• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Gardening

Ive had pretty good luck in SoCal with Jalapeno peppers, they vary quite a bit, and I try to get the milder ones, which have turned out great. They continue to produce peppers from the same plant. As in.... 1 plant may be 20 inches high and as big around as a soccer ball, but may produce 24-30 peppers from April - Dec.

They can be different size and shape of course, my crop last year had smaller peppers maybe 4-4.5 inches long and as big around as your thumb, and they were red, in color, not green, as so often they are. But there is a quite a variety of them.

Yes I garden or should I say wife does.
5 different tomatoes
5 different peppers.. Scorpion pepper for fist time
cauliflower. In the winter
okra.. in the winter
squash.. ask the wife
zuchinni
cucumbers
herb (pot)

So far the following have sprouted and will be ready for planting soon.

Okra
Cauliflower
Kohlrabi
Leaf lettuce
Tomatoes - Cherry 100's, Husky Mediums, Calimari
Peppers- Red, yelllow, green Bells. Big Jim. California Wonder, Cowhorn, Poblano, Pepperoncini, Cherry, and Cayenne.
Squash- Spaghetti, Butternut, and Zuchini
Cucumbers.
Plus she has a whole grip of flowers and herbs. Not Pops' herbs.

It is looking like we are going to start outdoor planting Thursday afternoon based on the long term forecast. Fingers crossed for no more freezes. We have 10 inch tomato plants, and squash vines already trying to bud indoors.

We had a large area with 4'X4' raised beds... worked great1
13 months ago we downsized and last summer I grew tomatoes in 25 gallon "smart pots." with potting mix. Worked well. This year I will try 2 Crnkovic Yugoslavian plants, 2 Estler's version of Mortgage Lifter and one SunGold. That is all my wife will let me put on the patio.

gardening, right now I am pessimistic about mine, potatoes are in the ground, and when they "should" be on Good Friday, thanks to my retired father, who wanted to be around the kids. they still aren't up, but why should they, the fricking weather here is like Feb., not April. have every thing else waiting to be planted except onion bulbs, (come on Gurneys). plant green beans, which I can, carrots, also can, cucumbers for both pickling and eating fresh, will buy tomato and pepper plants to can and pickle when I deem the time is right. unfortunately this "spring" it may be in June. I work in the wrong end of the ag industry to really do a good job of gardening, including flowers, which would be interesting. when I have time, the season is mostly gone. time is the limiting factor, and it sucks.

Put leaf lettuce starts, cauliflower, and kohlrabi out yesterday. Going to place Squash and tomatoes tonight. The rest we will plant as they come to size.

This year we've got the following:

• Onions
  • Rhubarb
  • Lettuce
  • Carrot
  • Corn
  • Pumpkin
  • Watermelon
  • Green Beans
  • 3x variety of Peppers
  • 5x variety of Tomatoes

So we did three kohlrabi to see how they would do here. I pulled the last two yesterday, they were dang near softball sized. I will now grow sets in September for a much bigger fall crop.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back