• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Husker DC Erik Chinander signs extension, earns raise to $850,000 for 2022

Though if you put Suh on the 2021 defensive line, it wouldn't have been far off (as Alum suggested).

Or, have a special teams unit that wasn't one of the two or three worst in the nation. Or, an offense that didn't frequently shoot itself in the foot. There were just so many other factors outside of the defense that hindered our defense this past season.

I remember thinking how rotten the 2009 offense was. And it "seems" the 2021 offense was probably better. It really wasn't. The 2009 offense finished 70th nationally in PPG, 2021 was 79th. Also, the 2009 offense was 50th in turnovers lost, while the 2021 offense was 71st.

And there's no doubt the 2009 special teams were far superior to 2021. Heck, Alex Henery alone was huge for that team.
All fair points, though I think the 21 defense needed more than just 1 player to be on par with the 09 defense. That 09 defense had suh, crick, dennard, amukamara, hagg, asante, and Gomes that all made it to the NFL.

Last edited:

OK, so you disagree.

I thought they were the best performing and best prepared phase of the game this season.

Offense couldn't score enough points and special teams couldn't get out of their own way (or into anyone else's).

Not saying the D was "great" but it was better.
Quite a bit better. Many of those games would not have been as close without the D we had this year.

All fair points, though I think the 21 defense needed more than just 1 player to be on par with the 09 defense. That 09 defense had suh, crick, dennard, amukamara, hagg, asante, and Gomes that all made it to the NFL.
That's a very impressive list of defensive players imo. How many of those players were recruited by Bo's crew and how many by Callahan's crew? I honestly don't remember and to darn lazy to start researching. :Lol:

True, though only a couple of those turned into long-time, productive NFL players. And we may very well have a few future NFL players that were on the 2021 defense. But yes, there were definitely quality players on the 2009 defense -- no doubt.

Suh would alone make any college football defense above average. There's no one player on defense that can have more impact than a dominating lineman.

True, though only a couple of those turned into long-time, productive NFL players. And we may very well have a few future NFL players that were on the 2021 defense. But yes, there were definitely quality players on the 2009 defense -- no doubt.

Suh would alone make any college football defense above average. There's no one player on defense that can have more impact than a dominating lineman.
I'm still pissed he finished 4th in the Heisman voting that year...

I don't disagree on your take about Chins, but let's pump the brakes a little. That 09 defense gave up half as many points per game as the 21 defense, and only allowed 2 teams to score 20 or more points compared to 9 this past season. Our defense in 09 was elite, our defense last year was improved.
The 2009 defense remains the best defense this century in college football. That defense was dominant, at every level.

While I know it’s not apples to apples, but Oklahoma State is preparing to spend $1.5 million on their next DC. Who would have thunk that OSU would be paying a DC nearly twice what Nebraska pays?

This program must be seriously short on cash.

Last edited:
While I know it’s not apples to apples, but Oklahoma State is preparing to spend $1.5 million on their next DC. Who would have thunk that OSU would be paying a DC nearly twice what Nebraska pays?

I think with raises in the professional world,
It’s not solely based on what someone has done most recently but it’s banking on the future with them will be brighter and I think this describes our relationship with Coach chins

Spending 1.5 mil for your DC only guarantees you're going to spend 1.5 mill imo. Plenty of super high priced coaches have fallen flat on their collective butts. Oh wait one comes instantly to mind but we won't go there!

An average offense and this defense finishes in the top 10 of probably every category in the country.
Hey I have no problem with Chin getting a raise but this statement is a head scratcher. Our offense moved the ball and controlled the clock well until they got to the red zone. Thus our 20th ranking on offense.

Our defense struggled to get off the field between the 20’s but did much better in the red zone. Defensively they were ranked 47th in total defense. One of the defenses biggest problem was turnovers gained. They were tied with 10 other teams for 102nd. Only 18 teams were worse. This defense struggled to get off the field and I’m not sure how our offense scoring more in the red zone would have made our defense top 10.

And for the record we were 67th in turnovers lost which is average so it’s not like our offense was putting the defense in an extraordinary position of keeping them on the field all the time.

Last edited:

Ditto here.

Plug Suh into the ‘21 front four and we’re damned sure not 3-9 and statistically the D is at least top 20.

Yep those are just facts .

Nah, he has always been pretty reasonable in discussion. I don’t see where he said they suck
He used the words horrible and horrific. In sports if youre defense is described as horrible and horrific and thinks its reasonable to assume he means they suck

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back