• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Frost: AM maybe on cruise-control in year 2...

Loved this assessment, just wanted to add we didn’t realize how Morgan helped, losing that deep threat, let teams play tighter. Which is one reason I’m optimistic about Manning and Bets they have that potential to fill that more than the recruits we haves last year, and I love Warner, but he shouldn’t be starting for a team that expects to win a lot of games, is a nice complimentary piece/ rotational player.
Safeties were playing so close to the LOS against us because we had no deep threat. We had no one to take the top off so they had that much more run support because they could hang with our WRs in close range. Hopefully that's not an issue this year.

Exactly, lots of jumping to conclusions. Some of you guys hear that one sentence and you have visions of AM sitting on his helmet every day in practice.

If I was to guess, and this is only speculation on my part, he means he needs to focus more on the little things and work at being sharp all the time.
I'd also like to point out that AMart wanted to get more reps in practice, especially in the spring before last fall, but we pulled the plug on that a bit for multiple reasons that i've gone into on here. That could have led to some of him being lax in preparation.

Well, there's a lot in your post...

Our OL at the end of 2018 looked outstanding, but we regressed replacing two starters and looked pretty bad in 2019 at the beginning. Last year I think they improved just like they did in 2018, but why the regression? Pretty easy on the surface to point to 2 starters lost and a center playing that had literally never done it before. But when you dig down deeper, it was more about what we were running as well. Austin was not pleased with the east/west running situation as our line was not built for that, Jaimes, Farniok, Wilson are all north/south guys. When Washington would bounce outside no matter what, and then Martinez would pull and throw despite there being a lane (remember Frost mouthing "run the ball" to him that one game). So between calls to go to the sideline, then when we did have north/south calls us not making that decision, it got away from us a bit.

But to your point, we had zero WRs last year besides JD, line struggled right away, snaps were inconsistent, kicked our most talented RB off the team, and had communication issues with the offensive coordinator getting the play down in a timely manner. We are in a much better spot this year. The thing that will be tough is you have one proven RB, and then Wandale at WR. We have a ton of incoming talent at WR, but we said that before entering 2019. In fact, you can go back and find quotes on twitter and message boards about guys like Houston, Nance, and Chase earning significant playing time. Now, Manning and Betts are even better than our 2019 class, but I always hesitate to get excited based on who we brought in for a recruiting class.

I think your main question was about the OL and i'm extremely optimistic there. The bottom line is we return all 5 starters, so we could go with the same group and get at least a little improvement which would be great based on how they were playing towards the end of the year and with Austin developing the run game plan for 2020. But I think they know our best line is with Farniok at guard, so despite us not starting the same 5, we could be leaps and bounds better.

OL will be good this year. We need to find consistency at WR and our offense could be pretty potent.

Good post I agree and thing the O-line should be pretty good this year. I think the run game will be good and I think they need to lean on it a little more than SF might light to do. Lots of young talent at the RB spot. They need to find a couple of backups they can get 15 carries a game out of. Mills is built for 20+ a game and I hope they do that.

As far as the receiving corps goes they need to get the TE waaayyyy more involved. Their catches need to double this year. Manning needs to be the real deal and you hope Betts is ready to play. I still think LM needs to see some time at WR, wildcat or what ever. He is too talented to sit as a backup QB get him on the field.

Loved this assessment, just wanted to add we didn’t realize how Morgan helped, losing that deep threat, let teams play tighter. Which is one reason I’m optimistic about Manning and Bets they have that potential to fill that more than the recruits we haves last year, and I love Warner, but he shouldn’t be starting for a team that expects to win a lot of games, is a nice complimentary piece/ rotational player.
I know I just posted about Warner, but that's pretty spot on. I love a kid like that who will be where the QB thinks he is going to be, but when you get a kid with more athleticism doing that exact same thing, that is when your offense goes next level.

Good post I agree and thing the O-line should be pretty good this year. I think the run game will be good and I think they need to lean on it a little more than SF might light to do. Lots of young talent at the RB spot. They need to find a couple of backups they can get 15 carries a game out of. Mills is built for 20+ a game and I hope they do that.

As far as the receiving corps goes they need to get the TE waaayyyy more involved. Their catches need to double this year. Manning needs to be the real deal and you hope Betts is ready to play. I still think LM needs to see some time at WR, wildcat or what ever. He is too talented to sit as a backup QB get him on the field.
I really like Mills, especially for what Coach Austin is going to try and shift them to do. I think he was overlooked last year and didn't look terrible catching the ball the couple times they asked that of him. What i'm intrigued with is recruits at RB. If you remember, Rahmir Johnson was getting all sorts of praise out of high school because that dude can fly. But when he got in, he just looked not quite ready yet. This redshirt year could really help him. But what about our guys we brought in for 2020 and Thompkins.... we have options, but will they be ready?

I said before the 2019 season we were going to do a ton of 2 TE sets because we were inexperienced at WR. That never came to fruition, but I think it will this year while we get the first year WRs up to speed. Stoll, Allen, and Vokolek are all pretty lethal. I believe we will have some packages for LM, but we need some 2020 WRs to step up and help. If Houston and Nance couldn't see time in 2019, it's not easier with Robinson moving back to WR, Warner being uninjured, and the 2020 class we brought in.

