• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Husker DC Erik Chinander signs extension, earns raise to $850,000 for 2022

No one deserved a raise with a 3-9 record.
Frost didn't so it evens out

Reading this reminded me that more assistants could have easily bailed for greener pastures, even as loyal as many of us think they are. It may have been a challenge to find a worthy replacement for Chinander, and had he left that would have created even more change at a time when the program really needs stability. I don't see the raise as a reward as much as an investment, which to me seems like a good one considering the potential risk.

A lot of discussion and good points to both sides. Certainly seemed like the defense has improved a bit but it’s hard to argue giving raises at 3-9.

They came in between Purdue and Ill in total defense. not buying they were all that good.

We can look at stats we can look at record. We’re they horrible did they suck… no

They were average

We're not terribly far away, but we're still not in agreement and that's fine.

I'm not in the group that was calling the '21 defense 'elite', but it was above average and the things Chinander did to adjust his base 3-4 to better put the talent on roster to use has to be noted. In that regard he did a masterful job. I said it before that I didn't play offense or against one of these new spread RPO offenses, so what they do from a coaching standpoint isn't as obvious to me. I do know defense and I don't know how many are able to look at some of the things Chinander does and say 'That's a great.......(insert reason for praise here'.

Saying we're sandwiched between Illinois and Purdue doesn't tell the story, nor does the saying we were 36th in scoring defense at 22.7 PPG. All of that was done against arguably the toughest schedule in FBS football, with an offense prone to mistakes and the worst special teams units I've seen since high school.

Chinander did as good a job this year as any DC we've had in a while. A long while. I'm OK with giving him credit for that.

A lot of discussion and good points to both sides. Certainly seemed like the defense has improved a bit but it’s hard to argue giving raises at 3-9.

It's not apples to apples, but I've had stinker projects that lost money. Sometimes millions and I've argued for and gotten raises for project team members who exceeded expectations. That is possible when an overall goal isn't met.

Winning matters. At the end of the day the little bump he got will mean very little if he isn't able to duplicate or nearly duplicate his 2021 results next year. If the defense becomes part of the reason we're losing games again (which it was not in '21) he and likely all of the staff will be looking for new jobs.

I get the feeling you would complain about Georgia's defense if you could. If you cannot see that the defense has improved then I don't know what to say.
Who said the defense didn’t improve? Not me. I said, he’s put out 3 terrible defenses, and 1 very average one. That’s the truth. You must not like that? To me, that doesn’t warrant a raise. Let’s see some more.

OK, so you disagree.

I thought they were the best performing and best prepared phase of the game this season.

Offense couldn't score enough points and special teams couldn't get out of their own way (or into anyone else's).

Not saying the D was "great" but it was better.
I’ve not once said it wasn’t better. It was. 1/4 has been average, the other 3/4 has been horrible. That’s a fact. Why rush a raise? It wasn’t necessary.

They came in between Purdue and Ill in total defense. not buying they were all that good.

We can look at stats we can look at record. We’re they horrible did they suck… no

They were average
An average defense, after 4 years, is nothing to write home about, especially with the extra players he had. Now, he isn’t going to have that luxury this year, so why not wait, see what he does in 2022? To many times in 2021 the defense did not come up with plays when it absolutely had to. OU, Ohio State, Michigan, Purdue all scored when the defense absolutely had to have a stop. No one has said it wasn’t slightly better, it was, but is that it? That’s it? Let’s see some more, I think that’s quite fair.

I’ve not once said it wasn’t better. It was. 1/4 has been average, the other 3/4 has been horrible. That’s a fact. Why rush a raise? It wasn’t necessary.
I'd just call Trev up and tell him, it was obviously his decision to warrant a raise to Chins. He must have seen something, being he is a defensive guy.
Steady improvement year by year and roster management is also part of it.

Last edited:
I'd just call Trev up and tell him, it was obviously his decision to warrant a raise to Chins. He must have seen something, being he is a defensive guy.
Steady improvement year by year and roster management is also part of it.
It is indeed. Let’s see what 2022 brings. Have you ever gotten a raise for failing 75% of the time? This isn’t baseball. .250 hitting % isn’t gonna cut it in football. Whatever, it’s not a big deal. This is a message board, and it’s not always sunshine and rainbows.

Well earned? For what? 3 horrific defenses in 4 years. The one decent defense was very average at best. I just don’t see the need for a raise given what he has put forth. It could have waited, see what he does in 2022 w o all his super seniors. He wasn’t going anywhere.

Theres always that one guy. The one that thinks the coordinators suck, pretty much no matter what. That guy is you

Well earned? For what? 3 horrific defenses in 4 years. The one decent defense was very average at best. I just don’t see the need for a raise given what he has put forth. It could have waited, see what he does in 2022 w o all his super seniors. He wasn’t going anywhere.
We did not have "horrific" defenses the first 3 years. The first year was bad, but we ran off a lot of talent.
We werent great in years 2 or 3 but were were decent IMO and we had to deal with "horrific" offenses all 4 years. If you take off the blinders and evaluate it, hes done a decent job and a great job last year.

Your description of our D as horrific and him sucking most of his time here is not fact, its your opinion. And it appears is not the opinion of most people.
Chin has done a great job here IMO and is young and is getting better.
Trust me whoever we had as D cooridantor these last few years you would have said sucked too. Thats how it works

Who said the defense didn’t improve? Not me. I said, he’s put out 3 terrible defenses, and 1 very average one. That’s the truth. You must not like that? To me, that doesn’t warrant a raise. Let’s see some more.
Again, your description of our D being terrible in years 2 and 3 and average in year 4 is not accurate IMO nor in others opinions. Quit trying to spin you opinion as though its fact. Its not.
Last years D was very good and at times great.
We dont have the talent to be the Chicago Bears yet.
We were better in all 4 years IMO than our talent was.........which tells me he is a very good coordinator. And that you are a poor evaluator

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back