• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Gebbia...

He's not incorrect that Gebbia would have played in this game if he stayed. He's incorrect that Gebbia should have stayed hoping that a guy in front of him gets injured to help him fulfill his dreams of being a starting QB.

Not really sure how that is hard to understand that for a QB that is a flawed thought process. Any other position on the field, fine, you stay. Not QB.
I never said anything about hoping for any injury so don’t put words in my mouth. There are many ways he could’ve gotten into the game. Persistence generally pays off don’t be such a quitter at the first sign of adversity. That’s the lesson here he got some bad advice from somebody.

Maybe if you're 3rd string or worse, sure. Second string? In a close competition? With the style of offense being run? True freshman in front of you?

Man, all of those reasons scream stick it out to me.
But we agree you stick it out hoping the guy in front of you gets injured, correct? Watching Martinez healthy, is Gebbia coming in for him, ever?

I never said anything about hoping for any injury so don’t put words in my mouth. There are many ways he could’ve gotten into the game. Persistence generally pays off don’t be such a quitter at the first sign of adversity. That’s the lesson here he got some bad advice from somebody.
The only way he was playing is injury, he wasn't beating out Martinez ever. You saw the game with Martinez healthy.

He got great advice. It hurts for someone only looking at it as a Husker fan, I get it.

He's not incorrect that Gebbia would have played in this game if he stayed. He's incorrect that Gebbia should have stayed hoping that a guy in front of him gets injured to help him fulfill his dreams of being a starting QB.

Not really sure how that is hard to understand that for a QB that is a flawed thought process. Any other position on the field, fine, you stay. Not QB.

We know Gebbia would have at the very least played in this game. It appears Martinez may have a serious knee injury. If he's done for several games or maybe the entire season, Gebbia would have become the starting QB for Nebraska. Once he takes the job, there's no guarantee Martinez ever gets it back. Given the style of offense, the potential for a QB injury is pretty high and somebody should have told him that.

Instead, Gebbia gets to sit a year and not play. When/if he does play it'll be for Oregon State. Unless half the PAC-12 drops football, Oregon State isn't going to contend for a conference title. Given how bad they've been historically, Oregon State may never even get to a bowl game over the next few years.

Last edited:
No he got the advice he needed...Sure he has no regrets, or at least not as much as you have

We know Gebbia would have at the very least played in this game. It appears Martinez may have a serious knee injury. If he's done for several games or maybe the entire season, Gebbia would have become the starting QB for Nebraska. Once he takes the job, there's no guarantee Martinez ever gets it back. Given the style of offense, the potential for a QB injury is pretty high.

Instead, Gebbia gets to sit a year and not play. When/if he does play it'll be for Oregon State. Unless half the PAC-12 drops football, Oregon State isn't going to contend for a conference title. Given how bad they've been historically, Oregon State may never even get to a bowl game over the next few years.
OSU sends QB to NFL though...or they have

Milking the clock should be common sense. I love the coach. NU will be fine. Not bitching about the coach at all.
We did it in the first half when our defense was getting tired. But the majority of the time we won't until the clock gets real low. It isn't going to happen as much as we want. I'm more upset with the speed option than the lack of bleeding the clock because bleeding the clock isn't who we are. Frost/Walters can protect Martinez.

But we agree you stick it out hoping the guy in front of you gets injured, correct? Watching Martinez healthy, is Gebbia coming in for him, ever?

Wait, sticking it out as the 2nd string means you hope the dude in front of you gets hurt? Really?

I seem to think it's more prevalent for the 2nd string to be ready to go IN CASE that happens.

Sure hope He got promised the starting job at OSU, cause if not, he's running out of eligibility.

The only way he was playing is injury, he wasn't beating out Martinez ever. You saw the game with Martinez healthy.

He got great advice. It hurts for someone only looking at it as a Husker fan, I get it.
Yes I saw the game. Guy has a bit of history with injury. The way he plays makes an injury more probable. I disagree with you. I guess you’re saying Gebbia sucks. He was a pretty highly rated QB himself. One play away. Could have struggled also. He did at times today against a yet to be determined CU squad.

Wait, sticking it out as the 2nd string means you hope the dude in front of you gets hurt? Really?

I seem to think it's more prevalent for the 2nd string to be ready to go IN CASE that happens.

Sure hope He got promised the starting job at OSU, cause if not, he's running out of eligibility.
sure he will earn it there ...he almost did here

Anyone who honestly believes Gebbia would be any closer to playing based on Martinez overall play clearly didn't watch the game. Injuries happen. Gebbia screwed this team by leaving, that was my thoughts on the day it happened. He left his teammates high and dry and now its going to hurt them (if Martinez is really out for the year).

But the initial thoughts in the OP about Martinez overall play are ridiculous.

Bingo. Horrific advice he got.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back