• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Logan Smothers Transferring to Jacksonville State (Alabama)

Why? What if the kid can play, but was stuck behind someone older and the chance to play just never came? I mean, Rhule probably brought him here for depth purposes, but I’m guessing Rhule has seen something he likes.

If we are to the point of needing a walk-on to play QB, that likely means there's a combination of injuries and recruiting flops. Not a good scenario at all.

If we are to the point of needing a walk-on to play QB, that likely means there's a combination of injuries and recruiting flops. Not a good scenario at all.
I agree with you, however, maybe he’s better than a typical walk on? I’m not saying he is, no idea, but Rhule could have found a local kid to put in the QB room if it was just needing a body. If he didn’t play much in HS because of being stuck behind starters, that would explain his status. Doesn’t mean he can’t play though. Who knows?

I agree with you, however, maybe he’s better than a typical walk on? I’m not saying he is, no idea, but Rhule could have found a local kid to put in the QB room if it was just needing a body. If he didn’t play much in HS because of being stuck behind starters, that would explain his status. Doesn’t mean he can’t play though. Who knows?
I never said he was going to be bad. He backed up two future D1 quarterbacks in high school. He could be something. Rhule and Kiffin thought enough of him to allow him to join their programs. I'm curious if Kiffin cut him after spring ball in 2022 though.

I was just trying to figure out where all the hype was coming from and why people thought he was a 3-star recruit turning down scholarships and the SEC to walk-on at Nebraska.

I never said he was going to be bad. He backed up two future D1 quarterbacks in high school. He could be something. Rhule and Kiffin thought enough of him to allow him to join their programs. I'm curious if Kiffin cut him after spring ball in 2022 though.

I was just trying to figure out where all the hype was coming from and why people thought he was a 3-star recruit turning down scholarships and the SEC to walk-on at Nebraska.
The “people”, including me, spoke out about Woche being a positive addition and I speculated a couple of months ago that his presence likely meant several QBs were going to transfer. That opinion got attacked, despite it turning out to be true.

The attackers have continued their assault in this thread. It’s not hype, he’s not the second coming of Tommy Frazier. He gives us meaningful depth, he easily fits into the 3rd or 4th spot on the depth chart, he enables HCMR to field a functioning practice with a capable arm. He does so without requiring a scholarship.

Last edited:
Practice time for everyone is important, and to run two or three units, taking into acount sicknesses, sudden changing of classes, etc. you need a number of QBs ready to step in and handle a practice.

Beyond that? Who knows.

The “people”, including me, spoke out about Woche being a positive addition and I speculated a couple of months ago that his presence likely meant several QBs were going to transfer. That opinion got attacked, despite it turning out to be true.

The attackers have continued their assault in this thread. It’s not hype, he’s not the second coming of Tommy Frazier. He gives us meaningful depth, he easily fits into the 3rd or 4th spot on the depth chart, he enables HCMR to field a functioning practice with a capable arm. He does so without requiring a scholarship.
I think it was a pretty safe bet that we would have QB’s leave the program when we had 6 on scholarship and 20 over the limit. We always carry walk-on QB’s. I didn’t see any one attack you. I just asked why do you call him a “scholarship caliber QB” and “not a normal walk-on.”

I think it was a pretty safe bet that we would have QB’s leave the program when we had 6 on scholarship and 20 over the limit. We always carry walk-on QB’s. I didn’t see any one attack you. I just asked why do you call him a “scholarship caliber QB” and “not a normal walk-on.”

The idea that Thompson, Torres, and Smothers thought "wow, we just brought aboard a walk-on QB -- I'm outta here!" is a rather entertaining thought. :Lol:

The dialogue extends over several different threads including one dating back to when Woche signed on … and yes there are several people who disagree with the position and outright rejected it as an invalid thought.

Yes, having 6 scholarship QBs, it would be safe to predict some would leave. I suspect everyone, including HCMR didn’t expect three including two of last years top 3.

Woche is a kid well suited for 3rd or 4th on the depth chart and his background is much stronger than a true freshman kid from some Nebraskan high school. If we didn’t have Woche I suspect HCMR would have had to find a 4th arm, likely having to use a scholarship for some kid from the portal.

How come there isn’t one walk-on QB on the current roster or the current recruiting page (walk-ons)?

The idea that Thompson, Torres, and Smothers thought "wow, we just brought aboard a walk-on QB -- I'm outta here!" is a rather entertaining thought. :Lol:
No one ever said that, I’m sure every one of those guys thinks they’re capable of being the starter. They all probably think they’re good enough and a walk-on like Woche isn’t concerning them but Woche gives HCMR unique depth.

He doesn’t cost HCMR a scholarship and HCMR doesn’t have to over extend himself to keep one of these guys who are leaving.

Michigan has 9 QBs on its roster, Ohio State has 5, Alabama has 5, Georgia has 5 … get the point? No one is suggesting these guys left because of Woche’s presence … more than likely it was Sims’ presence. But Woche is here and they’re not so maybe just maybe the train of thought that Woche has some value on this roster has to have some validity.

No one ever said that, I’m sure every one of those guys thinks they’re capable of being the starter. They all probably think they’re good enough and a walk-on like Woche isn’t concerning them but Woche gives HCMR unique depth.

He doesn’t cost HCMR a scholarship and HCMR doesn’t have to over extend himself to keep one of these guys who are leaving.

Michigan has 9 QBs on its roster, Ohio State has 5, Alabama has 5, Georgia has 5 … get the point? No one is suggesting these guys left because of Woche’s presence … more than likely it was Sims’ presence. But Woche is here and they’re not so maybe just maybe the train of thought that Woche has some value on this roster has to have some validity.
They left because Sims is starting and they are not. Well, Torres may have left because he doesn’t fit the offense and probably was not going to pass Haarberg and Purdy due to lack of running ability. But Thompson and Smothers left because they aren’t starting and maybe they have a chance to start somewhere else. Can’t imagine that it had anything to do with Woche.

Last edited:

They left because Sims is starting and they are not. Well, Torres may have left because he doesn’t fit the offense and probably was not going to pass Haarberg and Purdy due to lack of running ability. But Thompson and Smothers left because they aren’t starting and maybe they have a chance to start somewhere else. Can’t imagine that it had anything to do with Woche.
I agree, no one is suggesting otherwise.

The dialogue extends over several different threads including one dating back to when Woche signed on … and yes there are several people who disagree with the position and outright rejected it as an invalid thought.

Yes, having 6 scholarship QBs, it would be safe to predict some would leave. I suspect everyone, including HCMR didn’t expect three including two of last years top 3.

Woche is a kid well suited for 3rd or 4th on the depth chart and his background is much stronger than a true freshman kid from some Nebraskan high school. If we didn’t have Woche I suspect HCMR would have had to find a 4th arm, likely having to use a scholarship for some kid from the portal.

How come there isn’t one walk-on QB on the current roster or the current recruiting page (walk-ons)?
I guess you would have to ask Rhule that. He's added a few walk-ons since February, so you never know. How is Woche's background stronger than a walk-on from Nebraska that actually started a year or two in high school?

I guess you would have to ask Rhule that. He's added a few walk-ons since February, so you never know. How is Woche's background stronger than a walk-on from Nebraska that actually started a year or two in high school?

What walk-on QBs have they added?

Nothing that I can see from N2FL’s lists on the recruiting forum.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back