I really like Mills, especially for what Coach Austin is going to try and shift them to do. I think he was overlooked last year and didn't look terrible catching the ball the couple times they asked that of him. What i'm intrigued with is recruits at RB. If you remember, Rahmir Johnson was getting all sorts of praise out of high school because that dude can fly. But when he got in, he just looked not quite ready yet. This redshirt year could really help him. But what about our guys we brought in for 2020 and Thompkins.... we have options, but will they be ready?

I said before the 2019 season we were going to do a ton of 2 TE sets because we were inexperienced at WR. That never came to fruition, but I think it will this year while we get the first year WRs up to speed. Stoll, Allen, and Vokolek are all pretty lethal. I believe we will have some packages for LM, but we need some 2020 WRs to step up and help. If Houston and Nance couldn't see time in 2019, it's not easier with Robinson moving back to WR, Warner being uninjured, and the 2020 class we brought in.

To your last paragraph, that might be where Lubick comes in. His resume as a WR coach is pretty impressive, so maybe he can get guys like Nance and Houston ready to contribute.

Very true. I can tell you some WRs didn’t think they were improving. Lubick is an upgrade and Frost made the difficult call to make a change.

To be fair, Walters had a pretty good resume as well. But I think Lubick knowing exactly what Frost wants since they worked together for a long time will make a huge difference. If not, then maybe we're recruiting the wrong WRs. :)

Martinez seemed like a mess between the ears last year. So if that was in part due to complacency in practice/preparation and not being able to just turn it on in games, then hopefully he's beyond that. Sure as hell better be, anyway . . . or hand the keys over to someone who's wired more full-time as a gamer (which I suspect McCaffrey almost certainly is and Smothers may very well be too but I have to think we want to RS him at all costs). I'd love to see Martinez be the guy, but this program has been down too long to settle for less at QB on the field.

Add whatever inside-the-helmet issues he had going on to the physical "challenges" (bad wheel, bad shoulder, getting a bit chunky and losing a step, etc) and I hope to never see 2019 Martinez again.

Might be a weird year. I'm sort of going into it expecting a rough road given the loss/change of personnel, loss of practice time, unknown impacts of COVID, etc. If the team surprises, then that will be great. If they struggle again, then I think the COVID impacts provide kind of a built-in mulligan/buffer for Frost and staff and that buys him a little added time and good will. Under ideal circumstances, he could ill afford another subpar season. Since it's far from ideal--if it becomes another year tacked on to the reset then I think people will give him that cover more openly.

Very true. I can tell you some WRs didn’t think they were improving. Lubick is an upgrade and Frost made the difficult call to make a change.

Have you heard anything on Peanut Houston? Sounds like he was doing well, but then seems to have dropped off the face of the earth.

Well, there's a lot in your post...

Our OL at the end of 2018 looked outstanding, but we regressed replacing two starters and looked pretty bad in 2019 at the beginning. Last year I think they improved just like they did in 2018, but why the regression? Pretty easy on the surface to point to 2 starters lost and a center playing that had literally never done it before. But when you dig down deeper, it was more about what we were running as well. Austin was not pleased with the east/west running situation as our line was not built for that, Jaimes, Farniok, Wilson are all north/south guys. When Washington would bounce outside no matter what, and then Martinez would pull and throw despite there being a lane (remember Frost mouthing "run the ball" to him that one game). So between calls to go to the sideline, then when we did have north/south calls us not making that decision, it got away from us a bit.

But to your point, we had zero WRs last year besides JD, line struggled right away, snaps were inconsistent, kicked our most talented RB off the team, and had communication issues with the offensive coordinator getting the play down in a timely manner. We are in a much better spot this year. The thing that will be tough is you have one proven RB, and then Wandale at WR. We have a ton of incoming talent at WR, but we said that before entering 2019. In fact, you can go back and find quotes on twitter and message boards about guys like Houston, Nance, and Chase earning significant playing time. Now, Manning and Betts are even better than our 2019 class, but I always hesitate to get excited based on who we brought in for a recruiting class.

I think your main question was about the OL and i'm extremely optimistic there. The bottom line is we return all 5 starters, so we could go with the same group and get at least a little improvement which would be great based on how they were playing towards the end of the year and with Austin developing the run game plan for 2020. But I think they know our best line is with Farniok at guard, so despite us not starting the same 5, we could be leaps and bounds better.

OL will be good this year. We need to find consistency at WR and our offense could be pretty potent.

