• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Frost: AM maybe on cruise-control in year 2...

What I think all of this tells me (reinforces actually), is that Frost is going to need every bit of the original contract plus the extension... in order to get things where they need to be. As we have witnessed, this program was a dumpster fire and these coaches are still in a major learning curve imo.

What I think all of this tells me (reinforces actually), is that Frost is going to need every bit of the original contract plus the extension... in order to get things where they need to be. As we have witnessed, this program was a dumpster fire and these coaches are still in a major learning curve imo.
I think that’s about the fairest assessment I’ve heard of the state of the program.

When did Frost know it and what measures did he take if any?
I wonder if there was anyone on the coaching staff that could have changed his practice habits? :thumbsup: ;)
My question as well. This is not comforting. AM has been there long enough to know there is no cruise control at NU.
This is just another example of why I would really get frustrated when people would talk about how large of a hill our new staff has/had to climb due to what they inherited. Adrian Martinez was brought in by Frost, and was made a Freshman All-American, but we all saw what happened last year in the 2019 season. Now, "preparation" probably needs some context, but I can tell you it wasn't just film watching, just weight room, just diet, etc. And our preseason Heisman Watch List QB regressed in year 2 for something that was tolerated. I made a lot of comments about many of the things happening having nothing to do with Riley or his guys, and it at one point was met with someone stating that this staff "stole my girlfriend".

You are either coaching or allowing it to happen. Some things were allowed to happen, and that's why there was some lockeroom divide and our best WR is in the transfer portal. Accountability is up this spring (as best it can be with the pandemic), I like where we are going. 6 wins despite what our AD says would be a major failure, because I think we are ready to get to at least 7. I like what i'm hearing out of Lincoln right now.

This is just another example of why I would really get frustrated when people would talk about how large of a hill our new staff has/had to climb due to what they inherited. Adrian Martinez was brought in by Frost, and was made a Freshman All-American, but we all saw what happened last year in the 2019 season. Now, "preparation" probably needs some context, but I can tell you it wasn't just film watching, just weight room, just diet, etc. And our preseason Heisman Watch List QB regressed in year 2 for something that was tolerated. I made a lot of comments about many of the things happening having nothing to do with Riley or his guys, and it at one point was met with someone stating that this staff "stole my girlfriend".

You are either coaching or allowing it to happen. Some things were allowed to happen, and that's why there was some lockeroom divide and our best WR is in the transfer portal. Accountability is up this spring (as best it can be with the pandemic), I like where we are going. 6 wins despite what our AD says would be a major failure, because I think we are ready to get to at least 7. I like what i'm hearing out of Lincoln right now.
I agree totally.

I don’t think anyone can doubt what a dumpster fire Frost inherited, but this staff has had its share of gaffes too.

Given how much Kool-Aid I’ve gulped for years now, I now just sip whatever I hear coming out of Lincoln.

It is past time for results.

GBR

AM has the potential but I don't think he has had a full team. From what I am hearing I believe (if we play this year) he will actually have a full team. IMO (and you are much more well versed than I could hope to be) the OL the past 2 years has not been able to give the offense options to run or time to let pass plays develop. It is asking any QB too much to make every play happen. Play starts in the trenches. Are you as optimistic about the development of our OL play this year and how it might help AM?

I will hang up now and listen...;)

Pal NU has been on cruise control since 2002
I agree totally.

I don’t think anyone can doubt what a dumpster fire Frost inherited, but this staff has had its share of gaffes too.

Given how much Kool-Aid I’ve gulped for years now, I now just sip whatever I hear coming out of Lincoln.

It is past time for results.

GBR
Inherited a not good situation. I just struggle with how bad it really was, considering we had second half leads against Purdue, Indiana, and Colorado in 2019 and lost all 3 to teams with lesser talent, first year coach, 3rd string QB, etc. Win just two of those and you are bowling, 7-5, and the feel is much better.

Much better thing coming out of Lincoln this spring. I like it.

AM has the potential but I don't think he has had a full team. From what I am hearing I believe (if we play this year) he will actually have a full team. IMO (and you are much more well versed than I could hope to be) the OL the past 2 years has not been able to give the offense options to run or time to let pass plays develop. It is asking any QB too much to make every play happen. Play starts in the trenches. Are you as optimistic about the development of our OL play this year and how it might help AM?

I will hang up now and listen...;)
Well, there's a lot in your post...

Our OL at the end of 2018 looked outstanding, but we regressed replacing two starters and looked pretty bad in 2019 at the beginning. Last year I think they improved just like they did in 2018, but why the regression? Pretty easy on the surface to point to 2 starters lost and a center playing that had literally never done it before. But when you dig down deeper, it was more about what we were running as well. Austin was not pleased with the east/west running situation as our line was not built for that, Jaimes, Farniok, Wilson are all north/south guys. When Washington would bounce outside no matter what, and then Martinez would pull and throw despite there being a lane (remember Frost mouthing "run the ball" to him that one game). So between calls to go to the sideline, then when we did have north/south calls us not making that decision, it got away from us a bit.

But to your point, we had zero WRs last year besides JD, line struggled right away, snaps were inconsistent, kicked our most talented RB off the team, and had communication issues with the offensive coordinator getting the play down in a timely manner. We are in a much better spot this year. The thing that will be tough is you have one proven RB, and then Wandale at WR. We have a ton of incoming talent at WR, but we said that before entering 2019. In fact, you can go back and find quotes on twitter and message boards about guys like Houston, Nance, and Chase earning significant playing time. Now, Manning and Betts are even better than our 2019 class, but I always hesitate to get excited based on who we brought in for a recruiting class.

