• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Logan Smothers Transferring to Jacksonville State (Alabama)

Coach Ruhle does not think it's a bug concern

He said Purdy made a big jump forward the last few weeks of Spring ball

Keeping in mind Purdy was never 100% healthy last year

Anyway this thread is about Smothers

Wish him the very best
You aren't seriously going to put that quote by Rhule out as a justification for the quarterback room being fine. Everyone with half a brain knows he isn't fine with it but has to do coach speak. I'm guessing he is looking as hard at the transfer portal as any other coach. It's alright to talk and post things that aren't always koolaid situations.

You aren't seriously going to put that quote by Rhule out as a justification for the quarterback room being fine. Everyone with half a brain knows he isn't fine with it but has to do coach speak. I'm guessing he is looking as hard at the transfer portal as any other coach. It's alright to talk and post things that aren't always koolaid situations.

Agreed. HCMR is not going to go on record saying he is worried or that the room is thin, but you know that this has his attention. Options at this point are limited with the exception of getting everyone who he has as ready to play as possible. Saying out loud what the facts are does not good at this point. Coach is saying publically what he needs to be saying.

Last edited:

Also evidenced by the fact that he told LS and CT that if they wanted to come back they’d be welcome.

I think the Woche kid gives HCMR with a certain comfort level he normally wouldn’t have with a walkon sitting in the #4 spot.

Also evidenced by the fact that he told LS and CT that if they wanted to come back they’d be welcome.

I think the Woche kid gives HCMR with a certain comfort level he normally wouldn’t have with a walkon sitting in the #4 spot.
What's this fascination with Woche? What makes him better than a normal walk-on?

What's this fascination with Woche? What makes him better than a normal walk-on?
He’s got a season of P5 football under his belt
He played high school in Texas … HCMR knows him specifically.
He‘s the only QB other than Sims recruited to NU by HCMR

He’s not a kid from Beatrice who does not his navel from an orange.

He’s got a season of P5 football under his belt
He played high school in Texas … HCMR knows him specifically.
He‘s the only QB other than Sims recruited to NU by HCMR

He’s not a kid from Beatrice who does not his navel from an orange.
He only went through spring ball at Ole Miss. Was not on the team during the actual season. Did not play varsity football in Texas. He went to Vandegrift (Austin) as a junior in 2019 and he doesn't appear in any of their varsity stats. Backed up J.J. McCarthy at IMG Academy in 2020-21 as a senior. Not sure what he did during the 2021 season. I give it to you that he was recruited though. I hope he's good, but I'm not as confident as you.

I love this kid. He is going to kill it there. Perfect offense f
I think he would’ve thrived at NU under HCMR. He, IMO, would’ve entered the season as #2 QB behind Sims, even if CT would’ve been on the roster.
i agree. Wished he’d have stayed here, but I wish him the best. Good, loyal kid. I hope he kills it there. Not sure what Jacksonville State will do with a kid who can’t throw, according to many on this board :rolleyes:.

It’s possible he didn’t see himself as a clear number 2.
Or, he’s tired of being passed up and thinks he’s better than all of’em? He’s a competitor, wants to play. He didn’t even get a chance to show Rhule what he could do. He was one of the fastest guys on the team, and has excellent athleticism, and some on here say he cant throw, yet all he did was put passes on the money, only to have receivers drop them. Cracks me the hell up.

He only went through spring ball at Ole Miss. Was not on the team during the actual season. Did not play varsity football in Texas. He went to Vandegrift (Austin) as a junior in 2019 and he doesn't appear in any of their varsity stats. Backed up J.J. McCarthy at IMG Academy in 2020-21 as a senior. Not sure what he did during the 2021 season. I give it to you that he was recruited though. I hope he's good, but I'm not as confident as you.
Ouch. Not bagging on the kid but I’ll bag on posters a bit who are highly regarding him after you gave these revealing stats. It’s hard to be reasonable excited about him

Ouch. Not bagging on the kid but I’ll bag on posters a bit who are highly regarding him after you gave these revealing stats. It’s hard to be reasonable excited about him
Yeah, I'm not trying to bag on Woche either. I really hope the kid can play. But I agree, I just don't know where any of the hype is coming from. People were literally claiming he was scaring off Smothers and Torres.

He doesn't appear in Ole Miss's 2022 media guide. J.J. McCarthy (Michigan) was clearly the starter at IMG in 2020 during Woche's senior year. Dru Dawson was the starter at Vandegrift in 2019 - later walked-on at UAB. Woche doesn't even appear in any garbage time stats for 2019.

Woche does have some highlight videos from his time at Vandegrift - but it's clearly the JV team. The refs are wearing shorts, and no one is in attendance. It's even more obvious when you compare his highlights to Dawson's.

I'd have more confidence in Synek, Masker, Pauley, or even Hausmann...

Listen I am not claiming he‘s the next coming of Tommy Frazier … but he’s an experienced arm suited for 3rd or 4th on the depth chart. His presence I thinks enables HCMR to not have to chase a 4th QB in the transfer portal who’d likely require a scholarship.

His presence enables NU to withstand the departure of 3 scholarship QBs. His presence doesn’t thrust a true freshman walk-on from some school in Nebraska into a role he may not be prepared for.

If he plays meaningful snaps this year we are in trouble … but in the era of every QB worth his salt transferring if he’s not the #1 QB … someone like Woche provides valuable insurance.

Last edited:

No one here is highly regarding him … he’s a good kid to have at the 3rd or 4th spot on the depth chart … especially since he doesn’t require a scholarship and especially since we’ve had 3 scholarship QBs leave.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back