• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Lamar Jackson Quote

Cincinatti was a very good team at the end of the year. Yes, they're an AAC team, but they would have beaten a lot of B1G teams, too. We have no right to badmouth Purdue until we've beaten them a few times in a row. SDSU is that annoying type of FCS team that everybody expects you to whallop, but they can beat good FBS teams. They should have beat Minnesota last year, and they should have beat TCU a few years back. Both of those teams were much better than we were last year. Central Michigan is a good MAC team. Again, it's a no-win situation as everyone expects us to win, and probably win big, but they're good enough to beat us.

I'm tired of our fans acting like we just show up with our uniforms, and it's a win. Those days have been over for awhile.

We were so good for so long....and it’s hard for us old guys to get our brains around the fact that those days are long gone. We’re kind of stuck on who we were and blind to who we are.

Who are we? Right now Nebraska is program with a lot of resources that is underachieving in a tough league. We need to capture a few breaks and find some consistency in order to turn the corner and become a good team. Finding a way to win games against Purdue would be a good start.

Winning games with good coaching decent talent and some development got us nine wins, rarely upsets.
This has been going on for quite some time.

This staff has upped the recruiting, appears to have widened the development, plus,they went undefeated, beating at least one team they shouldn't have.

Things look right, it will take a little more time.

Cincinatti was a very good team at the end of the year. Yes, they're an AAC team, but they would have beaten a lot of B1G teams, too. We have no right to badmouth Purdue until we've beaten them a few times in a row. SDSU is that annoying type of FCS team that everybody expects you to whallop, but they can beat good FBS teams. They should have beat Minnesota last year, and they should have beat TCU a few years back. Both of those teams were much better than we were last year. Central Michigan is a good MAC team. Again, it's a no-win situation as everyone expects us to win, and probably win big, but they're good enough to beat us.

I'm tired of our fans acting like we just show up with our uniforms, and it's a win. Those days have been over for awhile.
THANK YOU

Not typically teams one would list in a statement followed by the word yikes. I sure hope those teams aren't putting fear into us. We aren't necessarily way out of their league, but I don't know about Yikes.
I will refer to what @Middle-aged_Ball_Coach said above. Those 4 teams I listed are no slouches. Whether they are "yikes" or not, we aren't good enough to walk in on a Saturday and beat people at will right now. Will we be able to in the future? I think so, I hope so. But right now, at least from what I've seen in the past 30-40 games, nobody is a gimme for us right now. We have been, um, not good at football lately.

I’ll be happy if we see any football at all and even happier if I get to see some of it in person.
I agree, I really want to see my friends' kids play, one starting QB in high school, one LB in DII. Social distancing shouldn't be too hard at their games, fairly big stands, typically smaller crowds, but if the kids can't be in school in the first place, it will suck.

Regarding this season's schedule -- and any concept that the first seven games will be anything less than very challenging ...

Remember last season? We didn't play a single non-conference team that qualified for a bowl game. And we struggled to put away a 2-10 South Alabama team and lost to lowly Colorado. Guess what? Every non-conference team on our 2020 schedule qualified for the post-season (assuming we even play those games this season). Cincinnati has won 22 games over the past two seasons. It took Nebraska the past four seasons combined to win that many games (the largest chunk coming with a 9-win season in 2016 under Riley).

Also in our first seven games last season, we needed an incredible comeback to beat Illinois by 4. We needed a wounded duck miracle FG in the final seconds to beat the worst Northwestern team this century. Both teams again appear in our first seven of 2020. And yes, remember, Purdue is 2-0 versus Frost.

Nebraska is going to need to prove they can go 6-1 or 7-0 in the first seven games of 2020 -- because the evidence is simply not there. Doesn't mean they can't or won't, but there isn't a team (minus Rutgers) on our opening seven games of the 2020 schedule that couldn't have beaten Nebraska in 2019. And even Rutgers is likely to be significantly improved in 2020 with Schiano back at the helm.

Now regarding Lamar Jackson's thoughts ... that's fair. Most certainly, the lack of spring drills hurts every team. Some more than others. The teams that are truly at a disadvantage are those with a new head coach and staff. Next, are those teams with a new starting quarterback. Nebraska falls somewhere in the middle. More returning starters and staff than a lot of teams, but struggled enough last season that they could really use the work.

Last edited:
Regarding this season's schedule -- and any concept that the first seven games will be anything less than very challenging ...

