• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

HCSF - something different

There are a lot of similarities between Harbaugh and Frost, in terms of favored sons returning to coach and having a passion that is not all monetary. I think it is possible that even though Frost may give up some money, he might entertain a new structure with performance incentives. Remember Harbaugh’s was 2-4 last year with many calling for his job. The renegotiation reduced buyout but added incentives.

Below is from an article on Harbaugh’s redone Contract early this year. This is. It too far off from the OP.

For all these reasons, it was refreshing to see athletic director Manuel craft a contract that actually makes sense – one of the rarest sights in all of college football. He cut Harbaugh's salary from $8 million a year to $4 million, with incentives to make up the difference if Harbaugh beats Ohio State; wins the Big Ten; or takes the national title, among other milestones.

GettyImages-1284420804-Jim-Harbaugh.jpg

More significantly, Michigan cut Harbaugh's buy-out from $10 million -- and almost as much for his staff -- down to $4 million after next year, and a million less after each successive year.

There are a lot of similarities between Harbaugh and Frost, in terms of favored sons returning to coach and having a passion that is not all monetary. I think it is possible that even though Frost may give up some money, he might entertain a new structure with performance incentives. Remember Harbaugh’s was 2-4 last year with many calling for his job. The renegotiation reduced buyout but added incentives.

Below is from an article on Harbaugh’s redone Contract early this year. This is. It too far off from the OP.

For all these reasons, it was refreshing to see athletic director Manuel craft a contract that actually makes sense – one of the rarest sights in all of college football. He cut Harbaugh's salary from $8 million a year to $4 million, with incentives to make up the difference if Harbaugh beats Ohio State; wins the Big Ten; or takes the national title, among other milestones.

GettyImages-1284420804-Jim-Harbaugh.jpg

More significantly, Michigan cut Harbaugh's buy-out from $10 million -- and almost as much for his staff -- down to $4 million after next year, and a million less after each successive year.
So it has been done. Amazing!!!

If HCSF Wants to ever have Nebraskans love him let alone run for political office like Tom Osborne dead he should man up and take a $10 million buyout and walk away

Wouldn’t it be nice if this was done and next for us paralleled Harbaugh’s this year?

Oh to be 7-0…….
I actually think it’s possible. Maybe they could give him the extension but renegotiate the buyout. Add some new assistant coaches and give them a couple years. Obviously some people will hate that idea and immediately dismiss it. I think people really want Frost to work because he could be here for twenty years. I definitely understand that feeling.

I actually think it’s possible. Maybe they could give him the extension but renegotiate the buyout. Add some new assistant coaches and give them a couple years. Obviously some people will hate that idea and immediately dismiss it. I think people really want Frost to work because he could be here for twenty years. I definitely understand that feeling.
I think the reason Harbaugh did it is the reason we can hope Frost/Alberts do it. It is killing Frost to repeatedly lose all these close games. He openly talks about his regret for the fans and I think he means it. Only a favorite son would do something so completely contra to his financial benefit. Still, he recognizes the state / fans aren’t getting what they paid for in terms
of results. I think we are getting what we paid for in terms of passion and effort, but we aren’t as altruistic, though I’m as proud of this team as any in the last sad 6 years.

BRR Is the typo police I like to see his badge and his certification as an law Enforcer of the net and this forum

Depends on what the purpose of him taking a pay cut, reducing buyout, etc. is?

If the goal is to simply reduce the financial liability of the University, I suppose it's something to consider. I don't view Trev in the same light I view the Michigan AD in. That may not be a philosophy Trev wants to operate in, but I don't know.

If the goal is to get Scott to win more games, make coaching changes, make schematic changes, etc, etc.... I just don't see that being an effective method. Regardless of how much Scott gets paid, his love for the program and his desire to see it succeed is not going to increase. It already exists at a level even greater than we as fans desire. I just don't see it being a way to move the success needle with Scott.

Last edited:

After some off the field controversy last year Mike Gundy took a cut in money and contract length. Gundy agreed to a $1 million pay cut and a reduction in his rollover contract from five years to four.

This week they announced a new 5 year extension. Shows what going 6-0 will do for you.
A perpetual 5 year contract……

Instead of the 58th thread to fire SF, or one of the few that just says to give him more time, here's another angle. If we fire him, we start over again, and if no splash hire, which is doubtful, recruiting gets hurt, and lessens chances of success going forward. If we keep him and don't extend him, negative recruiting hurts us and lessens his chances of success.

So hear me out, what if we extend him one year, insist on some staff changes, and for the extra year, decrease his base pay to what an average #25 coach gets. Then put in all sorts of incentives to bump his pay that year for things like # of wins, div/conf champ, top25/10 finish, etc, etc. An idea, go ahead, let me have it.
ROFLAO extend his contract? Are you kidding me? Alberts can insist on staff changes at any time. Frost can do as he please which is most of the time anyway. 4 years is plenty of time. Recruiting is in the toilet, waiting for one more year is not going to produce more wins as long as Frosts faulty logic is in play. When you play a hurt QB because you dont have an adequate back up is on the coach for not having a backup. Sorry we hired the wrong guy and if we continue to hang on to him because we have to start over is a dog that wont hunt.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back