• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Help me find a hat!

I'm in the same boat. I've got a thick head and my wife says most of my caps look too small. My advice would be to go to Huskers Authentic the next time you are in Lincoln and try a dozen or so on.

I've got my mom and sis (both in Omaha) scouting local shops. My dad also has a big old watermelon noggin head, so if it fits him it'll fit me.

This is kinda funny, as I posted a similar thread back in April, only, "Sniff" I didn't get any help, "SNIFF". LOL....
:Whistling:

This one fits big heads pretty well.

View attachment 24516

This one fits big heads pretty well.
That's the cap that they handed out at the coaches' clinic except that they're black. They're very nice hats, but I wouldn't recommend them for summer. The all-cloth cap gets hot anyway, and being so dark it feels like a sun sponge on my head. Cool nights, fall, and winter, though, I like it a lot.

This is kinda funny, as I posted a similar thread back in April, only, "Sniff" I didn't get any help, "SNIFF". LOL....
Hey Sauce, it's all about where you post the thread to get help. The Entertainment thread is not one I go to. So stop yer "SNIFFING" and learn how to market your needs to get help. :Biggrin:

I just searched for a little bit and didn't find that specific hat. However, here is a link that has several other choices...some similar to the second one in that other thread and others that are different entirely.

Nice! That's exactly the kind I'm after. Thank you!

I should mention I've only exactly ONE Husker hat in my life. I'm not much of a baseball hat kind of guy. But the hair's getting a little thinner these days and I'm planning to be outside a lot this summer, so I figure I better get used to wearing a hat.
This reply has more to do with the "hair's getting a little thinner" remark. I don't no how prone you are to sunburn, but the mesh caps allow the scalp to get burned. And believe me, there is no worse place to get a sunburned than a balding scalp. I learned this the hard way.:(

I don't think you'll find a trucker style cap (mesh) without plastic snapback

My question is when did the mesh style cap become known as a "trucker hat". I never heard of that till a few years ago. Now calling it a "seed corn" style hat would be more of the way I see it.

My question is when did the mesh style cap become known as a "trucker hat". I never heard of that till a few years ago. Now calling it a "seed corn" style hat would be more of the way I see it.

From what I know, the term 'Trucker Hat' applies to mesh snapbacks with a high peak in the front that also have a flat bill.

This reply has more to do with the "hair's getting a little thinner" remark. I don't no how prone you are to sunburn, but the mesh caps allow the scalp to get burned. And believe me, there is no worse place to get a sunburned than a balding scalp. I learned this the hard way.:(
Went golfing one day without a hat never again. Very painful sunburn.

Trucker hats were originally the cheap, mass-produced hats that had mesh in the back and a foam (typically white) front. They were easy to screen print a logo on and given away as promotional items to those in the trades/blue collar type work. You'd see guys that attended some Caterpillar demonstration walking away with a bunch of Cat swag like koozies and hats. Next week, they'd be rockin' John Deere or Peterbuilt or International.

I guess calling them "seed corn" hats fits into this category as well, since farming/trucking are somewhat related in terms of a marketing demographic. Companies were looking for hard workin' men who could wear their logos around the machine shop, corn silo or warehouse.

In modern times, trucker hats have evolved past the cheap foam fronts, but still typically have the mesh material.

I've got a gorgeous one from the '17 March Madness that has a velcro strap in back. It's getting all sweat stained and gross looking though, because I typically wear it when I'm out mowing the lawn or pulling weeds. Figured I'd try to find a Husker one to replace it, but it's tough finding something in mesh (cool head) that accommodates a big old melon like my head. Maybe if they made snapbacks with an extra 3-4 pegs, it could work.

--edit--

There appear to be a bunch of camo mesh hats, but I'll never wear camouflage. I'm not a hunter and have zero desire to look like I just stepped out of a Bass Pro or Cabela's. Even though Cabela's is a home-grown brand from NE. I'm just not the kind of guy who stomps around in boots with a wad of tobacco and a gun. Blech.

Last edited:
There appear to be a bunch of camo mesh hats, but I'll never wear camouflage. I'm not a hunter and have zero desire to look like I just stepped out of a Bass Pro or Cabela's. Even though Cabela's is a home-grown brand from NE. I'm just not the kind of guy who stomps around in boots with a wad of tobacco and a gun. Blech.
Wow, nothing elitist about that, huh? Fwiw, it is technically possible to go hunting without a wad of tobacco. If somebody has no knowledge of the outdoors and is unable to be a part of it, fine, that's understandable. There are a lot of people who are so divorced from nature that that makes sense. On the other hand, when they feel a need to look down on those who can actively participate in that world? It comes across a lot like somebody making fun of something that they could never do. To each his own.

Wow, nothing elitist about that, huh? Fwiw, it is technically possible to go hunting without a wad of tobacco. If somebody has no knowledge of the outdoors and is unable to be a part of it, fine, that's understandable. There are a lot of people who are so divorced from nature that that makes sense. On the other hand, when they feel a need to look down on those who can actively participate in that world? It comes across a lot like somebody making fun of something that they could never do. To each his own.
Preach on brother...preach on.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back