• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

HCSF - something different

Put Me In Coach
5 Year Member
Instead of the 58th thread to fire SF, or one of the few that just says to give him more time, here's another angle. If we fire him, we start over again, and if no splash hire, which is doubtful, recruiting gets hurt, and lessens chances of success going forward. If we keep him and don't extend him, negative recruiting hurts us and lessens his chances of success.

So hear me out, what if we extend him one year, insist on some staff changes, and for the extra year, decrease his base pay to what an average #25 coach gets. Then put in all sorts of incentives to bump his pay that year for things like # of wins, div/conf champ, top25/10 finish, etc, etc. An idea, go ahead, let me have it.

Instead of the 58th thread to fire SF, or one of the few that just says to give him more time, here's another angle. If we fire him, we start over again, and if no splash hire, which is doubtful, recruiting gets hurt, and lessens chances of success going forward. If we keep him and don't extend him, negative recruiting hurts us and lessens his chances of success.

So hear me out, what if we extend him one year, insist on some staff changes, and for the extra year, decrease his base pay to what an average #25 coach gets. Then put in all sorts of incentives to bump his pay that year for things like # of wins, div/conf champ, top25/10 finish, etc, etc. An idea, go ahead, let me have it.
My dad had a similar idea to this. Decrease his buyout. I like the idea myself.

I get what you're saying, and I agree that some certainty about the future of the head coaching position is important.

About the money, Frost already lives & dies for this program - I don't think there's anything it would do as far as motivation for him (he also gave back a portion of his 2020 salary), but I can see the advantage for the university.

I get what you're saying, and I agree that some certainty about the future of the head coaching position is important.

About the money, Frost already lives & dies for this program - I don't think there's anything it would do as far as motivation for him (he also gave back a portion of his 2020 salary), but I can see the advantage for the university.
and maybe some fans.

Why would SF renegotiate his contract to give himself less pay and/or a lower buyout? Doesn't he still have 3 years on his contract?

The strategy suggests the problem is that Frost isn’t trying hard enough because the contract doesn’t provide the right incentive for winning. I’m not sure that’s the problem.

Why would SF renegotiate his contract to give himself less pay and/or a lower buyout? Doesn't he still have 3 years on his contract?

The strategy suggests the problem is that Frost isn’t trying hard enough because the contract doesn’t provide the right incentive for winning. I’m not sure that’s the problem.
He gets another year on his contract and a chance to turn this thing around.

I'm not suggesting he isn't trying hard enough, just trying to propose a solution that is somewhere between fire him, and give him more time.

He gets another year on his contract and a chance to turn this thing around.

I'm not suggesting he isn't trying hard enough, just trying to propose a solution that is somewhere between fire him, and give him more time.
So, the proposal is to sell him an extra year? His payment is a significant reduction in pay and reduction of his buyout.

But he‘s almost guaranteed to be back next year and if he doesn’t start getting wins he is gone. From his position, I don’t see the incentive for him to negotiate away his buyout. But if wants to do it, more power to him.

Frost, nor would anyone else, would negotiate for a worse contract.

Wouldn't say much about trust Nebraska has in his abilities to turn it around as the goal is to lessen the potential buyout.

Probably would not be looked favorably by a potential new coach. They wouldn't want to deal with a change in contract if performing below standards, even with best efforts.

So, the proposal is to sell him an extra year? His payment is a significant reduction in pay and reduction of his buyout.

But he‘s almost guaranteed to be back next year and if he doesn’t start getting wins he is gone. From his position, I don’t see the incentive for him to negotiate away his buyout. But if wants to do it, more power to him.
Yes, he gets another year, a reduction in pay for the extra year in proportion to his performance. Don't negotiate away his buyout, just reduce his proportionally. If this truly was his dream job, maybe...

Frost, nor would anyone else, would negotiate for a worse contract.

Wouldn't say much about trust Nebraska has in his abilities to turn it around as the goal is to lessen the potential buyout.

Probably would not be looked favorably by a potential new coach. They wouldn't want to deal with a change in contract if performing below standards, even with best efforts.
His contract already in place stays. Just the additional year is worse based on performance to date, and he can get that back in incentives, and the buyout is reduced accordingly. Again, for a new coach, no change in existing contract, just less if you don't perform going forward. What other business can you under-perform and expect to be compensated as if you hadn't?

77f.gif

His contract is binding! I would bet he will refuse to take less and refuse to be forced into staff changes. He will have to be fired and be owed the big buyout or fired for cause with the pending NCAA deal. It will be ugly no matter how it's done!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back