• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Jaiden Francois in Transfer Portal

It bothers me when people seem to live their lives second guessing. If you can't recognize that Frost's first class was a last minute scramble, and imperfect even by his own admission, then you just must feel like complaining. The fact we are pulling kids out of some of the hotbeds for football talent, and asking them to come to a place most have never been to is always going to be tricky. And please don't say that's why we need to keep all the local talent, because first we can't survive living off that, and second, there are always going to be kids interested in heading to somewhere other than Lincoln, and until we build a consistent winner, that will be more frequent.

Have you ever made a wrong hire? How many people have you hired, and had them not work out, or simply leave for greener pastures? Have you been divorced? Is there a bigger sign of a complete failure to vet than divorce? Have you ever changed jobs? It's pretty obvious if you change a job you didn't do so because you were thrilled with the position, so did you fail to evaluate the job, or did the company fail because they didn't see your shortcomings?

Washington was known in the sense he'd had some issues, academics were not a strength, and he was going to be a rehabilitation of sorts, but his talent was obvious, and considered worth the risk. The serial rapists were obviously missed by several programs, because their offer list was pretty solid. Do you expect a private detective be hired to dig into the lives of every kid? A kid like Gray said it was a family thing, then took his 4* talent to a far lower program. Should the staff have asked if he had family members with health issues? If they had asked, would we have turned him down?

I said it in another post, our own team leadership and locker room need to improve to help our players have a better bond within the program. I can think of a ton of situations in my life that a team mate was having some struggles, but we as a team pulled them out of their funk. Heck, read the story of Brook B. and how he was discussing leaving, only to have Graham talk him off the ledge. A stronger nucleus, that will go a long way to adding to the stability of the roster.

All of this can be true, and it can also be true that the staff has made some mistakes along the way. I have full confidence that they will correct these going forward.

I'm not saying: Fire Frost, but at some point he has to be accountable for all this turnover. It's too much any way you slice it.

What is the number that isn't too much? I haven't seen this "scale" to know if it is too much or not. Maybe it is just right and other schools should be encouraging more transfers since it has been made easier?

Some thoughts on the Francois and Grey transfers:

-- Grey seemed to have a legit family reason for transferring, and we will see where Francois ends up. I just have this strange feeling that Miami and perhaps some other schools in the southeast continued to recruit these guys after they signed with NU (and well before they entered the transfer portal).

-- Getting Terrance Lewis to come to NU was probably a pipe dream anyway, but I think Francois was one of the guys on the team that he knew well. So this can't help our already remote chances.

-- Are there any other flight risks in the 2020 class that could exit before playing a single game here? Any of the other Florida kids on "transfer portal watch"?

-- A popular narrative has been that Fisher has a deep room of DBs. Perhaps that is still true to some extent, but these two transfers certainly have an adverse impact on our depth and talent.

-- We also lost two 4* recruits from Frost's / Fisher's first class of DBs after one season. That makes four 4* DBs in three years who have transferred after or before their first season. I hope this is a coincidence and not a trend.

-- Fisher needs to bring in a big-time DB class in 2021.

-- Ending on a positive... hopefully this helps us secure Nadab Joseph's commitment, and maybe Dickerson gives us a second look if NU's depth was part of the reason why he decided to Row the Boat.

Terrence Lewis is close to Ronald Delancy and Marcus Fleming, not Francois. HS teammates with those two.

Side note: Lewis, who had briefly transferred to Chaminade-Madonna Prep in Hollywood has recently transferred back to Northwestern in Miami. I also find it unlikely that he would have been allowed to do that if the rumors were true as to why he had to transfer from there in the first place (and had posters on this board raking him over the coals for).

Also, a couple weeks ago he was named to MaxPreps' preseason All-America team.

Ya know, usually I am tough on Scott. But sitting here thinking that if he is having all these high profile transfers...leads me to believe one thing: that he’s sticking to the same message. You have to give him credit, he sticks to the same message and is consistent, I can’t believe I am saying this, but I would rather lose and stand up for what is right, than be a true loser. Boils back to a quote from the movie the Dark Knight: “You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.”

Saying one thing and then doing another is usually what causes a kid to transfer, not having a consistent approach that backs up what you preached on the recruiting trail. Not saying this is the case here, just think that logic is off a bit.

Saying one thing and then doing another is usually what causes a kid to transfer, not having a consistent approach that backs up what you preached on the recruiting trail. Not saying this is the case here, just think that logic is off a bit.
1595273599428.png

Yep, he doesn't need to be fired. All the articles about the massive roster turnover and changing the culture were interesting to read, definitely needed in some situations. But when we start losing guys this staff has brought in (2018, 2019, 2020), at some point we need to keep those guys or we get in situations like we are in heading into 2020 fall camp (third fall camp of this staff). And that situation is we signed almost our max amount of players (2 away) but we are still going into fall camp with 79 scholarship guys.

At some point we need to keep guys around.
Even if players don’t want to be here

In regard to that, better make sure you recruit people that want to be here. We are now losing more Frost recruits than "Riley culture" guys. That's why people have brought up that eventually there's some accountability with the current staff.

I have seen this comment or something similar multiple times here, that we need to hold the staff accountable. What exactly do ya all mean by that and what exactly does that look like? Serious question.

