• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Jaiden Francois in Transfer Portal

Did you ever second guess Frank, callahan, Bo or Riley? I stated it wasn't an exact science. For the record, I've been married for 36 years and counting and I've hired approximately 30 people in my career that is still going. I've made some bad hires (probably about 10%) and ironically they've been the ones with the best resumes on paper. The best hires were the ones I knew the most about or I knew people who I trusted that knew them. I remember reading or watching a program where the coach said he asked the janitors about the player and if they were a jerk to the janitor, he didn't recruit them.

I agree with your assessment on Frost's first class in that is was a scramble, 2019 they did a very good job, but there have just been too many transfers for everyone to give Frost a completely free pass on everything. As *** has stated, we are now well below the 85 number and when they leave this early, we basically have got nothing out of them and it kills quality depth. When he was hired, he was paid top 10-15 money, so the criticism is mostly valid IMO. Right now, we aren't even a top 30 program as measured by wins and losses Someone stated early that Frost was sticking to his guns on discipline and standards. I happen to know that it wasn't the case with Washington and he was treated much differently than other players and it caused issues. Maybe the reason for a few transfers and a near mutiny out in Maryland over practicing in the cold weather. Washington was Frost's recruit and was very talented, but wasn't a fit. We've been getting beat consistently by two programs who do a better vetting process than we do: Wisconsin and Iowa. They know what they're looking for and their players seem to stick around a little longer. Yes, it's never perfect, but our vetting process needs serious improvement.

So to best state my opinion and everyone has one, I expected more from Frost, especially in the culture area, because we paid him a very good salary and he was our undisputed top choice. Just like in business or sports (think high paid free agents) the more you're paid, the more that is expected. What bothers me is that for every failure, most people make up excuses and now Covid-19 is the excuse for just about everything. These kids are from far away, so when we recruit them, we need to do more to make sure they aren't going to cut and run before even going through a season or fall camp. This indicates a poor vetting process. A previous post said they saw how stacked the DB room was and that was a factor. That's weak sauce as the room is the same as when they were recruited, so I totally don't understand that take.

I know you're friends with Frost and I want him to succeed just as much as anyone, but a lot of the criticism is valid. He has not done a good job "yet". If I missed a 6 wins season or a bowl game, please remind me.

I hear what you're saying, and agree with a lot of it. Where you lose me is thinking that Scott is either good at what he does, or he isn't. Black or white.

What seems to be the case in hindsight is that we hired a young coach (relatively speaking), who we thought would be a good, long-term fit for the program. And the last few years, we've all had a front-row seat to the growing process. OTJ training, if you will.

I don't think Frost will need too many go-arounds (aka "football seasons") to figure it out, but it's going to take more than 1-2, apparently. Until I see evidence to the contrary, I believe that Scott is too smart, too competitive, and too dedicated to not be able to put all the pieces together – eventually. The only question is if we, the fans, are willing to give him enough runway to do it.

BTW – how many years did it take for TO to solve the "can't beat Oklahoma" riddle?

Last edited:

Mathematically it's not good to lose 50% of a recruiting class only two years in. That's what gets you in our year 3 2020 season situation of taking your max amount of players in a recruiting class and still can't get to 85 scholarships.

Riley culture guys, Frost recruits, mental health, Covid, at some point we need to keep guys around under this staffs watch.
(Bolded #1) Of course you are referring to the transition class that frost had weeks to assemble when you say this. I think we can give a little lee-way there.

(Bolded #2) Frost’s first full class (2019, ranked 17th nationally) still has 26/27 signees on the roster, 26 OUT OF 27. Including some future studs. Thats pretty damn good if you ask me.

Yes we lost 2 big recruits from the ‘20 class (Henry, Francois) but it was pretty much a singing day surprise we got those guys in the first place.

I just think its WAY to early to start calling the coaching staff out for attrition, especially when most who have left were buried on the depth chart, or had personal issues.

Last edited:
Mathematically it's not good to lose 50% of a recruiting class only two years in. That's what gets you in our year 3 2020 season situation of taking your max amount of players in a recruiting class and still can't get to 85 scholarships.

Riley culture guys, Frost recruits, mental health, Covid, at some point we need to keep guys around under this staffs watch.
I was going to reply to your “how can coaches cut ties with players and not be punished” comment from a few days back, but i see youve since deleted it.

(Bolded #1) Of course you are referring to the transition class that frost had weeks to assemble when you say this. I think we can give a little lee-way there.

