• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

LA Tech Week Practice Thread: 21 Sept. Coach Ruhle

Rhule is the first coach we've had in a while that I feel like both understands and appreciates the fanbase he has behind him at Nebraska.

Frost seemed to understand it, but was overwhelmed by it.
Riley it was hard to tell, since he wasn't here long.
Pelini seemed to be mostly annoyed by it.
Callahan seemed to not care about it.

I think Rhule gets it and embraces it in the right way. I think it will take some time to get all of the players realizing what it means to the state and how to use that as positive motivation.
Pelini was annoyed with media not so much the fanbase

I knew they were out, but Rhule seemed very upset about Rahmir, so I was wondering how it went.
Yeah, he did. He also was talking about how the players have to take advantage of every opportunity and play to Nebraska standards because there's a farmer out there on his tractor who only gets to listen to the games.

I love Rhule for all that and believe he's completely sincere. I hope by his identifying so strongly with the players and the fans and the state it not only drives success but makes him want to stay a long, long time.

I hope too he isn't too heavy with that stuff with the players, so they have room to breath. Rightly motivated, valuing what's important, but also just 20 years old, partly playing just for the joy of playing.

If I had to guess, though, my money is on Rhule being able to hit the right notes in ways I can't even hear, as far as motivating and leading. I think he's probably forgotten more about all that than I've ever even known.

I think in the next few years we may see it's not just talk and this guy can build something. It might not be quite as tall as TO did, but then TO didn't coach in an era where half the top 10 was in your own conference, and when for money reasons, EVERY school was committed to competing at maximum levels. But even if it's not quite that impressive it competes hard every day with everybody and wins enough and on ocassion a lot so we can all be proud.

Last edited:
Yeah, he did. He also was talking about how the players have to take advantage of every opportunity and play to Nebraska standards because there's a farmer out there on his tractor who only gets to listen to the games.

I love Rhule for all that and believe he's completely sincere. I hope by his identifying so strongly with the players and the fans and the state it not only drives success but makes him want to stay a long, long time.

I hope too he isn't too heavy with that stuff with the players, so they have room to breath. Rightly motivated, valuing what's important, but also just 20 years old, partly playing just for the joy of playing.

If I had to guess, though, my money is on Rhule being able to hit the right notes in ways I can't even hear, as far as motivating and leading. I think he's probably forgotten more about all that than I've ever even known.

I think in the next few years we may see it's not just talk and this guy can build something. It might not be quite as tall as TO did, but then TO didn't coach in an era where half the top 10 was in your own conference, and when for money reasons, EVERY school was committed to competing at maximum levels. But even if it's not quite that impressive it competes hard every day with everybody and wins enough and on ocassion a lot so we can all be proud.
But recruiting players who know they'll be competing with the best, having the best facilities, the best coaching and one of the best brands and fanbases has its own attractions TO never had in full either.
How many players came here through the portal for the very reason but to play on that level.
And to elevate yourself into the top echelon of the Big, you're already there.

Considering the short amount of time he was down there, a lot of high school coaches and folks from the state of Texas find Coach Rhule very appealing for the same reasons you stated above.

Pelini was annoyed with media not so much the fanbase
Umm he did once say F these fair weather fans. I thought about posting the video but it would definitely break the rules of the board. just do a search of "Bo Pelini fair weather fans" It will come up.
I agree that he was often more irritated with the media, but as @Huskerthom noted some was directed at the fanbase. He didn't care for anyone that questioned his decisions or thought they knew more than him (and maybe he should, given he is the head coach).

You are right, there is a delicate balance between putting too much on their shoulders and making them realize that they are playing for a lot more than themselves. Nebraska isn't the only place where football means a lot, but it is definitely one of the few where it means this much.

I think he was also hitting on something that we've had to touch on with kids I've coached before. It is really easy to make excuses or take plays/days off. You can justify those things in your head. But, there might come a day that you are robbed of the opportunity to get to play anymore. If that happens, would you live with regret that you didn't give more when you could? That can seem a little heavy, but especially in a sport like football it is a reality.

...Rhule seemed very upset about Rahmir....

I tend to think HCMR especially felt bad for Johnson in that Rahmir was a veteran who was in the midst of his fifth season with Nebraska. Likely ending his time here due to the injury.

As you might expect from a coach that places such an emphasis and commitment on overall development, Rhule seems to really value and appreciate these young men (and the relationships he builds with them) in ways that transcend football and/or their play on the field.

Last edited:

I thought it was telling on this topic when he was talking about making plays. Stay in the system, but express yourself in that system and make it yours. That feels to me exactly what you are asking for here.

This actually is not accurate. He had 3 fumbles last year. For some reason, ESPN's stats don't show the fumbles when looking at the year as a whole, but you have to look at the individual game stat lines.

Regardless, Chase Brown fumbled way more per carry and they ran him like 350 times.
That's the surprise!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back