• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

If the Big 12 Calls, Will/Should we answer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
google-is-your-friend.jpg

Yep that’s the one I brought up originally. The championship games have been very good for college football. I seem to recall Osborne pushing to not have it as it could derail NC chances for a Big 12 team. Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe this was his stance but it seems kind of gutless to back down from another game to earn your way into a National Championship contest.
Your spinning it wrong.

There were 2 reasons to be against a CC game.

1) some conferences have CC games, some don't. It doesn't seem fair for teams to have different paths to a national championship or better bowl game. Either all should have CC games, or none should

2) its not about being gutless and not wanting to play a CC game. Its about when you have 2 really good teams in the conference, and the CC games forces the "other" team to accept another loss, and potentially knocks them out of contention for playing in a better bowl game, thus getting less revenue.

It doesn't really matter anymore, since the playoff structure has made bowl games meaningless

The football championship game dislike was shortsighted of Osborne. The beat down they gave A&M in 97 opened the door for the mic.
I was commenting on how most of the championship games Texas. All sports ended up in texas. I think kc lost basketball. Just going off my addled memory
Thanks as that may have been a vote. The SEC moved their championship football games all to Atlanta. I don’t recall the conference having any outliers screaming about it being a Georgia centric decision.

Not sure this was a “vote” but the Big 12 Offices left Kansas City for Dallas. Many moves/decisions inching closer to Texas and the Longhorns. :thumbsup:
And the SEC offices are in Birmingham, big deal. Kind of paranoid if we’re worried about where the conference office is.

And the SEC offices are in Birmingham, big deal. Kind of paranoid if we’re worried about where the conference office is.

Except the Big 8 offices were in KC for years. The Big 8 saved Texas, not the other way around. And they started dictating things. That's the point. And our so called "friends" from the old Big 8 went along with them and left NU mostly sitting alone.

Your spinning it wrong.

There were 2 reasons to be against a CC game.

1) some conferences have CC games, some don't. It doesn't seem fair for teams to have different paths to a national championship or better bowl game. Either all should have CC games, or none should

2) its not about being gutless and not wanting to play a CC game. Its about when you have 2 really good teams in the conference, and the CC games forces the "other" team to accept another loss, and potentially knocks them out of contention for playing in a better bowl game, thus getting less revenue.

It doesn't really matter anymore, since the playoff structure has made bowl games meaningless
I agree with number one and things like that are still prevalent today with the Big Ten playing nine conference games and the SEC 8. The championships overall have been good for college football though.

Thanks as that may have been a vote. The SEC moved their championship football games all to Atlanta. I don’t recall the conference having any outliers screaming about it being a Georgia centric decision.
I think it was more that Texas was asserting control over a conference they were joining, and Nebraska trying to stifle that control some. The prop 48 issue was significant, as it was important to Nebraska. Not so much for Texas. The big 8 schools were tired of Nebraska football kicking them, and joined Texas as a way to bring down the giant

I agree with number one and things like that are still prevalent today with the Big Ten playing nine conference games and the SEC 8. The championships overall have been good for college football though.
I agree that CC games overall have been good. Good appeal, good revenue, eliminates arguments about who should play for NC, etc...

But they came at a price. We've lost the lore, tradition, and uniqueness of the bowl games. Oh well. Life goes on.

Gimme a friggin break with this topic. How on earth can Nebraska fans still reminisce about the Big 12 and question if it were a good idea to leave? Especially now that Texas and Oklahoma are looking to bounce.

Sucking at football the past 5, 6 years isn't the B1G's fault. Every other sport has benefited tremendously from the move. If you guys ever got your sh*t together in your primary sport, you'd be thrilled to be members. As it stands today, Nebraska is closer to becoming a basketball school than they are competing for a division title in football. A true sign that the apocalypse is upon us.

Agreed! I’m not sure the championship games had anything to do with the losing the uniqueness of the bowl games in total but they did play a part. I’ll still be as big a fan of the big red as always but hate the move to make college athletics into a minor league.

Gimme a friggin break with this topic. How on earth can Nebraska fans still reminisce about the Big 12 and question if it were a good idea to leave? Especially now that Texas and Oklahoma are looking to bounce.

Sucking at football the past 5, 6 years isn't the B1G's fault. Every other sport has benefited tremendously from the move. If you guys ever got your sh*t together in your primary sport, you'd be thrilled to be members. As it stands today, Nebraska is closer to becoming a basketball school than they are competing for a division title in football. A true sign that the apocalypse is upon us.
Battered wife syndrome?

Agreed! I’m not sure the championship games had anything to do with the losing the uniqueness of the bowl games in total but they did play a part. I’ll still be as big a fan of the big red as always but hate the move to make college athletics into a minor league.
Youre right.
I'm conflating the CC games with the playoffs.

Whatever.
My biggest regret right now is opening this turd of a thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back