• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Glenn Thomas is the new QB coach

For the record, I could care less whether he played the position or not. I just notice the hypocrisy and natural tendencies of fans to pump the koolaid. The same fans who dismiss our wide receivers coach lack of playing experience are the same ones who have bragged up our offensive line coach as being able to relate to recruits because he played in the NFL.
I personally think it’s too early to tell on either one until we have an offense not performing in the bottom 20% of FBS. Right now critics have some validity in their argument. It’s up to those coaches to prove the critics wrong. I think they have better personnel in place so that part is good.
I agree passing judgement this early in the process isn't giving the staff or players a fair shake.

But addressing the bold. What has our current WR coach done wrong that he should be criticized? And I'm not saying you have criticized.

If I evaluated him today, I'd say he's helped bring in a good group of receivers through recruiting and the portal. Last year's recruits had good things to say about him and how well he related to them. Perhaps when it comes to recruiting his young age is a positive instead of a negative. As for on the field at this point it's probably a wash, nothing good nothing bad considering how last year went. It seems with everything that's been put in place through recruiting and the portal this off season, next year should tell us something about his ability to coach.

Well, its wiki.
He coached hs football, later took up vb. Was mandated to, he said he didn't want to coach womens sports, wanted to be a football coach again.
That's a cool article. Coach Cook gets it.

I like the fact that he is always looking for new ideas and methods. Also like the fact that he realized he has to build relationships if he is going to ask his players to make the commitments he is asking from them.
Yep, not like a drill Sargent running it down to his draftees. Appreciation starts on both sides and also finishes best that way.

I agree passing judgement this early in the process isn't giving the staff or players a fair shake.

But addressing the bold. What has our current WR coach done wrong that he should be criticized? And I'm not saying you have criticized.

If I evaluated him today, I'd say he's helped bring in a good group of receivers through recruiting and the portal. Last year's recruits had good things to say about him and how well he related to them. Perhaps when it comes to recruiting his young age is a positive instead of a negative. As for on the field at this point it's probably a wash, nothing good nothing bad considering how last year went. It seems with everything that's been put in place through recruiting and the portal this off season, next year should tell us something about his ability to coach.
I'm not criticizing him so much as I am repeating previous comments from other posters that his hire was a risk given his complete lack of experience both as a player (he never played the position) and as a coach (he has never coached college football before). Maybe he will turn out to be a great coach and recruiter, maybe not. Only time will tell.

I would add that this is a relatively low risk thing. If he turns out to be a terrible coach, I don't think it would have a huge impact on the team performance as a whole. If he turns out to be a good coach it could have a big positive impact on the team. Therefore, I am willing to give Rhule the benefit of the doubt on this.

Yes, but as a sub, he coached football. Never trust wiki. Read his own words from my link .
From my link above

Why did you decide to commit to become a professional volleyball coach? What pushed you towards that decision?

So for me, I grew up in California, Southern California, I did not play volleyball. I was actually becoming a teacher, and was coaching high school football(American Football).

Back then you had to first become a substitute teacher to get into a school, or a school district to even be eligible to get a full time schedule as a teacher. I was a substitute for three years just trying to get in.
Cook definitely coached high school volleyball. This is from his bio page on the University of Nebraska volleyball website. I doubt the University would print false information about their coaches.

Cook also served as the head assistant coach at the University of California-San Diego from 1983 to 1984, where he aided the Tritons to an NCAA Division III national championship in 1984 and a second-place national finish in 1983. Cook’s coaching credentials also include leading Francis Parker High School in San Diego to two California state championships. During his six-year coaching stint from 1981 to 1988, he had an overall record of 162-18, including a 90-match winning streak.

Cook definitely coached high school volleyball. This is from his bio page on the University of Nebraska volleyball website. I doubt the University would print false information about their coaches.

Cook also served as the head assistant coach at the University of California-San Diego from 1983 to 1984, where he aided the Tritons to an NCAA Division III national championship in 1984 and a second-place national finish in 1983. Cook’s coaching credentials also include leading Francis Parker High School in San Diego to two California state championships. During his six-year coaching stint from 1981 to 1988, he had an overall record of 162-18, including a 90-match winning streak.
I never said he didn't. I said it wasn't his choice to. I also said he was a football coach first.

I think it is also very difficult to judge Garrett's work because of other contributing factors that were clearly in play. We had QBs who could not thrown the ball accurately or timely, and were too turnover prone. We had an improved line, but still struggled in pass protection. Group that with a wideout room that was horrifically young and thrown into the fire due to injuries, and you have a big question mark on where to point the finger.

With a more polished, albeit young QB coming in, combined with another year of experience for the receivers, and hopefully, more improved play on the line, we will see exactly the impact (or lack thereof) Garrett has on his position group.

We had lots of reason to pump the brakes on passing judgment this year. Next year, its a different story. Put up or shut up time for all involved on the offensive side of the ball. There is no excuse to be as bad as we were two years in a row considering how well Rhule plugged gaps in the roster this offseason.

Last edited:

I never said he didn't. I said it wasn't his choice to. I also said he was a football coach first.
He coached football briefly. Interestingly enough, it was his first love. He wanted to coach football, but he found more success as a volleyball coach. He has talked about his love for football on his podcast that he does with his daughter, Lauren Cook-West, called "Kicking Back with the Cooks".

My point is that Cook had almost 2 decades of volleyball coaching experience before he came to Nebraska. Our current football WR coach had no experience at coaching before he came to Nebraska, which was the point of the argument.

He coached football briefly. Interestingly enough, it was his first love. He wanted to coach football, but he found more success as a volleyball coach. He has talked about his love for football on his podcast that he does with his daughter, Lauren Cook-West, called "Kicking Back with the Cooks".

My point is that Cook had almost 2 decades of volleyball coaching experience before he came to Nebraska. Our current football WR coach had no experience at coaching before he came to Nebraska, which was the point of the argument.
No, you're conflating having no previous experience with having previous experience.
He has stated in my link, he never played volleyball.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back