• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Glenn Thomas is the new QB coach

Also cuz he never played the position. One of those I can live with.
BOth is legit criticism

SMDH.

Thomas hasn't stepped foot into a Husker locker room and he's declared a pending weak link? My Lord.
Several people believe if the coach is not a Former Husker or some big name former player or coach they have heard about on ESPN that he sucks and will never be good enough to coach at Nebraska

BOth is legit criticism
Legit criticism? I'm not sure "playing the position" was ever, or should ever, be a requirement for successfully teaching football. If there was a guy you'd want teaching receivers, it would be a former quarterback, which McGuire was. It could be argued that a former QB could teach the receiver position better than a former receiver.

Legit criticism? I'm not sure "playing the position" was ever, or should ever, be a requirement for successfully teaching football. If there was a guy you'd want teaching receivers, it would be a former quarterback, which McGuire was. It could be argued that a former QB could teach the receiver position better than a former receiver.
I said one I can live with did you read it?
He has zero experience coaching AND never played the position. One im ok. Both is a legit concern. I hope he works out. He might
But youre crazy if you dont think its fair to be concerned about a 22 yr old kid whose never coached and never played WR, teaching the kids the nuiances of the position AND telling recruits he can coach them to the NFL when a large majority if schools have wr coaches with experience and/ or playing experience
Again....he might pan out. Hope he does but the criticism is fair
He hired like 9 coaches. I critized this one only

Last edited:
He has zero experience coaching AND never played the position. One im ok. Both is a legit concern. I hope he works out. He might
But youre crazy if you dont think its fair to be concerned about a 22 yr old kid whose never coached and never played WR, teaching the kids the nuiances of the position AND telling recruits he can coach them to the NFL when a large majority if schools have wr coaches with experience and/ or playing experience
Yeah...because anyone who has never coached football before will never be a good coach...wait, what?

In all seriousness, I get the risk factor but Rhules job is identifying good staff members and so far he seems to have done exactly that. Yeah old dudes with experience seem the norm, but so far McGuire is recruiting at a very high level. He didn't have many horses in the barn last season and he sure can't help that our QB's keep throwing it to the wrong team....

There are concerns and then there are grounded concerns. My only question is, if learning about space, does one have to go there to know it well?
This isn't contrarian, it often is the norm. Starting out your coaching career as a qb coach I would think is much harder than a wr coach.

If we had past HCs where aspects of the team were left to others I may be even more concerned, but not so much under MR.

Seems fair. You're not making anything up, or exaggerating. The results his first year were not stellar, with legit excuses. We'll soon find out.

BOth is legit criticism
Not playing the position isn't a very legitimate criticism if one considers which coaches have taught what. First, consider the alternative, that playing the spot or even sport makes one better at teaching it. Are the best players in a sport the best teachers of it?
How many high powered golf teachers never made the tour? Would Mike Jordan be a good coach? It isn't playing, its the ability to teach sports movement and tactics. Those abilities are inherent, and while certainly the familiarity with a particular activity lends to depth of understanding, that doesn't preclude acquiring that body of knowledge as an observer.
How does one become an OC or DC without having played all the positions they now command? Many serve in a variety of position roles to satisfy that very acquisition of acumen, although they didn't play all those.
Good coaches are born to it, and they don't much care what it is they are to teach in terms of ability to do so or not.
But! If we are going to denigrate a coach for not having played the position in their charge, how do we give any creedence to an assessment of a coach when the fan has never played the position or themselves coached? If a coach can't gain the knowledge while immersed in the role 24/7, how does the fan gain enough info to know the coach hasn't?

Not playing the position isn't a very legitimate criticism if one considers which coaches have taught what. First, consider the alternative, that playing the spot or even sport makes one better at teaching it. Are the best players in a sport the best teachers of it?
How many high powered golf teachers never made the tour? Would Mike Jordan be a good coach? It isn't playing, its the ability to teach sports movement and tactics. Those abilities are inherent, and while certainly the familiarity with a particular activity lends to depth of understanding, that doesn't preclude acquiring that body of knowledge as an observer.
How does one become an OC or DC without having played all the positions they now command? Many serve in a variety of position roles to satisfy that very acquisition of acumen, although they didn't play all those.
Good coaches are born to it, and they don't much care what it is they are to teach in terms of ability to do so or not.
But! If we are going to denigrate a coach for not having played the position in their charge, how do we give any creedence to an assessment of a coach when the fan has never played the position or themselves coached? If a coach can't gain the knowledge while immersed in the role 24/7, how does the fan gain enough info to know the coach hasn't?
Bingo.

Well when Matt Rhule started all those positions...
What I like is this, the difference between what Mike Riley thought looking like football was and what Matt Rhule thinks looking like football is and we now have Matt Rhule as our coach

Last edited:
A lot of good points about playing experience and coaching chops, etc. I may have mentioned this before but I’ll mention again because I think it’s relevant to the discussion here. Coaching hires also are not made in a vacuum. They are part of a staff. A staff needs to be diverse — age, experience, personality, background, race, regional connections, blah, blah — for all the obvious reasons. All 50-something former coordinators on one staff would implode and fail just as quickly as an entire staff of full of 20-somethings with a ton of energy and little experience. You want a blend. You NEED a blend. It’s not an all-star team. It’s a small group enterprise with a variety of roles and responsibilities.

A lot of good points about playing experience and coaching chops, etc. I may have mentioned this before but I’ll mention again because I think it’s relevant to the discussion here. Coaching hires also are not made in a vacuum. They are part of a staff. A staff needs to be diverse — age, experience, personality, background, race, regional connections, blah, blah — for all the obvious reasons. All 50-something former coordinators on one staff would implode and fail just as quickly as an entire staff of full of 20-somethings with a ton of energy and little experience. You want a blend. You NEED a blend. It’s not an all-star team. It’s a small group enterprise with a variety of roles and responsibilities.
Everybody's teaching, everybody's learning

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back