I think your main question was about the OL and i'm extremely optimistic there. The bottom line is we return all 5 starters, so we could go with the same group and get at least a little improvement which would be great based on how they were playing towards the end of the year and with Austin developing the run game plan for 2020. But I think they know our best line is with Farniok at guard, so despite us not starting the same 5, we could be leaps and bounds better.

OL will be good this year. We need to find consistency at WR and our offense could be pretty potent.

Well, when the HC calls a player out for being lax in his preparation...folks tend to think it's a big deal. I can't recall TO ever doing it, but perhaps he did.
In one case, TO promoted a sophomore over some upperclassmen, saying he had been working real hard in practice and deserved a chance on the field.

I had a chance to talk to the player's Mom right after the announcement. Mom said her son said the promotion had more to do with lighting a fire under the upperclassmen, who had been taking it easy way too much in practice.

Tom could be more diplomatic, something Scott still needs to learn (my opinion).

We have a ton of incoming talent at WR, but we said that before entering 2019. In fact, you can go back and find quotes on twitter and message boards about guys like Houston, Nance, and Chase earning significant playing time. Now, Manning and Betts are even better than our 2019 class, but I always hesitate to get excited based on who we brought in for a recruiting class.
I still wonder what Nance, Houston, etc we’re doing such that they couldn’t see the field last year. What was Noa doing that was better?
Does our offense have certain WR reads? Meaning if he sees a certain DB alignment that automatically means he runs a slant And the QB doesn’t call it, but trusts the WR to do it?

I still wonder what Nance, Houston, etc we’re doing such that they couldn’t see the field last year. What was Noa doing that was better?
Does our offense have certain WR reads? Meaning if he sees a certain DB alignment that automatically means he runs a slant And the QB doesn’t call it, but trusts the WR to do it?

There isn’t a modern P5 offense that doesn’t require WRs to read the defense pre-snap. Route trees will be dependent on the defense much of the time. So yes, comprehending the offense and being able to read DBs and LBs is critical to earning playing time at WR.

Last edited:

Well, there's a lot in your post...

Our OL at the end of 2018 looked outstanding, but we regressed replacing two starters and looked pretty bad in 2019 at the beginning. Last year I think they improved just like they did in 2018, but why the regression? Pretty easy on the surface to point to 2 starters lost and a center playing that had literally never done it before. But when you dig down deeper, it was more about what we were running as well. Austin was not pleased with the east/west running situation as our line was not built for that, Jaimes, Farniok, Wilson are all north/south guys. When Washington would bounce outside no matter what, and then Martinez would pull and throw despite there being a lane (remember Frost mouthing "run the ball" to him that one game). So between calls to go to the sideline, then when we did have north/south calls us not making that decision, it got away from us a bit.

But to your point, we had zero WRs last year besides JD, line struggled right away, snaps were inconsistent, kicked our most talented RB off the team, and had communication issues with the offensive coordinator getting the play down in a timely manner. We are in a much better spot this year. The thing that will be tough is you have one proven RB, and then Wandale at WR. We have a ton of incoming talent at WR, but we said that before entering 2019. In fact, you can go back and find quotes on twitter and message boards about guys like Houston, Nance, and Chase earning significant playing time. Now, Manning and Betts are even better than our 2019 class, but I always hesitate to get excited based on who we brought in for a recruiting class.

I think your main question was about the OL and i'm extremely optimistic there. The bottom line is we return all 5 starters, so we could go with the same group and get at least a little improvement which would be great based on how they were playing towards the end of the year and with Austin developing the run game plan for 2020. But I think they know our best line is with Farniok at guard, so despite us not starting the same 5, we could be leaps and bounds better.

OL will be good this year. We need to find consistency at WR and our offense could be pretty potent.
Loved this assessment, just wanted to add we didn’t realize how Morgan helped, losing that deep threat, let teams play tighter. Which is one reason I’m optimistic about Manning and Bets they have that potential to fill that more than the recruits we haves last year, and I love Warner, but he shouldn’t be starting for a team that expects to win a lot of games, is a nice complimentary piece/ rotational player.

Last edited:
Damn you guys take a sentence and dissect the snot out of it. Reminds me of the crap I see on social media and big media these days.

Exactly, lots of jumping to conclusions. Some of you guys hear that one sentence and you have visions of AM sitting on his helmet every day in practice.

If I was to guess, and this is only speculation on my part, he means he needs to focus more on the little things and work at being sharp all the time.

That's a little of what I was talking about in regard to being tough to see the field right away. One of the reasons Warner was a "safety blanket" was because Martinez and him were on the same page with what they would see from the defense. So he knew where he was going to be. With younger guys, sometimes they can get fooled easier. Nice to be the QBs roommate.

For example, one of our RPOs if our twins set sees Cover 3, the outside WR runs a fade to run the corner off and the slot WR runs a quick out so the LB can't get to him. If you don't dissect that quickly (especially when we want to snap fast) you can look out of place in a hurry. That had to be a bit of what was going on with them seeing the field, and it's a bit why I hesitate on Manning and Betts despite their talents.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back