• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Is Nebraska Next Season's Auburn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny you mention that. Christensen got picked up as the Utah OC and when they were introducing him to the public they had highlights of the Wyoming/Nebraska game running in the background

I hate being other people's highlight reel.

There is nothing wrong with high hopes. I certainly have them for 2014. I, and pretty much most on this board had them for 2013 as well. But when the team opens up with a horrible performance against a below average Wyoming team, fans have a right to voice their displeasure without having to hear a line of bs about how good Wyoming is or even worse, that they are not real fans because they see some negatives.

THe same Wyoming that many said after that game would go 8-4 9-3 at worse

Last edited:
To expand a bit, I will be ecstatic and surprised if we get mentioned, but not astounded. I do have hope the team can make a big step up in performance this year, just probably not this big a one.

Using NU's game with MSU last season as a measuring stick, it appears to me the Huskers have enough talent to win a B1G championship next year. However, if NU were to get into the play-offs, I think they might get overwhelmed by the team speed of clubs like Auburn, Alabama, and Florida State. Those Southern schools recruit a lot of really fast (and athletic) guys. They have exceptional linemen (O & D) as well. Those schools located in fertile recruiting areas can be a bi....bi.....bi...big problem for us.

Last edited:
Using NU's game with MSU last season as a measuring stick, it appears to me the Huskers have enough talent to win a B1G championship next year. However, if NU were to get into the play-offs, I think we would get overwhelmed by the overall team speed of teams like Auburn, Alabama, and Florida State.

If the only game we are overwhelmed in next season is the national semi-finals, count me as one who will be more than satisfied with the season.

Last edited:

There is nothing wrong with high hopes. I certainly have them for 2014. I, and pretty much most on this board had them for 2013 as well. But when the team opens up with a horrible performance against a below average Wyoming team, fans have a right to voice their displeasure without having to hear a line of bs about how good Wyoming is or even worse, that they are not real fans because they see some negatives.

Yeah, I figured 10-2 regular season and 11-3 overall. With our schedule it seemed very doable. I was wrong and also diappointed.

Indeed. It is easy to imagine TO abstaining from any discussion surrounding Nebraska.

Only guessing here but I imagine if there are other committee members with ties to other potential candidates that they'd abstain as well...I'm sure it would be expected. If THEY don't then I would hope Tom wouldn't.

I believe the rules state that members with associations to a conference must abstain with respect to conference teams, but that is probably limited to the actual vote.

Makes total sense...even with that rule the conspiracy theorists will run with it if a team makes it in with someone on the committee with ties.

Sadly, I think anyone who watched the bowl season with an open mind realizes that this team is several significant steps below being able to realistically challenge for a national championship. I appreciate the optimism--but how many times have we heard "this may be Bo Pelini's best team since he's been here"?

If we can make a run into the Top 10 and stay there (or around there) that would represent a significant improvement. Anything beyond that is gravy--but I think the talk of championship is driven by what people want in their hearts to see and not by what they have seen on the field. I hope we get to that point again, but there are a ton of baby steps to be made before we can realistically expect that kind of run.

Sadly, I think anyone who watched the bowl season with an open mind realizes that this team is several significant steps below being able to realistically challenge for a national championship. I appreciate the optimism--but how many times have we heard "this may be Bo Pelini's best team since he's been here"?

If we can make a run into the Top 10 and stay there (or around there) that would represent a significant improvement. Anything beyond that is gravy--but I think the talk of championship is driven by what people want in their hearts to see and not by what they have seen on the field. I hope we get to that point again, but there are a ton of baby steps to be made before we can realistically expect that kind of run.

I think if we are talking about singling out a team that has a chance of going from "just another team" to "national player", Nebraska has as good of a shot as anyone. If you load up on the positives(not hard for many here), you see a team with a defense that is pretty good now and has the chance to become excellent. You have an offense that is loaded with talent at the skill positions including one of the best running backs in the nation. Ol has some questions marks but if we are to believe the hype, we are loaded with talent here as well and quality reps were acquired last season. QB position is green but also loaded with potential. Then you look at the schedule. Nothing too difficult but hard enough to get recognition for winning tough games on the road.

Its all right there for the taking. We just need to clean up our game and have some younger kids step up.

Using NU's game with MSU last season as a measuring stick, it appears to me the Huskers have enough talent to win a B1G championship next year. However, if NU were to get into the play-offs, I think they might get overwhelmed by the team speed of clubs like Auburn, Alabama, and Florida State. Those Southern schools recruit a lot of really fast (and athletic) guys. They have exceptional linemen (O & D) as well. Those schools located in fertile recruiting areas can be a bi....bi.....bi...big problem for us.

Yet the Huskers were consistently faster than Georgia across the field. I don't think team speed -- especially on Defense -- is an issue anymore. We could use a burner at WR/TE to lengthen the field, but that is very specific.

I think if we are talking about singling out a team that has a chance of going from "just another team" to "national player", Nebraska has as good of a shot as anyone. If you load up on the positives(not hard for many here), you see a team with a defense that is pretty good now and has the chance to become excellent. You have an offense that is loaded with talent at the skill positions including one of the best running backs in the nation. Ol has some questions marks but if we are to believe the hype, we are loaded with talent here as well and quality reps were acquired last season. QB position is green but also loaded with potential. Then you look at the schedule. Nothing too difficult but hard enough to get recognition for winning tough games on the road.

Its all right there for the taking. We just need to clean up our game and have some younger kids step up.

That is certainly a rosy perspective, but not out of the realm of possibility. As likely, I would argue, as the team being hit by this year's injury bug again and the reverse happening.

Most likely? There is a record improvement, say 10-2 or 11-1 and they finish in the top 15 with a chance to go to the Rose Bowl or be an at-large BCS pick. Even without the playoff appearance, that would make me one happy Husker.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back