• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Glenn Thomas is the new QB coach

Weak links: Satt, McGuire, Riaola. Pending verdict, Glenn Thomas
McGuire was working with very little. I thought the freshman started coming around but let's be honest, we didn't have a QB that could hit them either. DR's OL for sure improved throughout the year.

Satt was up and down. Dude was pretty limited on what he could call when you're dealing with QB's that can't hit the broadside of a barn.

I think the progress the OL made over the course of the season coupled with his recruiting has Raiola elevated above weak link status. And I've been a critic of his since he was hired.
I also caution the other two as well. Listening to Jay explaining Banks and his trials of losing his very good qb then having three qbs throwing to him and his reduction in productivity reminds of here, and our Young wrs, and how often we threw the ball, only the service academies threw less.
So validation is reset this year. Imo, and apparently Jay Foremans to an extent.

Last edited:
McGuire was working with very little. I thought the freshman started coming around but let's be honest, we didn't have a QB that could hit them either. DR's OL for sure improved throughout the year.

Satt was up and down. Dude was pretty limited on what he could call when you're dealing with QB's that can't hit the broadside of a barn.
McGuire gets knocked just because some feel he's too young. But it appears young seems to relate well with receivers since we've attracted some good ones. Can he coach them up, I guess we'll see down the line. But I'm thinking Rhule will make sure he'll have help if he needs it.

I think you can teach coaching, but I think recruiting is something that comes naturally.

McGuire gets knocked just because some feel he's too young. But it appears young seems to relate well with receivers since we've attracted some good ones. Can he coach them up, I guess we'll see down the line. But I'm thinking Rhule will make sure he'll have help if he needs it.

I think you can teach coaching, but I think recruiting is something that comes naturally.
Also cuz he never played the position. One of those I can live with.
BOth is legit criticism

Joey wants him with MR. If that alone doesn't say enough, fans aren't respecting MR imo

Also cuz he never played the position. One of those I can live with.
BOth is legit criticism
Disagree about not playing the position. Not a requirement. At all. Classic example close to NU program is Ron Brown. Played DB. Coached DBs. Coach TO brought him to Lincoln to coach WRs. Good recruiter. Young guy. Etc. Seemed to do fine for several years. Good man. I can think of several other examples off the top of my head. And the youth criticism is getting a little stale on this board. A ton of young guys are good coaches. A ton of older guys are just as crappy as when they were young. Not any different than the working world. I don’t give age any benefit of the doubt. Dumb, lazy, and whatever don’t care how old you are. They stick with some people no matter how experienced they are. With young guys you get five things built in: they work their butts off, they follow the program/scheme, they’re cheap, they usually recruit well, and they are loyal because the guy at the top gave them their shot. GBR!

I follow the Steelers very closely and I can say Nebraska could have done a lot worse with this hire. Quite a bit of history with Rhule as well.
yeah - after Pickett went down, they had to scramble a bit. Trubisky (bless his heart) was a mess. But when they got down to Rudolph, he looked pretty solid and actually won them enough to make the wildcard. From what I understand, Coach Glenn was pretty instrumental in getting Rudolph ready for prime time…

Disagree about not playing the position. Not a requirement. At all. Classic example close to NU program is Ron Brown. Played DB. Coached DBs. Coach TO brought him to Lincoln to coach WRs. Good recruiter. Young guy. Etc. Seemed to do fine for several years. Good man. I can think of several other examples off the top of my head. And the youth criticism is getting a little stale on this board. A ton of young guys are good coaches. A ton of older guys are just as crappy as when they were young. Not any different than the working world. I don’t give age any benefit of the doubt. Dumb, lazy, and whatever don’t care how old you are. They stick with some people no matter how experienced they are. With young guys you get five things built in: they work their butts off, they follow the program/scheme, they’re cheap, they usually recruit well, and they are loyal because the guy at the top gave them their shot. GBR!
Im not sayin it cant be done well.
But if you are going to teach someone the finer ways of playing the position. Moves, extra ways to get open, etc, etc........experiences that work and dont work. You're going to get that from a coach thats been in the trenches better than someone thats really young and never experienced the position at all.

And, if you walk into a recruits house, you've got an edge up if you can show them that youve played the position and been there and done that and have experience of teaching other guys successfully and playing the position vs a young guy thats never coached anyone up or even played the position at any level.

Again, Im not saying it cant be done or that Mcguire cant do a good job. But I dont see how what I just put above is disputable
Mcguire is a reach but I hope it works out for him

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back