• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Going back and forth on this coaching staff.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surrounded by Hawkeyes

Recruit
5 Year Member
I can't make up my mind if I want this coaching staff to stay or not. I've been going back and forth all season on it. I think, though, that I've come to the conclusion that I'd like to see this young coaching staff stay. I think these guys are still growing, and soon may become very good coaches. It's nice to finally have some continuity in a staff, and with our young athletic players I think we might be able to get over the hump. The one thing that I can't understand is how we can't get better in the turnovers and the special teams areas. I guess we'll see what happens after the Iowa game. Being in central Iowa, we better win this one too! I'll never hear the end of it from my wife & friends! Go Big Red!

I will not make my official judgement on this staff until after the bowl game. I want to see if this staff can get this team to the point where they can win a bowl game and have positive momentum for next season.

Last edited:
I will not make my official judgement on this staff until after the bowl game. I want to see if this staff can get this team to the point where they can win a bowl game and have positive momentum for next season.

Sounds like we might be playing a SEC team in a bowl game, so it would be a good test for us. If we could win the bowl game, that would bring some good momentum in recruiting too.

I can't make up my mind if I want this coaching staff to stay or not. I've been going back and forth all season on it. I think, though, that I've come to the conclusion that I'd like to see this young coaching staff stay. I think these guys are still growing, and soon may become very good coaches. It's nice to finally have some continuity in a staff, and with our young athletic players I think we might be able to get over the hump. The one thing that I can't understand is how we can't get better in the turnovers and the special teams areas. I guess we'll see what happens after the Iowa game. Being in central Iowa, we better win this one too! I'll never hear the end of it from my wife & friends! Go Big Red!

How long have we been saying that and how long will it be acceptable to continue saying that? We're not talking Hofstra or Slippery Rock here.

Mommie gave your internet priviledges back?? bummer

I might be a little too optimistic..... :) Trying to keep a positive attitude about it, but maybe not a completely realistic one.....

You're entitled to your opinions and belief. I was just asking a question in general and certainly not directed at you personally. :)

You're entitled to your opinions and belief. I was just asking a question in general and certainly not directed at you personally. :)

No harm done. Didn't take it personally. Yea, we do keep making excuses up for this coaching staff don't we.... I'm at that point where enough is enough and it's time to move on. It might be good to give them one more year, but then again we were saying the same thing last year after the season was over.

+1... wouldn't that be a most pleasant surprise!!

I'm certain you have plenty of company in your stance, Riggs. I think it's a fair position to hold. Many are not yet sure what to think -- and that's quite understandable.

Last edited:
I've been pretty critical of Bo and his friends that he has chosen for coordinators. It seems he didn't even do a search before he promoted JP.

Still, if you look back, 2010 his team had to face the Big 12 for the final time. His team took the brunt of ire for Osborne's decision to leave that conference. And the then B1G rewarded Nebraska with two seasons where they faced the best of the conference. Those 3 seasons had to be a grind.

His teams have suffered bad, bad losses. His teams have fallen to double digit underdogs. And his teams have lost to unranked teams. The flip side is that he's winning at a better than decent rate.

As far as recruting, it's been a bit better than average. I'd prefer that we were in recruiting races with Texas, Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama, USC, Notre Dame, Oregon and the like as apposed to Indiana, Kansas State, Iowa, Kentucky, and the rest of the 2nd tier teams out there.

It's easy to see why fans go back and forth. We have a guy in here that has 6 years of experience, a guy who's learning from mistakes, a guy the players seem to enjoy.

The tough thing to know is, will he get better, or is this who he is for the long haul. Is this Nebraska Football? If so, I still like the "N" on the helmet.

I've been pretty critical of Bo and his friends that he has chosen for coordinators. It seems he didn't even do a search before he promoted JP.

Still, if you look back, 2010 his team had to face the Big 12 for the final time. His team took the brunt of ire for Osborne's decision to leave that conference. And the then B1G rewarded Nebraska with two seasons where they faced the best of the conference. Those 3 seasons had to be a grind.

His teams have suffered bad, bad losses. His teams have fallen to double digit underdogs. And his teams have lost to unranked teams. The flip side is that he's winning at a better than decent rate.

As far as recruting, it's been a bit better than average. I'd prefer that we were in recruiting races with Texas, Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama, USC, Notre Dame, Oregon and the like as apposed to Indiana, Kansas State, Iowa, Kentucky, and the rest of the 2nd tier teams out there.

It's easy to see why fans go back and forth. We have a guy in here that has 6 years of experience, a guy who's learning from mistakes, a guy the players seem to enjoy.

The tough thing to know is, will he get better, or is this who he is for the long haul. Is this Nebraska Football? If so, I still like the "N" on the helmet.

Very well put. That pretty much sums up where we're at right now. The recruiting most definitely needs to be overhauled. I get kind of tired of the Big Ten recruiting excuse. Ohio State seems to be recruiting just fine. I do see some promise with the youth on our team though. With Beck's comments today, I wonder if this coaching staff even tries to embrace Nebraska. It's always kind of been the us against the world mentality.

I'm for sticking with what we have. The Losses still hurt. I just cannot understand why the there seems to be no blocking on punt returns. One block and they let em go. I just re watched the Penn St game. Over and over one block and let em go. Maybe with RKIII taking Ganz's Job, Maybe They can shuffle some coaching around and get some on else full time on the special teams coaching. It is just so Glaringly Obvious.

I'm for sticking with what we have. The Losses still hurt. I just cannot understand why the there seems to be no blocking on punt returns. One block and they let em go. I just re watched the Penn St game. Over and over one block and let em go. Maybe with RKIII taking Ganz's Job, Maybe They can shuffle some coaching around and get some on else full time on the special teams coaching. It is just so Glaringly Obvious.

The lack of blocking on punt returns baffles me too. Something just isn't adding up in this area.... and that falls back onto the coaching.

Good post. I feel pretty similar. Like BigRedOhio, I want to wait until the season is over. Even after Friday might be enough for me to decide how I feel. Bo wins a lot of games, but unfortunately there are some red flags that haven't been fixed in six years. I don't know if he can break through the glass ceiling, but I also don't know if rolling the dice on a new coach is a smart idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back