(Bolded #2) Frost’s first full class (2019, ranked 17th nationally) still has 26/27 signees on the roster, 26 OUT OF 27. Including some future studs. Thats pretty damn good if you ask me.

Yes we lost 2 big recruits from the ‘20 class (Henry, Francois) but it was pretty much a singing day surprise we got those guys in the first place.

I just think its WAY to early to start calling the coaching staff out for attrition, especially when most who have left were buried on the depth chart, or had personal issues.
We are 3 years in while compiling our 4th recruiting class and couldn't get to 85 scholarships by signing our max amount of guys. Who should we "call out" for it?

We fired Riley after this upcoming season and Frost has to get to 10 wins just to match RIley's first 3 years. Getting rid of players in the first season was definitely part of the solution for this staff coming to Lincoln. Year 3 it is part of our problem.

So, honest question. Is it better to have the "misses" of a class move on quickly to re-issue the schollie the next year? We all know that most classes have a less than 50% hit rate when it comes to contributors. Is it better to have guys stick around until year 4 and take that spot and be unhappy/never contribute, or move on early and possibly find someone else.

Obviously you want players in the system who want to be at NU and want to succeed, but maybe it is better to know early?

So, honest question. Is it better to have the "misses" of a class move on quickly to re-issue the schollie the next year? We all know that most classes have a less than 50% hit rate when it comes to contributors. Is it better to have guys stick around until year 4 and take that spot and be unhappy/never contribute, or move on early and possibly find someone else.

Obviously you want players in the system who want to be at NU and want to succeed, but maybe it is better to know early?
I think it's definitely better to have "misses" or guys that don't fit what you are trying to do leave as soon as possible. The problem is, you can't have Francois and Gray's. You can't have 50% of a class leave year 2.

We gotta do a better job identifying.

How dare you bring facts to this discussion!:Sarcasm: Seriously, though, you are spot on and thanks for the info for the 2019 class, I didn't realize we still had that many still here!!

We are 3 years in while compiling our 4th recruiting class and couldn't get to 85 scholarships by signing our max amount of guys. Who should we "call out" for it?

We fired Riley after this upcoming season and Frost has to get to 10 wins just to match RIley's first 3 years. Getting rid of players in the first season was definitely part of the solution for this staff coming to Lincoln. Year 3 it is part of our problem.
I'll bet Frost wishes he would of ALSO inherited Bo's players when he got here, instead Riley's players (not slamming those players but there was a huge difference). IMO, if you put Frost in when Riley got here, I would dare say that Frost would be consistently winning 9 games a year, like Bo did....and then, with his better recruiting results, there would probably been at least one or two 10-11 wins seasons. But this is all JMO.

I'll bet Frost wishes he would of ALSO inherited Bo's players when he got here, instead Riley's players (not slamming those players but there was a huge difference). IMO, if you put Frost in when Riley got here, I would dare say that Frost would be consistently winning 9 games a year, like Bo did....and then, with his better recruiting results, there would probably been at least one or two 10-11 wins seasons. But this is all JMO.
I hear this all the time and it's a circular argument so I just deal with what happened. No one can win when you play the hypothetical game since it can be manipulated to what side you are on. We just say it to make us feel better about what's happened. It's all a pointless argument to me because we've underachieved, no matter what coaches players we are talking about. Whatever talent we did have year 2 of Frost was better than 2019 Colorado, Indiana, and Purdue, but we were 0-3 against them. Beat those teams that you have better talent than and we are 8-4 and in a bowl game year 2. So it's not a talent issue.

I'll just say I don't think Frosts comment of "we are going to be dangerous in 2019" after spring practices came because he thought they were talent deprived.

Last edited:
Good question. I mean he either succeeds in winning or he fails and get's moved on by the AD. Its his ship and these things happen. What matters is what happens on the field.

Right. I don’t see anyone responding to the question. To me it’s just complaining and stating the obvious. ‘They need to do better.‘ Well, no kidding. I guarantee that nobody wants better outcomes more than Frost. He and the staff are clearly putting in the work. So I would love to know what people mean when they say we need to hold Frost accountable. So far it’s been crickets.

Right. I don’t see anyone responding to the question. To me it’s just complaining and stating the obvious. ‘They need to do better.‘ Well, no kidding. I guarantee that nobody wants better outcomes more than Frost. He and the staff are clearly putting in the work. So I would love to know what people mean when they say we need to hold Frost accountable. So far it’s been crickets.
I'm a SF guy. Super excited when he became our HC. I going to hold out hope until the bitter end that he succeeds. Patience Husker nation...patience.

