• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Is Nebraska Next Season's Auburn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husker Mort

Heisman
5 Year Member
Nebraska: 50/1
Bo Pelini survived the season despite constant speculation about his job status, but the Huskers coach should have his best team since taking over in 2008. An improving defense could become one of the Big Ten’s best, while the offense could be electric if running back Ameer Abdullah returns to Lincoln. Plus, having legendary coach Tom Osborne on the 13-member playoff selection committee can’t hurt.

Other dark horses profiled: Notre Dame, Washington, North Carolina, Kansas State
http://nypost.com/2014/01/08/notre-dame-among-schools-who-could-shock-next-season/

Last edited:

I could see this happening. Anything from a top 10 finish to a .500 season is possible with this team.

Nice to see they took a shot at Osborne and Nebraska. Amazing that no other member of that committee was mentioned as supporting their school; just Osborne.

Nice to see they took a shot at Osborne and Nebraska. Amazing that no other member of that committee was mentioned as supporting their school; just Osborne.

:wow: Maybe that is because no other member of the committee formerly coached any of the five teams being discussed? A little paranoid this morning, CT.

image.jpg god I hope not

Knowing Osborne's character, my guess is that it actually makes it harder for Nebraska to make the playoff. IF they get to that position, in no way it will be due to Osborne being a homer.

Knowing Osborne's character, my guess is that it actually makes it harder for Nebraska to make the playoff. IF they get to that position, in no way it will be due to Osborne being a homer.

Character would mean it wouldn't be easier or harder imo.

Character would mean it wouldn't be easier or harder imo.

In my experience, many people of character follow a "bright line" approach to issues of potential self interest when they are in situations where they have role obligations to others. They stay well away from a clearly visible line between proper action and self dealing. That not only protects their own credibility, which they can then use for continued positive, fair leadership, it also keeps others from falling into cynicism, which when widely held is a huge enabler of self dealing in any system.

That's why judges and sometimes politicians recuse themselves from deciding issues which directly affect them. Many people of character apply the same approach informally in their daily lives. And it often does mean handicapping their own interests a little bit.

So yeah, I think Osborne is likely to at a minimum going to soft pedal any support he has for Nebraska.

The good news is that others on the committee will realize that. When someone acts with high character it often leads others around them to respond in kind. So they may well sub-consciously over compensate and favor Nebraska as a result.

Self dealing occurs everywhere of course, but this New York writer lives in a place where it is so commonplace it's hard for him to comprehend someone actually acting like T.O. consistently does. Almost everyone there has given over to cynicsm, unfortunately realistically so. There are a great many high character individuals there of course, they just aren't so readily believed or even understood.

All this is just my opinion. I've never tried any of it. :Biggrin:

Last edited:

I will be ecstatic if even once during the season anyone on the committee has reason to mention Nebraska to the others.

Me too. Other than one member saying "Gee Tom, Nebraska sure hasn't been the same since you left".

In my experience, many people of character follow a "bright line" approach to issues of potential self interest when they are in situations where they have role obligations to others. They stay well away from a clearly visible line between proper action and self dealing. That not only protects their own credibility, which they can then use for continued positive, fair leadership, it also keeps others from falling into cynicism, which when widely held is a huge enabler of self dealing in any system.

That's why judges and sometimes politicians recuse themselves from deciding issues which directly affect them. Many people of character apply the same approach informally in their daily lives. And it often does mean handicapping their own interests a little bit.

So yeah, I think Osborne is likely to at a minimum going to soft pedal any support he has for Nebraska.

The good news is that others on the committee will realize that. When someone acts with high character it often leads others around them to respond in kind. So they may well sub-consciously over compensate and favor Nebraska as a result.

Self dealing occurs everywhere of course, but this New York writer lives in a place where it is so commonplace it's hard for him to comprehend someone actually acting like T.O. consistently does. Almost everyone there has given over to cynicsm, unfortunately realistically so. There are a great many high character individuals there of course, they just aren't so readily believed or even understood.

All this is just my opinion. I've never tried any of it. :Biggrin:

Indeed. It is easy to imagine TO abstaining from any discussion surrounding Nebraska.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back