• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

HUSKERS host GOPHERS - Friday - 7:02 :pm ctrl- 4-28-23 - Hawks Field

We will see today.

Baseball is a brutal game when you are in a slump….

you overthink everything….start to “press” ….horrible frustration.

And the absolute “funnest” game in the world …just no longer is ”fun.”

and when you start not having fun in Baseball….it all goes to hell.

I know this. I played on really good teams and a couple really bad ones.

I wasn’t a great hitter but solid….dependable…and my OBP was always good.

I was 0 for 18 one year at a critical moment in the season….was going nuts…tried changing approach, stance, even my swing a bit. Finally my head coach took me aside and said “just relax and have the time of your life…have FUN…baseball isn’t forever…ENJOY the time!”

Went 3 for 4 next game…bases clearing triple to win it. All I thought about was how much darn FUN baseball was….every time I went to the plate.

Coached 10 years in HS at one of the largest schools in the state…mostly good or solid years. But there were a couple that were flat awful. One we had very little talent so kind of expected.

The other year we were loaded with all kinds of “expectations”.

Worst season of my life. Nothing worked, constant slumps, kids pressing left and right…desperate….a couple with big scholarships on the line.

All I did was play whack—a-mole that season. Stop one problem and another immediately reappeared.

I kind of feel that is this year’s Huskers in a nutshell.
Ever since horn left, aside for a few years here and there, NU baseball has floundered.

But yeah, I played the game, too! Not past high school, football was my primary focus!

Last edited:

Ever since horn left, aside for a few years here and there, NU baseball has floundered.
I think Will will get one more year…and Trev will set expectations and probably restructure his contract.

I REALLY hope he turns this around…longevity is sooooo important to any program.

But I believe you are basically correct.

For the facilities, fans, effort and money that we have and give…we should NOT be mediocre.

Still some games left to play though….my hope is the kids will pull themselves up by the bootstraps and get back to winning games we should win.

But yeah, I played the game, too! Not past high school
I was not good enough for college…but I played on some Legion teams and travel squads in the summer.

Then…The Army…who sent me right back to school. Thank the good Lord. By the time I graduated and had a Commission as a second Louie… Viet Nam was over for us.

When I got sent to NU, it was 1971 and we had just invaded Cambodia and in the thick of Viet Nam.

I probably would have shipped out to Viet Nam immediately and my skill set was…grunts.

Didn’t won’t to give the impression I was some great player….I wasn’t. :)

I think Will will get one more year…and Trev will set expectations and probably restructure his contract.

I REALLY hope he turns this around…longevity is sooooo important to any program.

For the facilities, fans, effort and money that we have and give…we should NOT be mediocre.

Still some games left to play though….my hope is the kids will pull themselves up by the bootstraps and get back to winning games we should win.

I also think Bolt will get one more year.

100% agree.. and it just ticks me off thinking about what could have been had Horn stayed here all this time!

100% agree.. and it just ticks me off thinking about what could have been had Horn stayed here all this time!

No doubt. But that was really not in the cards, unfortunately. We aren't a destination baseball school for quality coaches, as we both know. Our best hope is someone like Will Bolt, who has Nebraska ties. Bolt is no Van Horn. At least not yet, probably never.

No doubt. But that was really not in the cards, unfortunately. We aren't a destination baseball school for quality coaches, as we both know. Our best hope is someone like Will Bolt, who has Nebraska ties. Bolt is no Van Horn. At least not yet, probably never.

and if Bolt would like to sty here, he better start thinking about shaking up he staff.. specifically the pitching staff!

a lock down pitcher, and a lockdown closer would do wonders!

EDIT: lol No, he shouldn't start shacking up with his staff.. that is weird, but he should shake it up.. geez, can't believe I did that.

Last edited:

I hear what you guys are saying but in today’s money conscious world….

“Destination schools” are over rated….IMHO

In today’s world….money talks.

If NU is willing to pay…they can get virtually ANY big name that is bored where they are at or would look at the program and say…”challenge”

And those types all have huge egos. And there are a lot of them out there.

The question in my mind is simply this:

If Will does not work out…..

How high will Trev go??

and if Bolt would like to sty here, he better start thinking about shaking up he staff.. specifically the pitching staff!

EDIT: lol No, he shouldn't start shacking up with his staff.. that is weird, but he should shake it up.. geez, can't believe I did that.
I’m not a guru, but the team doesn’t seem to be a team. Low energy, no fight, dont really seem passionate about Husker baseball.

They seem more like a collection of individuals. Possibly a product of the one and done recruiting. Possibly a result of weak team leaders. I don’t know.

I don’t blame the pitching coach other than he has cost us too many games by not recognizing a pitcher is struggling soon enough.

I totally think changes need to be made on the staff, but I’m not plugged in enough to say who. My initial thought is Bolt himself. Give Childress a year and see what he can do.

Give Childress a year and see what he can do.
Ohhhh…now that is an intriguing thought.

Thought Childress was “done”…but who knows.

Big name..good coach…very solid recruiter with all kinds of ties in SEC country.

Am really hoping all of that would “rub off” on Will….who is kinda his protege.

Maybe it still “Will”…Lol

Last edited:

Yes…a first team All American infielder who also happened to be a lock down closer, team Captain and LEADER is something this squad really misses methinks.

Schwelly was special…

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back