• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Lincoln Southeast DT Bryson Williams Commits To Wisconsin

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have a real hard time letting a solid instate D-line prospect go somewhere else. You know what has happened before. D-linemen are so hit or miss anyway. It looks to me like he is going to start picking up so good power 5 offers over the coarse of the summer.

Williams is certainly good-natured, carrying that tone as he's asked the question people are going to ask around here: What has he heard from Nebraska? Could an offer come from the Huskers?

Williams camped at Nebraska last summer and spoke with D-line coach John Parrella after it was complete. But he hasn't heard from Husker coaches since then.

He did, however, get a recent call from Kenny Wilhite, Nebraska's director of high school relations, asking if he'd attend the Spring Game on April 15.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...cle_5b41bc59-9558-54cc-b177-8e7df6b610f9.html

C'mon, not even a call?

Last edited:

I'm guessing from past experience that Wilhite is calling a number of in state kids to invite them to the spring game. Most of them have no shot at NU. This kid deserves a call from a position coach IMO and should be getting texts every week. Even if he's not tops on our board, why set yourself up to fail if you need to offer late and possibly flip him?

I'm guessing from past experience that Wilhite is calling a number of in state kids to invite them to the spring game. Most of them have no shot at NU. This kid deserves a call from a position coach IMO and should be getting texts every week. Even if he's not tops on our board, why set yourself up to fail if you need to offer late and possibly flip him?
And tell him what? "We do not think your good enough to offer yet but hey were watching. Even if you commit we will consider you a walkon."

And tell him what? "We do not think your good enough to offer yet but hey were watching. Even if you commit we will consider you a walkon."
I think you can go about it a little better than that. My issue is, I was pissed when Tim Miles didn't even know who a guy in-state was that had D1 offers, I was pissed that Bo and them slow-played Harrison Phillips and lost him because of it. Parrella not even following him on twitter and him having to be asked to the spring game by Wilhite just seems odd to me. He's clearly the second best DL in the state as of right now, and he's about 5 miles from north stadium.

That being said, I won't jump to conclusions here. I know we are in on much bigger fish, but Parrella being in contact with him and saying "I gotta see you in camp, I gotta see you during evaluation period" would go a long way. Again, won't jump to conclusions but will file this info away if the kid commits to Iowa and we lose out on our other fish. Remember, Parrella is the guy that when Mike Riley was a bit worried Guy Thomas was taking visits in the final weekends, he calmed the staff down and said "we are going to be fine." He has a very good handle where he stands with his board, I feel confident in that. I'll trust Parrella until he shows we shouldn't.

Last edited:
One other option. Maybe Parella has been honest with him as to where he stands. Knowing JP can not comment on it he says this to the press knowing. Nebraskans being Nebraskans we will all freak out at the local kid not getting enough attention and put pressure on the coaches to hopefully give him an offer.

Before someone says Highschool kids are not that devious. Trust me they are. Coached many a highschool kid.

One other option. Maybe Parella has been honest with him as to where he stands. Knowing JP can not comment on it he says this to the press knowing. Nebraskans being Nebraskans we will all freak out at the local kid not getting enough attention and put pressure on the coaches to hopefully give him an offer.

Before someone says Highschool kids are not that devious. Trust me they are. Coached many a highschool kid.
Maybe... that would mean Parrella told him he isn't interested and isn't communicating with him anymore, yet Wilhite reached out to get him to the spring game. I doubt that's how it went though.

Agree no reason to not trust Parrella. It's entirely possible the kid knows they want to see him camp and expectations have been spelled out. I'm just one who thinks a little small talk via text or twitter now and again never hurts to continue the relationship. What if he tears it up this fall and looks better than Mapieu? What if Frerentz has an ongoing Snapchat streak going with him? I'll be happier than anyone if we don't need him, but the lack of attention is interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back