I think it's definitely better to have "misses" or guys that don't fit what you are trying to do leave as soon as possible. The problem is, you can't have Francois and Gray's. You can't have 50% of a class leave year 2.

We gotta do a better job identifying.
According to you. Then again you aren’t employed by the university, or make a living critiquing them, so your statement is the opinion of a basic fan. I don’t agree, which as a basic fan means the same. Zilch.

Edit: I realize that came across too snarky, but the point being you are bagging on 2 extremely talented guys who just about any program would have been thrilled to add to a roster. Were we supposed to ignore that opportunity because maybe we would have some mysterious virus that hit the nation? Should we have just let Francois slide because he got cold feet at the alter? Take covid out of the equation, and I think both of these guys show up when expected, and are on the roster this year. Are you really saying you think Frost and gang should have just taken the NDSU guys instead?

I think we both know the answer to that.

Last edited:

We need to not be the top school (tied with Maryland) in the big ten on transfer numbers. Middle of the pack would be more acceptable and as long as it doesn't put us well below the 85 scholarship mark. Maybe even if we only have one player transfer before they even give it a chance. I hope that answers your question.
So we are tied with Maryland, gee, that's a shock considering we both have the most recent staff changes that don't involve promoting from within. Let's see where we are after we aren't the school with arguably the newest/youngest staff. A coaching change nearly always facilitates player turnover, and we likely heightened that with our first class being pretty thrown together, with a mix of Riley holdovers and last minute additions. Frost and Company knew we needed speed, we needed some playmakers, so they took who they could to try and find a few. For me, the biggest disappointment with the first class is the defections from the secondary. I think we had some very talented guys there, and for whatever reason, they chose to leave. It has me wonder if Fisher is just a tough guy to play for if you aren't wired right.

While I know it's fashionable for some of the folks here to point fingers at the numbers of defections in this class, to me it's a throw away, and any talent we get from it is total gravy, and some of that gravy isn't too shabby. AMartinez, Deontai, Honas, Britt, Lil Farn, Tannor, Wildeman, Jurgens, Rogers all add depth and/or starting talent. Several of the defections were reaches, but that's what happens when you jump into a situation late, which we knew was going to happen. Some left because they needed to, late grabs are bad for both parties more often than not. We can debate all day about who is at fault when a kid screws up, but I'd suggest we try to remember just how much crap some of our guys in the glory years pulled, and it either wasn't publicized or people let the staff deal with it. It's a new world and every program is learning how to deal with it.

We are in the most fluid player movement in college football history, and that coupled with Covid has created a really strange dynamic. Guys who in the past would likely have stuck things out are now using all the NCAA flexibility to make a quick exit without the usual one year sitting out ramifications. The excuse of Covid or mental health, I believe are being used even when that isn't the predominant factor. We have to realize this might hit us a little harder than many of the more established and/or successful programs. We don't have a ton of experience on the staff. We don't have a program that guys are drooling to be a part of because we are strong contenders for a shot at NC's or Conference Championships at this point. We are a work in progress, and some of that work includes building a stronger internal leadership within the roster. Until we have that, we will be at risk of losing players. This 'Rebuilding Process' wasn't just about getting Nebraska back to challenging for a B1G Championship game, it was a ground up project, from facilities, to support, to S&C, to systems, talent, recruiting, and yes, building leadership and identity. We've had limited leadership on the roster to this point. Last year was probably worse than the prior year, so that element in critical this year.

I played for a couple of college teams, and even 40 years ago, the leadership on the roster was a key component in the success of the team. My first team had 1 senior, who was a complete tool, and 2 really weak juniors. We had 2 pretty solid classes of sophs and frosh, but a bunch ended up transferring. A sense of direction has to come from more than just the staff, and we didn't have it and guys got frustrated. The second team was very well established, and the upperclassmen took their job seriously in creating an identity. We almost never lost guys to transfer, and we took in a ton of transfers who wanted to be a part of that. The current group of Huskers are working on that, and it's not really something that the staff will have a ton of influence on. They can jumpstart the leadership council, and support those who start to rise up as leaders, but there is only so much nurturing they can do. If they push too much, that looks like favoritism, and the leadership looks manufactured. Let the process work, and recognize that some programs who may have had success sooner, likely had some better internal leadership that we sorely lack.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back