• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Low Big Ten Expectations for the Huskers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's see now...3rd place in one of the divisions of the 4th or 5th best BCS conference.

So far leaving the Big 12 hasn't turned out too "Rosy.". 18 months ago, we were in our second straight championship game of the country's 2nd best conference.

According to the pundits, we descended to mediocrity after all. I sure hope they are wrong, but so far the evidence suggests they are spot on. See last year's Northwestern game (yes, they beat NU in Lincoln. Yes NORTHWESTERN) as case in point.

Did you ever think that the two conferences are different and that the team didn't suddenly take a dive?

Try switching jobs every week for three months and see how well you come out of it at the end.

Did you ever think that the two conferences are different and that the team didn't suddenly take a dive?

Try switching jobs every week for three months and see how well you come out of it at the end.

So switching conferences is like switching jobs every week? I always thought it was still football.

I could understand better if we had moved to a better conference - perhaps the SEC - but we didn't; we moved from the Big 12 to the Big Slow. I expected much more out of us with the Big 12 talent on our team. As our talent descends to levels of those schools in comparable locales as us - Wisky, Iowa, and Minnesota, - I think this picture only gets worse.

I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:
1) Having OSU, UW, PSU all on our cross-over schedule gives UM and MSU an edge already.
2) UM and MSU will be solid teams
3) We're not in the Big 12 North anymore, where an average team would be a clear favorite

I'm hoping to win the division, wouldn't be surprised by a 2nd place finish, but also wouldn't be surprised by a third (though disappointed).

In 2013 our schedule plays out very well for a big run.

Almost everything I read says the Huskers will finish third in their division. I can't remember when the national media had lower expectations ( Callahan's final year? ) for a Nebraska team. I do believe the fan base ( even those not drinking the koolaid) expect much more.

The ugly 2nd half's vs. Wisc, Mich, and SC definitely hurt our national reputation. But what outsiders don't realize is that we were our own worst enemy in all of those games. I'm fine with the outside expectations being low...takes the pressure off of our team. I see us as 10-2 and winning the Legends division. Have to avoid a typical Pelini hiccup like the NW game last year.

1) Having OSU, UW, PSU all on our cross-over schedule gives UM and MSU an edge already.
2) UM and MSU will be solid teams
3) We're not in the Big 12 North anymore, where an average team would be a clear favorite

I'm hoping to win the division, wouldn't be surprised by a 2nd place finish, but also wouldn't be surprised by a third (though disappointed).

In 2013 our schedule plays out very well for a big run.

I'm one of the few people who doesn't think our schedule is all that tough. By no stretch is it easy, but I do think its managable. I see two potential league losses @OSU and @Mich St... Run the table at home and avoid a stupid loss to NW again and we're in the B1G title game.

So far leaving the Big 12 hasn't turned out too "Rosy.". 18 months ago, we were in our second straight championship game of the country's 2nd best conference.

The Big 12 South was far superior to the Big 12 North...which helped our cause. The Big 10 has the teams more balanced by division. The Big 12 and Big 10 are very comparable conferences in all reality...just the divisions are more balanced in Big 10. Last years team was by far the weakest defensively in the past 3 years...we would have struggled in any conference defensively last year...league switch or not. We had a couple of stars...but way too many holes to be great.

So switching conferences is like switching jobs every week? I always thought it was still football.

I could understand better if we had moved to a better conference - perhaps the SEC - but we didn't; we moved from the Big 12 to the Big Slow. I expected much more out of us with the Big 12 talent on our team. As our talent descends to levels of those schools in comparable locales as us - Wisky, Iowa, and Minnesota, - I think this picture only gets worse.

I hope I'm wrong.

Yes it is kind of like switching jobs. Facing all new teams with zero game film from the previous year to see reactions to different formations, coverages etc. It was like preparing for a bowl game, every week. We had adapted to the Big 12 defensively, more air it out, and went to the Big 10, where its more grind it out. Faced coaches and coordinators that we had zero experience with. Played in places we hadnt played in before etc etc. ALL of these factor into the big picture. That and Im sure since we were the new kid on the block, we had a few more cross hairs on our back than previous years. We have a year under our belt in the B1G, that alone imo puts us in a better situation this year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back