the outside noise. But they also understand they made their bed a bit against Northwestern. Took to long to get LM in, once he was in he was the warm QB and he was who they stuck with in a one score game to go tie it. They had to start LM against Penn State after that. But I think we all know that Martinez or LM is beating Penn State when we played them.

You also remember I was very aggressive in telling people you don't take a transfer QB in the portal in an effort to not disrupt the QB room as I knew stuff was going on there. Now that LM is leaving, you take a hard look at how spring shakes out for other schools and JUCO that is playing in the spring. Can't just have Smothers. So you take Dickerson as spot 24, and a transfer QB as your 25.

*** are you stiring the pot? The reason I ask is you say no way LM transfers then 3 hours later you post LM is gone??????. Can you share what transpired in those 3 hours to change your mind. No other sources have come out and speculated that LM is leaving other than members here

Why is HCSF saying Luke is going to be a QB here when he hasn’t proven himself at that position? What if he ends up staying but doesn’t pan out and now that makes it hard to move on from him or adjust? This is SF not being a good HC.

Just get the best guys to DONU that want to play here and say goodbye to a project that doesn’t.

Same thing as him saying that CJ is going to be a great center. Both might be accurate predictions, or both might be untrue. And what do you do then?

Makes me wonder if Frost struggles with ‘loss aversion’ theory.

*** are you stiring the pot? The reason I ask is you say no way LM transfers then 3 hours later you post LM is gone??????. Can you share what transpired in those 3 hours to change your mind. No other sources have come out and speculated that LM is leaving other than members here

Not *** but I think it's a good guess that he was told this by somebody reliable with direct knowledge of situation.

Last edited:

I just hope we do not place trying to keep one player (even one with good potential - at some position) over the interests of the team and program. Keeping LM is important but not at the cost of losing the rest of the team.
No, I don't think that would/will be the case. I think he's got a good hold on how to deal with these things now. You do everything you can, then move on.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back