• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Glenn Thomas is the new QB coach

I said one I can live with did you read it?
He has zero experience coaching AND never played the position. One im ok. Both is a legit concern. I hope he works out. He might
But youre crazy if you dont think its fair to be concerned about a 22 yr old kid whose never coached and never played WR, teaching the kids the nuiances of the position AND telling recruits he can coach them to the NFL when a large majority if schools have wr coaches with experience and/ or playing experience
Again....he might pan out. Hope he does but the criticism is fair
He hired like 9 coaches. I critized this one only
Coaches kids are a different breed. Now I am not talking about my kid or Grand kid. I am a low level coach never going higher than mid range high school teams in any sport. Never higher than junior high level in football. However, high level coaches kids are often well above their years in knowledge of the game. Does it always work out? of course not. All you have to do is look at last years Iowa offense to know that. However, they often end up as good or better than Dad. The best examples are guys like Kiffin.

Anyway, let's look at part of Mcguires write up on Huskers.com.
McGuire was one of the youngest coaches in the NFL, earning a role immediately after a four-year playing career at Baylor. Coaching runs in Garret’s family as his father, Joey, won 142 games as a high school head coach in Texas before leading Texas Tech to an 8-5 record and a bowl win in his first season as the Red Raiders’ head coach in 2022.

So his dad was a very successful coach in Texas. His Dad is now a P% head coach. Garrett himself has played D-1 ball as a QB. He has 2 years' experience working with WRs in the NFL. Now if all of this was in a 35-year-old body instead of a 24-year-old body would you be worried? If the answer is no, then it is only age that you have issue with.

When Zac Taylor was the TE coach at Texas A&M he was about the same age Garrett is now. A Position he never played for a coach whose daughter he was dating. In less than 15 years he went from that to NFL head coach. Actually, way less than 15 years. So are you saying Zac should not have been hired by A&M? If not then you just do not like Garrett because he was not a former Husker.

Either that or you just like to complain. Not sure what it is.

Last edited:
A little bad news here, McQuire has coached at the NFL level with Rhule at Carolina and did so for two years. And in terms of playing the position, he played QB, and I'll just jump out on that limb and suggest that QBs are very likely to understand a significant amount about the requirements of receiving. That holds particularly true if they have a mind for the game as coaches tend to do.
But a significant glossing over of a troubling detail in this debate. Ole boy now has a year of coaching wide receiver, thus as I understand it, the statement "he's never coached" no longer holds kimchi.
Neither can I. Goes right through me now.

R.7f15c4980633c29a290cb0e165157866

Yes, football and hs. Later started coaching vb.
Bud Grant was similar
I'm not saying Wiki is always right, but it says he took a teaching position that required coaching 3 women's sports including volleyball, which he knew nothing about. It doesn't say anything about ever coaching football.

But I seem to remember Cook once talking about wanting to coach football and be a DC. Maybe that's why his volleyball teams are always so great on defense.

I'm not saying Wiki is always right, but it says he took a teaching position that required coaching 3 women's sports including volleyball, which he knew nothing about. It doesn't say anything about ever coaching football.

But I seem to remember Cook once talking about wanting to coach football and be a DC. Maybe that's why his volleyball teams are always so great on defense.
Well, its wiki.
He coached hs football, later took up vb. Was mandated to, he said he didn't want to coach womens sports, wanted to be a football coach again.

Last edited:
For the record, I could care less whether he played the position or not. I just notice the hypocrisy and natural tendencies of fans to pump the koolaid. The same fans who dismiss our wide receivers coach lack of playing experience are the same ones who have bragged up our offensive line coach as being able to relate to recruits because he played in the NFL.
I personally think it’s too early to tell on either one until we have an offense not performing in the bottom 20% of FBS. Right now critics have some validity in their argument. It’s up to those coaches to prove the critics wrong. I think they have better personnel in place so that part is good.

Glenn Thomas is the new QB coach.​

Just sayin'

Last edited:

So for me, I grew up in California, Southern California, I did not play volleyball. I was actually becoming a teacher, and was coaching high school football(American Football).
He coached high school volleyball for six years. The below is pasted from John Cook's bio in wikipedia:

After Cook's college graduation, he got a job teaching geography at his high school alma mater of Francis Parker School, a private institution in San Diego. The job provided him with a free apartment, but also required him to coach three girls' sports—basketball, softball, and volleyball. According to ESPN journalist Elizabeth Merrill, "He knew little about volleyball, and had to read books to get a grasp on the basics." Cook proved to be a quick learner; in six seasons as Parker's volleyball coach, he had a 162–18 record, including a 90-match winning streak and two state championships.

He coached high school volleyball for six years. The below is pasted from John Cook's bio in wikipedia:

After Cook's college graduation, he got a job teaching geography at his high school alma mater of Francis Parker School, a private institution in San Diego. The job provided him with a free apartment, but also required him to coach three girls' sports—basketball, softball, and volleyball. According to ESPN journalist Elizabeth Merrill, "He knew little about volleyball, and had to read books to get a grasp on the basics." Cook proved to be a quick learner; in six seasons as Parker's volleyball coach, he had a 162–18 record, including a 90-match winning streak and two state championships.
Yes, but as a sub, he coached football. Never trust wiki. Read his own words from my link .
From my link above

Why did you decide to commit to become a professional volleyball coach? What pushed you towards that decision?

So for me, I grew up in California, Southern California, I did not play volleyball. I was actually becoming a teacher, and was coaching high school football(American Football).

Back then you had to first become a substitute teacher to get into a school, or a school district to even be eligible to get a full time schedule as a teacher. I was a substitute for three years just trying to get in.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back