Remember last season? We didn't play a single non-conference team that qualified for a bowl game. And we struggled to put away a 2-10 South Alabama team and lost to lowly Colorado. Guess what? Every non-conference team on our 2020 schedule qualified for the post-season (assuming we even play those games this season). Cincinnati has won 22 games over the past two seasons. It took Nebraska the past four seasons combined to win that many games (the largest chunk coming with a 9-win season in 2016 under Riley).

Also in our first seven games last season, we needed an incredible comeback to beat Illinois by 4. We needed a wounded duck miracle FG in the final seconds to beat the worst Northwestern team this century. Both teams again appear in our first seven of 2020. And yes, remember, Purdue is 2-0 versus Frost.

Nebraska is going to need to prove they can go 6-1 or 7-0 in the first seven games of 2020 -- because the evidence is simply not there. Doesn't mean they can't or won't, but there isn't a team (minus Rutgers) on our opening seven games of the 2020 schedule that couldn't have beaten Nebraska in 2019. And even Rutgers is likely to be significantly improved in 2020 with Schiano back at the helm.

Now regarding Lamar Jackson's thoughts ... that's fair. Most certainly, the lack of spring drills hurts every team. Some more than others. The teams that are truly at a disadvantage are those with a new head coach and staff. Next, are those teams with a new starting quarterback. Nebraska falls somewhere in the middle. More returning starters and staff than a lot of teams, but struggled enough last season that they could really use the work.
Well said. I am grateful to have back all of those offensive starters. That helps a lot.

Agree to a point. Biggest thing is NU has a lot of returning players and IMO dropped the two bad coaches. These other teams lost players too.

I read LJ's interview on the Charriker Chronicles and this response really stood out to me. This is just his opinion, but it did cause my eyebrows to raise.

"COVID-19 is not good for the Huskers in my opinion. I feel like we need all the reps to improve the pieces on our team. There are a lot of young guys who have to step up and a lot that has to be done on the field when it comes to the work side of it. As far as Frost, I just expect Frost to be Frost. Plan and prepare guys as well as possible and try to find competitive advantages anywhere he can. With all the missed practices and reps, if football does go on like normal, he’s going to have to lean on his star guys a lot more than expected."

I know several have mentioned that we've had 2 practices total since the Iowa game, and that has to be extremely tough on the younger guys, who we really need to develop. Curious what others think.
Lamar is right. I posted a similar comment a couple weeks ago. Last year we suffered from poor execution and didn't start to gel until the end of the season. 2018 was similar. With no bowl practices and only 2 spring practices, it's hard to imagine a successful 2020 season with only a fall camp to prepare. That's not to mention the setback in S&C. We have a young team. Our complex offense requires reps as the price of admission. Yes, other teams are dealing with the same issues, but most don't have as much ground to cover as we do. I'm a Husker red kool-aid drinking optimist, but with our sneaky difficult schedule I find it difficult to see a path to 6 wins. I certainly hope I'm wrong, but fear I'm right. A cancelled 2020 season would be disappointing but might be in the best long term interest of the program.

There will be no college football this fall. The NFL is already looking to schedule Saturday games as a possibility as of today.
Disneyworld has already given up on this years chances of opening, no concerts, no nothing. thanks CHINA!
Then undoubtedly there will be no NFL season either. If any of the 32 NFL cities have directed health measures that preclude football, then there is no season. As far as health measures are concerned we can't get 2 jurisdictions to agree, let alone 32.

Its an interesting quote and probably has some truth to it. But we have to remember no one else is practicing either.
But how many teams got to get in extra practice and play in a bowl game....those teams have the leg up on everyone who did not...IMO

But how many teams got to get in extra practice and play in a bowl game....those teams have the leg up on everyone who did not...IMO

True. It only adds to the fact of how much we crapped the bed with a relatively easier schedule last season hurts us. It hurt us then, it hurts us now. It put added pressure on the need for a winning season in 2020 -- with a significantly more difficult schedule. And then, as you say, we lost out on practices in December and again this spring, making digging out of the hole even more difficult. Yet if we'd just won six games last season, avoiding a third straight losing season, and made a bowl game, the pressure would be so much less now.

no question Nebraska football has been hurt by the lack of bowl practices and now the ca'bogus"virus disaster. I pray that this mess ends soon and we get back to life as we should.

Well said. I am grateful to have back all of those offensive starters. That helps a lot.
True dat. But I wonder if the lack of spring puts a HUGE crimp in the plan to move Farniok to guard? And does it make it tougher to swap out a senior returning starter on the other side for a redshirt freshman?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back