• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

HCSF - something different

I agree. He came in so fired up and sure he would succeed but hasn't even to this point of his 4th year. I feel disheartened for him, the team, and the fans. I'm sure he didn't take the job to fail but I think he found out real fast that he doesn't know how to win the B1G, yet! I'm not sure another year will be any different-Unless he makes coaching changes, including what he does. He can't keep doing the same thing hoping that he will finally win.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”​

Albert Einstein
He came in cocky and we all cheered. He came in with a swagger that he had not earned. He has been humbled and now I hope he can earn that swagger and do it in a way that makes Nebraska proud.

Some are now wrapping up their second decade looking through the lens of Nebraska's problems being poor coaching. Looking at results, I think Einstein described such thinking as insanity. Perhaps we need to concentrate our focus on everything BUT coaching. We might be surprised what it would yield. Of course, that may be too big an order for the narrow minded. I'm thinking Trev is in the broader thinking category. Lucky us.

Frost, nor would anyone else, would negotiate for a worse contract.

Wouldn't say much about trust Nebraska has in his abilities to turn it around as the goal is to lessen the potential buyout.

Probably would not be looked favorably by a potential new coach. They wouldn't want to deal with a change in contract if performing below standards, even with best efforts.
Trust? What could Frost possibly expect? I’d say the U has done everything asked. Nebraska has already shown trust, and loyalty, as no power 5 U is keeping its coach after 4 straight losing seasons. Most wouldn’t after 3. If Frost is honest, he knows it’s a results business, and so far, he hasn’t produced in the most important area, winning. Anything the U throws to Scott now going forward, is gravy, without those results.

. No other business. The problem, at least in my opinion, is you are basically recognizing his under performance and accepting it at a lower price. If you owned a business that required a certain amount of sales to survive and your sales guy is not getting them you don’t reduce his commission and accept his output. You find a guy that can meet your sales goals.
Unless, said business thinks that eventually the upside could be sky high. NU bought the stock at a high price, unfortunately they have to hold it until the price goes back up. Until then, they have to utilize a few options.

Clueless post, followed by a clueless post, at least it's consistency. :Biggrin:
I guess you showed me! :rolleyes:

I don’t see how my suggestion as more clueless than the suggestion I was commenting on. If SF is willing to negotiate away what he is already entitled to in his contract just for the honor of getting a one year extension of his contract, I don‘t see why he would take the noble position of quitting and giving up his buyout. They are both counter to his economic interest, but both have a saintly aspect to them.

If Frost needs to buy an extension, he is pretty much done here. If he needs Trev to demand that he fire portions of his staff, then he shouldn’t be a head coach. Head coaches know when a staff member isn‘t getting it done and needs to go.

I guess you showed me! :rolleyes:

I don’t see how my suggestion as more clueless than the suggestion I was commenting on. If SF is willing to negotiate away what he is already entitled to in his contract just for the honor of getting a one year extension of his contract, I don‘t see why he would take the noble position of quitting and giving up his buyout. They are both counter to his economic interest, but both have a saintly aspect to them.

If Frost needs to buy an extension, he is pretty much done here. If he needs Trev to demand that he fire portions of his staff, then he shouldn’t be a head coach. Head coaches know when a staff member isn‘t getting it done and needs to go.
Yep.
Well then you either didn't read it closely, or didn't comprehend it. Never said to negotiate away what he is already entitled to, just different merit-based compensation on the one-year extension. But, nice try.

After some off the field controversy last year Mike Gundy took a cut in money and contract length. Gundy agreed to a $1 million pay cut and a reduction in his rollover contract from five years to four.

This week they announced a new 5 year extension. Shows what going 6-0 will do for you.

Yep.
Well then you either didn't read it closely, or didn't comprehend it. Never said to negotiate away what he is already entitled to, just different merit-based compensation on the one-year extension. But, nice try.
It’s possible that you didn’t explain what you meant. But it seemed clear to me you wanted to give him a one year extension with a lower salary. You offered a different compensation based on wins, and if it didn’t work out, the buyout would be reduced.

As I said before, if Frost agrees to the pay cut, more power to you. But I just don’t see what is in it for him, other than the honor and privilege of having a contract saying he is extended for another year ON PAPER! He knows this extension is meaningless unless he shows drastic improvement in 2022. So it’s just a shell game intended to trick recruits. If Frost turns it around next year, he stays and would have negotiated a reduced salary.

There just isn’t anything in it for Frost. If he is retained at the end of the season, next year is probably make or break.

But again, if Frost will go along with a pay cut in an out year knowing the only way he is here for the out year is if he turns the program around, that would be superior negotiating on the part of the university.

Instead of the 58th thread to fire SF, or one of the few that just says to give him more time, here's another angle. If we fire him, we start over again, and if no splash hire, which is doubtful, recruiting gets hurt, and lessens chances of success going forward. If we keep him and don't extend him, negative recruiting hurts us and lessens his chances of success.

So hear me out, what if we extend him one year, insist on some staff changes, and for the extra year, decrease his base pay to what an average #25 coach gets. Then put in all sorts of incentives to bump his pay that year for things like # of wins, div/conf champ, top25/10 finish, etc, etc. An idea, go ahead, let me have it.
So basically, you've started the 58th thread regardless. Cool.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back