In regard to that, better make sure you recruit people that want to be here. We are now losing more Frost recruits than "Riley culture" guys. That's why people have brought up that eventually there's some accountability with the current staff.
There aren’t many Riley guys left, so mathematically, that’s inevitable.

I have seen this comment or something similar multiple times here, that we need to hold the staff accountable. What exactly do ya all mean by that and what exactly does that look like? Serious question.
Good question. I mean he either succeeds in winning or he fails and get's moved on by the AD. Its his ship and these things happen. What matters is what happens on the field.

It bothers me when people seem to live their lives second guessing. If you can't recognize that Frost's first class was a last minute scramble, and imperfect even by his own admission, then you just must feel like complaining. The fact we are pulling kids out of some of the hotbeds for football talent, and asking them to come to a place most have never been to is always going to be tricky. And please don't say that's why we need to keep all the local talent, because first we can't survive living off that, and second, there are always going to be kids interested in heading to somewhere other than Lincoln, and until we build a consistent winner, that will be more frequent.

Have you ever made a wrong hire? How many people have you hired, and had them not work out, or simply leave for greener pastures? Have you been divorced? Is there a bigger sign of a complete failure to vet than divorce? Have you ever changed jobs? It's pretty obvious if you change a job you didn't do so because you were thrilled with the position, so did you fail to evaluate the job, or did the company fail because they didn't see your shortcomings?

Washington was known in the sense he'd had some issues, academics were not a strength, and he was going to be a rehabilitation of sorts, but his talent was obvious, and considered worth the risk. The serial rapists were obviously missed by several programs, because their offer list was pretty solid. Do you expect a private detective be hired to dig into the lives of every kid? A kid like Gray said it was a family thing, then took his 4* talent to a far lower program. Should the staff have asked if he had family members with health issues? If they had asked, would we have turned him down?

I said it in another post, our own team leadership and locker room need to improve to help our players have a better bond within the program. I can think of a ton of situations in my life that a team mate was having some struggles, but we as a team pulled them out of their funk. Heck, read the story of Brook B. and how he was discussing leaving, only to have Graham talk him off the ledge. A stronger nucleus, that will go a long way to adding to the stability of the roster.

Did you ever second guess Frank, callahan, Bo or Riley? I stated it wasn't an exact science. For the record, I've been married for 36 years and counting and I've hired approximately 30 people in my career that is still going. I've made some bad hires (probably about 10%) and ironically they've been the ones with the best resumes on paper. The best hires were the ones I knew the most about or I knew people who I trusted that knew them. I remember reading or watching a program where the coach said he asked the janitors about the player and if they were a jerk to the janitor, he didn't recruit them.

I agree with your assessment on Frost's first class in that is was a scramble, 2019 they did a very good job, but there have just been too many transfers for everyone to give Frost a completely free pass on everything. As *** has stated, we are now well below the 85 number and when they leave this early, we basically have got nothing out of them and it kills quality depth. When he was hired, he was paid top 10-15 money, so the criticism is mostly valid IMO. Right now, we aren't even a top 30 program as measured by wins and losses Someone stated early that Frost was sticking to his guns on discipline and standards. I happen to know that it wasn't the case with Washington and he was treated much differently than other players and it caused issues. Maybe the reason for a few transfers and a near mutiny out in Maryland over practicing in the cold weather. Washington was Frost's recruit and was very talented, but wasn't a fit. We've been getting beat consistently by two programs who do a better vetting process than we do: Wisconsin and Iowa. They know what they're looking for and their players seem to stick around a little longer. Yes, it's never perfect, but our vetting process needs serious improvement.

So to best state my opinion and everyone has one, I expected more from Frost, especially in the culture area, because we paid him a very good salary and he was our undisputed top choice. Just like in business or sports (think high paid free agents) the more you're paid, the more that is expected. What bothers me is that for every failure, most people make up excuses and now Covid-19 is the excuse for just about everything. These kids are from far away, so when we recruit them, we need to do more to make sure they aren't going to cut and run before even going through a season or fall camp. This indicates a poor vetting process. A previous post said they saw how stacked the DB room was and that was a factor. That's weak sauce as the room is the same as when they were recruited, so I totally don't understand that take.

I know you're friends with Frost and I want him to succeed just as much as anyone, but a lot of the criticism is valid. He has not done a good job "yet". If I missed a 6 wins season or a bowl game, please remind me.

What is the number that isn't too much? I haven't seen this "scale" to know if it is too much or not. Maybe it is just right and other schools should be encouraging more transfers since it has been made easier?

We need to not be the top school (tied with Maryland) in the big ten on transfer numbers. Middle of the pack would be more acceptable and as long as it doesn't put us well below the 85 scholarship mark. Maybe even if we only have one player transfer before they even give it a chance. I hope that answers your question.

There aren’t many Riley guys left, so mathematically, that’s inevitable.
Mathematically it's not good to lose 50% of a recruiting class only two years in. That's what gets you in our year 3 2020 season situation of taking your max amount of players in a recruiting class and still can't get to 85 scholarships.

Riley culture guys, Frost recruits, mental health, Covid, at some point we need to keep guys around under this staffs watch.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back