• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Lamar Jackson Quote

berryhusker

Travel Squad
15 Year Member
I read LJ's interview on the Charriker Chronicles and this response really stood out to me. This is just his opinion, but it did cause my eyebrows to raise.

"COVID-19 is not good for the Huskers in my opinion. I feel like we need all the reps to improve the pieces on our team. There are a lot of young guys who have to step up and a lot that has to be done on the field when it comes to the work side of it. As far as Frost, I just expect Frost to be Frost. Plan and prepare guys as well as possible and try to find competitive advantages anywhere he can. With all the missed practices and reps, if football does go on like normal, he’s going to have to lean on his star guys a lot more than expected."

I know several have mentioned that we've had 2 practices total since the Iowa game, and that has to be extremely tough on the younger guys, who we really need to develop. Curious what others think.

Last edited:

I read LA's interview on the Charriker Chronicles and this response really stood out to me. This is just his opinion, but it did cause my eyebrows to raise.

"COVID-19 is not good for the Huskers in my opinion. I feel like we need all the reps to improve the pieces on our team. There are a lot of young guys who have to step up and a lot that has to be done on the field when it comes to the work side of it. As far as Frost, I just expect Frost to be Frost. Plan and prepare guys as well as possible and try to find competitive advantages anywhere he can. With all the missed practices and reps, if football does go on like normal, he’s going to have to lean on his star guys a lot more than expected."

I know several have mentioned that we've had 2 practices total since the Iowa game, and that has to be extremely tough on the younger guys, who we really need to develop. Curious what others think.
We are living in different times in uncharted waters. All college athletic programs are in the same boat. Each Head Coach of every program will have to assess their path forward. In the end, it will be the players who make the difference and win/lose on the field. IMO, what the players are doing now, individually, on their own, with their conditioning and training will make the biggest difference. Those coaches that stay on top of their players, at this critical time, will be the programs that will succeed.

I read LA's interview on the Charriker Chronicles and this response really stood out to me. This is just his opinion, but it did cause my eyebrows to raise.

When did the Republican senator from Tennessee join the team?

Agree that every team is in the same boat with lack of practice/weight training, but Nebraska is still behind other Big 10 schools with developing overall talent/physical conditioning and the gap cannot close until we get practicing and in the weight room. Lets just hope the players are being creative in keeping up with their physical conditioning in the event that we actually have a football season so that we don't fall further behind.

We're gonna see a lot of Backyard Football this fall. I expect a lot of busted plays, odd scrambles and half-baked concepts that result in 11-man dogpiles and lots of chaos.

And I mean that outside of just Nebraska. It's gonna be a fun season in the sense that things will be wildly unpredictable.

We're gonna see a lot of Backyard Football this fall. I expect a lot of busted plays, odd scrambles and half-baked concepts that result in 11-man dogpiles and lots of chaos.

And I mean that outside of just Nebraska. It's gonna be a fun season in the sense that things will be wildly unpredictable.

I’ll be happy if we see any football at all and even happier if I get to see some of it in person.

That will be interesting to see. Martinez showed some great improv his freshman season, maybe that will be something we can rely on this upcoming season.

Holy smokes! That's why I shouldn't post before heading to bed, what a brain lapse! Title updated.
I originally thought you meant to post something about my State Senator in Hot Topics-I figured no harm no foul but lets see whats up with Senator Alexander. As I read on, I was trying to figure out his connection to Nebraska football. Thanks for the laugh!

I read LJ's interview on the Charriker Chronicles and this response really stood out to me. This is just his opinion, but it did cause my eyebrows to raise.

Definitely a good quote and something to think about. We have turned the roster over, but we haven't reached the place where our roster can reload on an annual basis. 2 more classes to get to that. Therefore, each practice matters for us.

When we finally hit fall camp, it has to be about getting guys ready to play the games in a few weeks. Not as much about developing guys for the future. This means identifying your 2 deep early and pouring every ounce into their preparedness.

Not dissimilar from what other coaches will also be doing, but most want to very nearly identify their 2 deep coming out of spring and then provide newcomers a few key chances to unquestioningly break in early in fall camp. Setting our practices will be a lot about knowing the guys and then projecting who has/must/will develop.

Probably a lot fewer surprises on the 2 deep and a focus on preventing injuries early on.

I really don't think this is good for anyone. Sure our team is young and needs development but this much time off for anyone in a team sport isn't going to be good.

The only real advantage I see is for injured players (especially ones that had surgeries) haveing extra time to heal and build strength backup.

I SR laden team with lots of starts returning certainly has an advantage of a team getting ready to unleash a bunch of redshirt guys. Time will tell. On the upside our early schedule might give us time to get the young ones lined out. On the downside, the young ones might make the easy early schedule more difficult. Time will tell.

Definitely a good quote and something to think about. We have turned the roster over, but we haven't reached the place where our roster can reload on an annual basis. 2 more classes to get to that. Therefore, each practice matters for us.

When we finally hit fall camp, it has to be about getting guys ready to play the games in a few weeks. Not as much about developing guys for the future. This means identifying your 2 deep early and pouring every ounce into their preparedness.

Not dissimilar from what other coaches will also be doing, but most want to very nearly identify their 2 deep coming out of spring and then provide newcomers a few key chances to unquestioningly break in early in fall camp. Setting our practices will be a lot about knowing the guys and then projecting who has/must/will develop.

Probably a lot fewer surprises on the 2 deep and a focus on preventing injuries early on.
Your comments make me wonder if we’ll see substantial improvement in the last half of upcoming season again .... simply with game and practice reps accumulating.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back