• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Frost set for at least 4 more years

While I can't say you're wrong, I don't believe anyone other than Riley himself (and probably his wife) knows how much losing bothered him. There's a lot of really bad coaches that also hate to lose. Personally, I don't think any coach doesn't mind losing. Now, some may express their frustrations differently than others, but how we perceive and interpret isn't necessarily reality.

I'm actually not yet convinced Frost is the right fit either. And if he wasn't a Nebraska native/former Husker, a lot of people would be questioning that. Again, 2020 will tell us a lot. GBR.

The reason why I say what I did was because losing didn't bother me enough when I coached. I didn't want to put the time in that was necessary to really be good. That is why I was never anything other than an assistant. I didn't want to put HC time into things, and I was OK with that. Now I am not saying that MR didn't work long hours and prepare his team properly. But he probably didn't fight for things very hard and let SE dictate things. It wasn't his idea to get rid of Banker. It wasn't his idea to be doing rugby tackling. It wasn't his idea to curtail different aspects of lifting. He was just happy to be coaching football.

Last edited:
I don't want to sound old but
I've understood the game and followed the huskers for 50+ years. I too have been accountable for the well being of (well north of) 150 individuals in venues much more important than a football field. It is rather easy to criticize anyone who is extremely well paid to do a job and is stumbling. I would hope his disappointment is exponentially higher than "any meager fan" or he should be out of the business. "There's a lot of work to do" will be tough to sell in year 3.

And did you have your every move and decision critiqued by anonymous posters on a message board? Were you held accountable for 150 individuals who could transfer to another service or just stay home if they chose, rather than doing what they were ordered to do? Just curious.

The reason why I say what I did was because losing didn't bother me enough when I coached. I didn't want to put the time in that was necessary to really be good. That is why I was never anything other than an assistant. I didn't want to put HC time into things, and I was OK with that. Now I am not saying that MR didn't work long hours and prepare his team properly. But he probably didn't fight for things very hard and let SE dictate things. It wasn't his idea to get rid of Banker. It wasn't his idea to be doing rugby tackling. It wasn't his idea to curtail different aspects of lifting. He was just happy to be coaching football.

Good points.

I do think the nail in Riley's coffin was allowing Eichorst to dictate who the defensive coordinator would be. For that matter, I put a ton of blame on Shawn Eichorst for the demise of Nebraska football (I wish he would have been fired well prior to the 2017 season -- I hated the timing).

Interestingly, Nebraska's defense in 2016 under Banker (his last in Lincoln) ranked higher (total, scoring, and run defense) than any season since Nebraska joined the Big Ten. We were 22nd nationally in total defense in 2016 -- what I would do for that again.

Banker was not a bad defensive coordinator, but Eichorst wanted to run the football program with a similar approach to Pederson. And Riley bent over and accepted. Ugh.

Last edited:

Good points.

I do think the nail in Riley's coffin was allowing Eichorst to dictate who the defensive coordinator would be. For that matter, I put a ton of blame on Shawn Eichorst for the demise of Nebraska football (I wish he would have been fired well prior to the 2017 season -- I hated the timing).

Interestingly, Nebraska's defense in 2016 under Banker (his last in Lincoln) ranked higher (total, scoring, and run defense) than any season since Nebraska joined the Big Ten. We were 22nd nationally in total defense in 2016 -- what I would do for that again.

Banker was not a bad defensive coordinator, but Eichorst wanted to run the football program with a similar approach to Pederson. And Riley bent over and accepted. Ugh.
I agree. If Riley wasn’t forced to fire Banker, I wonder how differently the 2017 would have been. Offensively, we were still offensively awful though.
I remember one thing Riley said post firing was that he wished he had called the plays. I wonder how that would have changed things too. Because I agree Riley is football smart and can probably teach football. I just don’t think he was ready or able to coach big time football.

If the OC was calling the plays I would tend to rate that as a bigger issue. Didn't we get about a week of practice in? I think we got some but not sure.

I didn’t think we did, but I could be wrong.

Also, while other teams are all basically in the same boat, we will be impacted harder because we’re still getting our process and culture in place. Places that have been running basically the same program for years, like Alabama, will be impacted less. That’s from Dr. Rob.

And did you have your every move and decision critiqued by anonymous posters on a message board? Were you held accountable for 150 individuals who could transfer to another service or just stay home if they chose, rather than doing what they were ordered to do? Just curious.
To answer your first question, nope. If I was critiqued it would have been by someone who was anything but anonymous. And of course I didn't have a multi-thousand fan base (probably not even many fans) following my every move. Didn't get paid millions to shoulder that weight either. In answer to your second question, you might be surprised. The old maxim is 10% of any group of people are likely slackers or outright knuckleheads, the larger of a group you have the bigger that number is. And you spend 90% of your time on that 10%. Obviously (I think obviously anyway) folks couldn't arbitrarily transfer to another service or just stay home (just stay home without serious repercussions) but believe me, some found other ways to get out of their commitment that were a lot more frustrating and time consuming than a kid entering the transfer portal.

I didn’t think we did, but I could be wrong.

Also, while other teams are all basically in the same boat, we will be impacted harder because we’re still getting our process and culture in place. Places that have been running basically the same program for years, like Alabama, will be impacted less. That’s from Dr. Rob.
We did have two practices.
I agree whole heartedly. We are still early in the process I think.

While I can't say you're wrong, I don't believe anyone other than Riley himself (and probably his wife) knows how much losing bothered him. There's a lot of really bad coaches that also hate to lose. Personally, I don't think any coach doesn't mind losing. Now, some may express their frustrations differently than others, but how we perceive and interpret isn't necessarily reality.

I'm actually not yet convinced Frost is the right fit either. And if he wasn't a Nebraska native/former Husker, a lot of people would be questioning that. Again, 2020 will tell us a lot. GBR.
December 2014 recall: Lots of national sportswriters and majority of HMax members said "Great Hire".

If 2020 losing record (again), then hire Bob Stoops. Itchy to return HC, 59 years old and B1G alumni (Iowa). Second season, NC winner. Who cares about "Big Game Bob".

John Blake (12W-22L)=Scott Frost (9W-15L)?

Last edited:

Good points.

Looking at ONE SCORE games over the past 10 years is very interesting. I would be interested in posters thoughts on these numbers.

2019- 1 of 5
2018- 1of 6
2017- 1 of 3
2016- 1 of 6
2015- 1 of 5
Last 5 years 5 of 25

2014- 1of 3
2013- 4 of 5
2012- 4 of 5
2011- 2 of 3
2010- 0 of 3 * ( includes conference championship loss to Oklahoma )
First 5 years 11 of 19

What does this say about the program over the past 10 years?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back