You left out ST's...KO's, KOR's, Punts, PR's, and FG's were all ranging from well below average to horrendous. Bring those all up to just average and NU has 7 W's

And here we go again. The Frost resentment, or second guessing, or whatever we want to label it, for unknown reasons rears it's ugly, but expected, head. Just a reminder, if people are hearing information as to what they believe the staff is doing, and that is coming via some 18-20 year olds, then you might as well be asking a 5 year old how a vase got broken in the living room. 'Well, I was standing there, but not by the vase, and I wasn't running, and it fell...but I wasn't running'. As for the feeling of AM being a little less focused, if people don't think the approach of most players is different if they are fighting for the starting job, or returning as the starter, then you must have hung around some far more dedicated individuals. Being a little too comfortable isn't shocking. Coaches see it, and in most cases they know it's just a matter of time before that lackadaisical attitude is adjusted by a punch in the mouth, usually delivered by an opponent. I think AM's problem was he never got a chance to adjust back into that aggressive mindset. Injuries and ancillary factors slowed him getting that edge back. If you don't think it was addressed, at least subtly by the staff, then we may not have been paying attention to the gushing accolades given LM as being a film nerd and gym rat who couldn't get enough. If there had been more physical maturity with Luke, you might have seen Frost handle things a little more aggressively. For whatever reason, he never seemed that enamored with Vedral (I have no explanation for this) which may have also influenced how that was handled. His comment about the QB room this year made it apparent he is happier with the level of experience and talent. If the boldness of that statement hurts feelings, or causes someone to curl up, then I think he'll live with that, and look to whoever is mentally toughest.

As much as we all second guess, until we are all able to sit down and have beers with the staff, getting to hear all of the behind the scenes stuff, then none of us has a clue what the thought process was behind the handling of the team. One of my most eye opening experiences was getting to play golf at an alumni event with a former coach. He explained a ton of the things he did over the years, many of which I thought he was an idiot for doing, and why he did them. It was in some ways maddening, and others extremely understandable. He made some decisions based on how mentally strong certain players were, not just how talented, but by who could better deal with the disappointment of being benched or not starting. He started a guy who he knew wasn't as good, but he also knew he was young, and likely going to be a key player for years to come. The young kid wasn't as mentally tough as the senior, and coach's concern was he'd go into a shell and lose confidence, making him useless over the short term and possibly hurting his development long term. I still think he was wrong, in part because the senior was my roommate, but I now understand the juggling act he was trying to manage. Just for the record, an injury got the senior back on the court to become all conference, and the young kid went on to be an all time top scorer and All American, so I guess coach was both right, and wrong, in his assessment.

And some might point to JD as a clear indicator of team disconnect, but that completely ignores numerous posts in the past, ones long before the drama started, that suggested he was an odd guy, not a leader, and not really anyone who seemed completely invested in the program. He definitely played hard, he may have liked his teammates, heck, some guys may have loved him as a teammate, but did he ever really love the University of Nebraska, it's traditions and history? I really don't think so. I also don't think it's necessary to have that love for the program to be successful, but they are pretty important if things get rocky, and the kid had some rocky times in his career here. So finally getting fed up and bailing out isn't the biggest of stunners. Talented kid, will absolutely be in the record books, but he was never going to be on a Nebraska football version of Mount Rushmore, was he?

We can toss out all the opinions we like, and I'm sure some with gush over them, even myself from time to time, but this suggestion that Frost is making one mistake after another, and that is somehow unique, ignores that all coaches do the exact same thing. The difference in many cases is they have a strong enough structure to deal with it. TO made numerous boneheaded decisions, but he did them because that great big ol' PhD brain of his thought it the best idea under the circumstances. Frost and staff do the exact same thing in trying to evaluate problems and come up with remedies, the difference being is over the last 2 years you've had a hodge podge of players, a younger staff, and you don't have 25 years of excellence to fall back on. If you are old like me you remember some of just the QB turmoil/controversy under Ozzy: Tagge/Van Brownson (as OC), Ferragamo/Luck, Mauer/Gill, Frazier/Berringer, and that doesn't even include some other pretty high profile positions that had the team divided on who they thought should be playing. Plenty of guys were ticked off Rozier moved out Craig, or Hipp was getting more looks than Berns, or Phillips was allowed back on the team, and even a coach with a veteran staff, and a long history of success, you had some division within the team, so let's not pretend it's incredibly unique. The difference is they had a structure built over the years that could handle it, AND kids weren't as quick to think their opinions mattered. Another difference is even if TO's staff didn't agree with his decision, and I guarantee you they all didn't, they weren't regularly whispering it into the ears of guys so they could repeat it. I always felt that staff were masters at getting the right information to the right people so they could help guide the fans in a manner that kept the program looking positive. Frost seems to try to do that a little as well, but the fact that we might have coaches or staff speaking out in ways that could be damaging tells me we have might have some folks that need to find another place to work. The one guy I remember second guessing TO publicly was TO, and he was usually pretty honest in why he made a decision, right or wrong. Let's try to remember that when we want to Monday Morning QB every move the coach makes.

Last edited:

To be fair, Walters had a pretty good resume as well. But I think Lubick knowing exactly what Frost wants since they worked together for a long time will make a huge difference. If not, then maybe we're recruiting the wrong WRs. :)
Ya I think some coaches are great some places then just can’t get it done in other spots. No idea why Walters wasn’t resonating with the guys here and his head coach, but water under the bridge now.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back