• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

If the Big 12 Calls, Will/Should we answer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

During Thursday's meeting, conference officials also scratched the surface on discussions of what the Big 12 might do if OU and Texas left, and one source said that included looking into whether there were other Power 5 programs that might want to join, or if schools such as UCF, Houston, Cincinnati or BYU might make good additions. There was some appetite in the meeting for possibly adding two teams even if OU and Texas decide to stay.

Upside: No Texas
Downside: No Oklahoma

I'd suggest that this is a serious question that calls for a serious gut-check on DONU's realistic football aspirations. I fear that our former success has immunized us from the reality that Nebraska may never again be a factor in "big-time football." We can hardly compete in the B1G West, let alone the conference as a whole or against the SEC. Yes, we make more money in the B1G, but we are paid to merely be the floormat and cannon foder for the overlords to the east.

It may be time to scale back our expectations, approach this question with a clear eye, and return to a conference in which we can compete and perhaps win a few games. Returning to the Big 12 would return us to our former rivals and recruiting roots, secure easier access to road games for fans, and provide us with a level of competition more appropriate for the skill level of our coaches and players. And as long as the Big 12 remains a power conference, we'd still be in play for the football playoffs.

I'd suggest that this is a serious question that calls for a serious gut-check on DONU's realistic football aspirations. I fear that our former success has immunized us from the reality that Nebraska may never again be a factor in "big-time football." We can hardly compete in the B1G West, let alone the conference as a whole or against the SEC. Yes, we make more money in the B1G, but we are paid to merely be the floormat and cannon foder for the overlords to the east.

It may be time to scale back our expectations, approach this question with a clear eye, and return to a conference in which we can compete and perhaps win a few games. Returning to the Big 12 would return us to our former rivals and recruiting roots, secure easier access to road games for fans, and provide us with a level of competition more appropriate for the skill level of our coaches and players. And as long as the Big 12 remains a power conference, we'd still be in play for the football playoffs.
There is so many holes in your thought process I’m not even going to try and rebuttal. I’ll only say you should gut check your thought process.

Last edited:

Well Colorado, Oklahoma, and Missouri are gone. So that’s most of our actual rivals. Nebraska 100% can compete in the BIG. If Wisconsin and Iowa can so can Nebraska. They have the same recruiting disadvantages as we do. It’s not a question I can take seriously. Why would we leave stability to join a group of 5 conference. They will be a group of 5 after losing their two flagship schools. This topic is silly and 125% won’t happen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back