• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Lincoln Southeast DT Bryson Williams Commits To Wisconsin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm ok with someone proving me wrong on this but 30% of our players on the three deep during the TO days were from Nebraska as I recall. So I would like to see more Nebraska players even if not as highly graded. That is I would be ok with 3 star Nebraska players. 2 star, get them to walk on. Why, because of the intangibles! I'm going by my recollection but when I did reasearch on a couple of years I was right! 30%!
You are right but it is apples and oranges. The 7v7 tournaments that happen during the summer along with camps often allow kids from football hotbeds to get a leg up.

I'm ok with someone proving me wrong on this but 30% of our players on the three deep during the TO days were from Nebraska as I recall. So I would like to see more Nebraska players even if not as highly graded. That is I would be ok with 3 star Nebraska players. 2 star, get them to walk on. Why, because of the intangibles! I'm going by my recollection but when I did reasearch on a couple of years I was right! 30%!
If I were head coach, this is where I would be. I would have to defend myself to the people that think it's all about recruiting rankings because I would have 4-5 Nebraska kids nearly every year setting my tone for what is expected of my program. Now, it is difficult because go back to those 90s teams and you had Ahman Green, Damon Benning, Clinton Childs, Jay Sims all in the same backfield and from Omaha. Talent like that isn't getting churned out currently. I will say though the 2019/2020 classes look to be much better though.

If I were head coach, this is where I would be. I would have to defend myself to the people that think it's all about recruiting rankings because I would have 4-5 Nebraska kids nearly every year setting my tone for what is expected of my program. Now, it is difficult because go back to those 90s teams and you had Ahman Green, Damon Benning, Clinton Childs, Jay Sims all in the same backfield and from Omaha. Talent like that isn't getting churned out currently. I will say though the 2019/2020 classes look to be much better though.
When I look at those backs from Omaha, I think about the all-star O-lines they ran behind and the all-star system they ran in. The only guy that took it to the next level was AG. For a while now RB's at NU had to produce without that same level of support. Guys like Rex and AA got by on sheer grit and determination. I love Nebraska kids but take the best you can get. Having said that, I have a good feeling about Jaylin Bradley....just a hunch he's more than just a plan B.

You look at that 30% and it was lots of lineman as well.

I think it may have been a little easier to achieve 30% back in TO's era. He had more scholarships to give out back then. When they reduced the limit to 85, that changed things to where a few of those guys that wouldve gotten a scholarship back then are only getting walk-on offers now, and some of those are choosing the free-ride offer to schools like S. and N Dakota, Ohio, Wyoming, etc. Unfortunately, many cant afford to pass up a scholarship to a smaller program. That being said, I do think we need to try to get at least the top 4-5 players in the state every year on scholarship, but 30% is probably not likely to ever happen again while the scholarship limit is still at 85.

Just to clarify are you talking in the coaches eyes or in the eyes of the major services? I ask because if you are saying in the eyes of rivals or whoever I couldn't care less. These coaches have proven already with guys like Tre Bryant that they can spot a diamond in the rough.

I'm not going by recruiting site rankings, but rather how the coaches at Nebraska feel he rates for the them on their board of players. Do they see him as a 4-5 star guy or where does he sit amongst players they are recruiting for his position. He likely would sign a LOI for Nebraska if they offer, or at least be fairly solid, I am guessing. They just have to be very confident that he is the player they want filling a spot.

I'm not going by recruiting site rankings, but rather how the coaches at Nebraska feel he rates for the them on their board of players. Do they see him as a 4-5 star guy or where does he sit amongst players they are recruiting for his position. He likely would sign a LOI for Nebraska if they offer, or at least be fairly solid, I am guessing. They just have to be very confident that he is the player they want filling a spot.
Thanks for the clarification.

OK, but did those 30% start as scholarship players? Maybe before the current limits, but after '92 I'd say that number includes a number of walk ons. Now more of those guys are going to Ohio, SDSU, NDSU, Wyoming, etc, etc. I'm not sure I'm prepared to say 25 of our scholarship players should be in state guys at any given time, so I would be left offering preferred walk-on status to some in order to compete with those smaller scholarship offers. Also, those offers come with more than likely more playing time and it will come earlier. Add to that the "Big Red" not being what it was back in the 70's and 80's and some kids may not be longing for that offer over others like they once were.

All that said, I would like Bryson to get an offer and I'd sure be taking a hard look at Moses Bryant.

OK, but did those 30% start as scholarship players? Maybe before the current limits, but after '92 I'd say that number includes a number of walk ons. Now more of those guys are going to Ohio, SDSU, NDSU, Wyoming, etc, etc. I'm not sure I'm prepared to say 25 of our scholarship players should be in state guys at any given time, so I would be left offering preferred walk-on status to some in order to compete with those smaller scholarship offers. Also, those offers come with more than likely more playing time and it will come earlier. Add to that the "Big Red" not being what it was back in the 70's and 80's and some kids may not be longing for that offer over others like they once were.

All that said, I would like Bryson to get an offer and I'd sure be taking a hard look at Moses Bryant.
Good points... 30% may have started but we had the luxury of finding out what they were as walk-one first. I'm sure the flop rate was almost the same but we had more margin for error with more Nebraska kids in the program.

Was there the same roster limitations (105 before class starts) during the summer as there are now? It would be a heck of a lot easier to see potential in walk-on's if you have uncapped roster to try out all summer long to see development physically and mentally. A lot easier to pick and choose what stays and what goes before fall camp and the season rolls around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back