• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Going back and forth on this coaching staff.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey denisonred, are you hearing much from Iowa fans on what they think about the game Friday? Here around Des Moines they are pretty confident that this is their year to beat us. I can't really disagree too much, due to the teams that they have lost too. It should be a good game. Probably a close one.

Surprisingly the ones I have been around are playing it low keyed. The Gazette here has not done a lot of chest thumping like they do many times where the Hawks are concerned. I think a lot of the ones over here are still feeling good about beating Michigan. My daughter and her husband are Iowa fans and they are not saying a lot other than they think this year they have a good chance.

I can't make up my mind if I want this coaching staff to stay or not. I've been going back and forth all season on it. I think, though, that I've come to the conclusion that I'd like to see this young coaching staff stay. I think these guys are still growing, and soon may become very good coaches. It's nice to finally have some continuity in a staff, and with our young athletic players I think we might be able to get over the hump. The one thing that I can't understand is how we can't get better in the turnovers and the special teams areas. I guess we'll see what happens after the Iowa game. Being in central Iowa, we better win this one too! I'll never hear the end of it from my wife & friends! Go Big Red!

I agree with you 100%.

I can't make up my mind if I want this coaching staff to stay or not. I've been going back and forth all season on it. I think, though, that I've come to the conclusion that I'd like to see this young coaching staff stay. I think these guys are still growing, and soon may become very good coaches. It's nice to finally have some continuity in a staff, and with our young athletic players I think we might be able to get over the hump. The one thing that I can't understand is how we can't get better in the turnovers and the special teams areas. I guess we'll see what happens after the Iowa game. Being in central Iowa, we better win this one too! I'll never hear the end of it from my wife & friends! Go Big Red!

Let me ease your mind of this tremendous struggle.

it's not your decision to make.

Great post! My injection would be that it's very hard for NU to pull the best of the best from states such as Ohio, Texas, Florida, Alabama, and Cali, when all of them have at least one if not several traditional powerhouse programs in state! I do think Ross Ells' duties (recruiting coordinator, special teams, and linebackers) need to be divided into 3 full time positions. However, with the very recent success of players (David, Burkhead, Abdullah, to name a few) it is irresponsible to say that we don't recruit well out of state. Recruiting is akin to gambling in that the good ones always play the odds, but you never know whose gonna win until it's over.

You can't make one position into 3 without firing 2 other coaches. Els has done a really good job as RC, and his young LB's are definitely coming around. Even though they divide the units across the staff, the ST's job needs to be given to another staffer, like Fisher, iMO. RC might also be a position that will need to be given to Joseph just to keep him at some point, though.

I think Papuchis has to be replaced. He is dead weight. Also, something needs to be done with the special teams coaches. Dobson needs to have a close look also.

Excellent post.

It is easy to see why there is a controversy about this whole issue. One thing that puts me over the hump toward retaining this staff is that, in many cases that I have observed, a coach that has experienced some tough times learn from that and corrects deficiencies to become a much better coach. I think that the University has invested a great deal in the "internship" of this staff and believe that we need to find out whether that has been a wise investment or a bad one. I honestly understand those who do not wish to keep these coaches to find out, even though I disagree with that move.

I search for the places that have indicated improvement and can find quite a few. If you search for the negative, you can also find those. Being an eternal optimist, I find more of the former than the latter. Those who tend to dwell on the negative will be just the opposite, hence we have conflicting views on what needs to be done.

I'm ok with either the University moving on or the Pelini staff returning next year. I honestly don't have the answers. But as to the bolded, what I think about that is there's no guarantee Pelini (or staff) will stay here if they ever do get over the proverbial hump.

If this staff does have a better year next year, and maybe even the one after that, I think they'll take the first good offer out. I think Pelini would leave this year if he had another comparable offer. The problem is, he has had so many media gaffes that he's just too risky of a commodity right now.

I think Papuchis has to be replaced. He is dead weight. Also, something needs to be done with the special teams coaches. Dobson needs to have a close look also.

Hmm, so according to you, Papuchis had absolutely no part in the defense's improvement since game 1, or over last season?

Get through the bargaining stage already. The last thing we need is MORE staff turnover and more coordinator changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back