• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Head Coaching Candidates

Let's tick off Hawkeye nation and go steal Rick Heller.
He's a really really good coach. I think it would be a good hire. But is that who we would want Erstad gone for? Here are his finishes in conference:
7th
Conference Runner up
8th
4th
6th
8th
And 2 regional appearances.

Erstad was getting flack and his first 6 years went like this:
4th
Conference runner up
Conference runner up
8th
Conference runner up
Conference champions
And 3 regional appearances

I mean, if that's who we are swooning over while Erstad was constantly having to defend himself, i'll be even more confused.

Last edited:
Rumor is that Childress is sick of being told he’s not doing good enough at A&M. Also rumor that A&M offered Pat Casey the job. Could Nebraska benefit from fan negativity after it had a part driving our current coach away? Will certainly take 750k+, but if Childress is even a remote possibility, you open up the checkbook.
If Childress is interested its a no brainer. would love to see it

Would Childress come back, in your opinion? Did he leave under a good relationship with UNL?

Last edited:

Would Childress come back, in your opinion? Did he leave under a good relationship with UNL?
He loves Nebraska, Van Horn goes to his hunting land every time they are back for the CWS. And as you know I’m sure, he recruits Nebraska pretty hard.

Two things working against us, the first is being in the B1G. It’s why I think we aren’t getting a Power 5 head coach to come here. The second is he is making close to a million per year with incentives, can we come up with another 800k to pay him, then however much more he would want for his assistants. If he even gives you the time of day, you go to your heavy hitter donors and say “we are expanding the press boxes so we can have you enjoy March baseball in Nebraska, but need 100k each from you every season so we can get Childress.”

I still think it’s a pipe dream, but we have people wanting to run him off and out of A&M on our side. Give him an offer he can’t refuse. My biggest worry is getting a coach in that isn’t familiar with Nebraska high school baseball and isn’t familiar with how Big Ten scholarships work. Childress would alleviate any of that and probably get us to the Super in 2021. Our team is pretty loaded coming back next year.

Last edited:
When DVH stands on the top step at Haymarket and calls some Travel Ball Mom's baby a "mother Texaser" and "If you throw another ball I'm going to ******* kill you," DVH may not be so welcome in Lincoln, lol

That was always funny to hear about. Between that and Childress making everyone put a dip in and do somersaults flag pole to flag pole (no matter if you chewed or not), there may be some things frowned upon.

Steve Holm.....Illinois State.....coaching experience in Big Ten (assistant at Purdue) played at Oral Roberts

Last edited:
That was always funny to hear about. Between that and Childress making everyone put a dip in and do somersaults flag pole to flag pole (no matter if you chewed or not), there may be some things frowned upon.
Was the point of that to try and get everyone throwing up so that they wouldn't want to chew again? If so, I can say that it worked on me. I puked at age 7 after putting a big wad of Red Man in my mouth. Forty+ years later, and I still want to puke whenever I smell that stuff.

What was the effect?

Was the point of that to try and get everyone throwing up so that they wouldn't want to chew again? If so, I can say that it worked on me. I puked at age 7 after putting a big wad of Red Man in my mouth. Forty+ years later, and I still want to puke whenever I smell that stuff.

What was the effect?
It was punishment. I believe one of the times my buddy broke Van Horns fungo (not intentionally).

Arkansas is a homecoming for DVH. Don’t know why some even think that is a possibility.

Yeah, I think he's just on lists because he's been here before -- but otherwise, 0% chance. He left for Arkansas because he wanted to return to his alma mater. And he's been a huge success there. He's a super regional series win from returning to coach his 6th CWS as HC of the Hogs. There's no reason to leave that. Let alone the fact that the odds of DVH being able to be as successful in Lincoln with NU in the Big Ten as he was with NU in the Big 12 are slim to none (none is the correct answer).

I can't see the Tweet, as it's blocked at work, but maybe it says everything I just said. :)

Anyhow, I'd be darn pleased if we can reel in Childress.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back