• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Is Nebraska Next Season's Auburn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indeed. It is easy to imagine TO abstaining from any discussion surrounding Nebraska.

Agree. If Nebraska makes a playoff, they will simply have earned it. And yes, as mentioned above, if they are even in the discussion (one of 6 to 8 teams being considered), it will be the most beautiful football moment in well over a decade. The least concern is Tom coming in and trying to unfairly influence the other committee members (it's kinda funny to think about though).

I wonder where the preseason polls have us, you know the pretty early ones? I mean give it a break. How bout worrying more over who will replace the scumbag that took off for the SEC?

To expand a bit, I will be ecstatic and surprised if we get mentioned, but not astounded. I do have hope the team can make a big step up in performance this year, just probably not this big a one.

To expand a bit, I will be ecstatic and surprised if we get mentioned, but not astounded. I do have hope the team can make a big step up in performance this year, just probably not this big a one.

Reasonable stance. There's no doubt in my mind (and probably most Husker minds) that Nebraska will have more talent at more positions in 2014 than they've ever had in Bo's tenure.

It must be the offseason. Wild speculation, unrealistic expectations, and nearly delusional fantasies reign. :)

I believe the rules state that members with associations to a conference must abstain with respect to conference teams, but that is probably limited to the actual vote.

Last edited:

In my experience, many people of character follow a "bright line" approach to issues of potential self interest when they are in situations where they have role obligations to others. They stay well away from a clearly visible line between proper action and self dealing. That not only protects their own credibility, which they can then use for continued positive, fair leadership, it also keeps others from falling into cynicism, which when widely held is a huge enabler of self dealing in any system.

That's why judges and sometimes politicians recuse themselves from deciding issues which directly affect them. Many people of character apply the same approach informally in their daily lives. And it often does mean handicapping their own interests a little bit.

So yeah, I think Osborne is likely to at a minimum going to soft pedal any support he has for Nebraska.

The good news is that others on the committee will realize that. When someone acts with high character it often leads others around them to respond in kind. So they may well sub-consciously over compensate and favor Nebraska as a result.

Self dealing occurs everywhere of course, but this New York writer lives in a place where it is so commonplace it's hard for him to comprehend someone actually acting like T.O. consistently does. Almost everyone there has given over to cynicsm, unfortunately realistically so. There are a great many high character individuals there of course, they just aren't so readily believed or even understood.

All this is just my opinion. I've never tried any of it. :Biggrin:

Well stated. Hopefully Osborne will have need to recuse himself.

Last edited:
And what? Those that don't ever get their hopes up will stay on an even miserable keel?

There is nothing wrong with high hopes. I certainly have them for 2014. I, and pretty much most on this board had them for 2013 as well. But when the team opens up with a horrible performance against a below average Wyoming team, fans have a right to voice their displeasure without having to hear a line of bs about how good Wyoming is or even worse, that they are not real fans because they see some negatives.

Last edited:

There is nothing wrong with high hopes. I certainly have them for 2014. I, and pretty much most on this board had them for 2013 as well. But when the team opens up with a horrible performance against a below average Wyoming team, fans have a right to voice their displeasure without having to hear a line of bs about how good Wyoming is or even worse, that they are not real fans because they see some negatives.

:nod:

I kind of figure we win 8-10 games next year , maybe we go to the conference championship, maybe we can win. Should be a good year.

Funny you mention that. Christensen got picked up as the Utah OC and when they were introducing him to the public they had highlights of the Wyoming/Nebraska game running in the background

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back