• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Lamar Jackson Quote

Its an interesting quote and probably has some truth to it. But we have to remember no one else is practicing either.

Your comments make me wonder if we’ll see substantial improvement in the last half of upcoming season again .... simply with game and practice reps accumulating.
I bet we will! I think our offense will be better this year, regardless of anything else. JD not returning hurts, but if our WR room can put some playmakers on the 2 deep then we have a real shot for a decent offense.

Definitely a good quote and something to think about. We have turned the roster over, but we haven't reached the place where our roster can reload on an annual basis. 2 more classes to get to that. Therefore, each practice matters for us.

When we finally hit fall camp, it has to be about getting guys ready to play the games in a few weeks. Not as much about developing guys for the future. This means identifying your 2 deep early and pouring every ounce into their preparedness.

Not dissimilar from what other coaches will also be doing, but most want to very nearly identify their 2 deep coming out of spring and then provide newcomers a few key chances to unquestioningly break in early in fall camp. Setting our practices will be a lot about knowing the guys and then projecting who has/must/will develop.

Probably a lot fewer surprises on the 2 deep and a focus on preventing injuries early on.

I would hope that the NCAA would have an extended fall camp (or summer camp) allowed to make up for the loss of spring practice.

An example of a possible middle approach -- allow practices in the summer for the team, but plan on no fans in the stadium for games during the season.

We are living in different times in uncharted waters. All college athletic programs are in the same boat. Each Head Coach of every program will have to assess their path forward. In the end, it will be the players who make the difference and win/lose on the field. IMO, what the players are doing now, individually, on their own, with their conditioning and training will make the biggest difference. Those coaches that stay on top of their players, at this critical time, will be the programs that will succeed.

A quote from Chris Doyle (S & C coach @ Iowa) in todays OWH; "stress and adversity tends to break the weak and strengthen the strong' regarding individualized S & G programs tailored to their situations with a regular routine focusing on sleep and nutrition. Pretty much says it all. Hope our guys are doing the same.

Last edited:
A quote from Chris Doyle (S & C coach @ Iowa) in todays OWH; "stress and adversity tends to break the weak and strengthen the strong' regarding individualized S & G programs tailored to their situations with a regular roution focusing on spllet and nutrition. Pretty much says it all. Hope our guys are doing the same.
Agree

There will be no college football this fall. The NFL is already looking to schedule Saturday games as a possibility as of today.
Disneyworld has already given up on this years chances of opening, no concerts, no nothing. thanks CHINA!

I SR laden team with lots of starts returning certainly has an advantage of a team getting ready to unleash a bunch of redshirt guys. Time will tell. On the upside our early schedule might give us time to get the young ones lined out. On the downside, the young ones might make the easy early schedule more difficult. Time will tell.
I know what you mean, but that early half of our schedule is no cakewalk whatsoever. I don't think we are near good enough to write it off as 6-7 early gimme's. Cincy and SDSU, Purdue, NW, yikes.

A quote from Chris Doyle (S & C coach @ Iowa) in todays OWH; "stress and adversity tends to break the weak and strengthen the strong' regarding individualized S & G programs tailored to their situations with a regular roution focusing on spllet and nutrition. Pretty much says it all. Hope our guys are doing the same.
roution and spllet???????? Maybe this is why Iowa kicks our rears in recent years?

I know what you mean, but that early half of our schedule is no cakewalk whatsoever. I don't think we are near good enough to write it off as 6-7 early gimme's. Cincy and SDSU, Purdue, NW, yikes.

Not typically teams one would list in a statement followed by the word yikes. I sure hope those teams aren't putting fear into us. We aren't necessarily way out of their league, but I don't know about Yikes.

We're gonna see a lot of Backyard Football this fall. I expect a lot of busted plays, odd scrambles and half-baked concepts that result in 11-man dogpiles and lots of chaos.

And I mean that outside of just Nebraska. It's gonna be a fun season in the sense that things will be wildly unpredictable.

I think that it will be very rough for the first week, improve every week after that, and by midseason it will look like the same quality as any other year. There's more improvement in the week after the first game than any other point in the season.

I SR laden team with lots of starts returning certainly has an advantage of a team getting ready to unleash a bunch of redshirt guys. Time will tell. On the upside our early schedule might give us time to get the young ones lined out. On the downside, the young ones might make the easy early schedule more difficult. Time will tell.

The components of the team that are the most difficult to gel are breaking in a new QB and melding together lots of new O-linemen. We're as solid as can be in those areas. Throw in a stud RB, and I would hope that we would plan to go into game 1 and just run Mills at them until they stop him. I also think that that would match up well against Purdue's offense. From the perspective of having so little time to work together, we're definitely in a lot better place than most other teams for that first game, including Purdue.

Not typically teams one would list in a statement followed by the word yikes. I sure hope those teams aren't putting fear into us. We aren't necessarily way out of their league, but I don't know about Yikes.
Cincinatti was a very good team at the end of the year. Yes, they're an AAC team, but they would have beaten a lot of B1G teams, too. We have no right to badmouth Purdue until we've beaten them a few times in a row. SDSU is that annoying type of FCS team that everybody expects you to whallop, but they can beat good FBS teams. They should have beat Minnesota last year, and they should have beat TCU a few years back. Both of those teams were much better than we were last year. Central Michigan is a good MAC team. Again, it's a no-win situation as everyone expects us to win, and probably win big, but they're good enough to beat us.

I'm tired of our fans acting like we just show up with our uniforms, and it's a win. Those days have been over for awhile.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back