• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

For Supporters and Trust of Matt Rhule.

Minny longest run, 11 yards, next their qb had a 9 yarder, their other rb, just 4.
They had 55 yards rushing. These are improvements.
Minny the last two years threw 20 times a game, they threw 44 this game.
They gained 30 more yards than their last two years average when they only averaged 20 attempts per game. Minny supposedly has their best WR corp in the Fleck Era, he's said AK may be pro worthy.

Get that run game feeling better against the bluffs

Michigan, Ohio State, USC, and Cincinnati in year three plus the usual one score losses to middle tier Big 10 teams. Not looking like eight wins. But, that’s two years down the road. I want to know how HCMR is going to top this opener. It’s going to be hard to craft a more gut wrenching choked filled loss but I have faith DONU will keep the fan base reaching for the Pepto Bismol all season long,
Maybe he tops it with a blowout loss to Deion next week. I don’t know anything about those teams coming to Lincoln week 3 and 4 but I doubt we can overlook anyone.

I agree that this game gave HCMR and the staff a good look at what they have in a real game with live bullets… a baseline to improve upon.

Like many past games, many of last night’s setbacks are things that are within our control.. unforced errors if you will.

The next game(s) will be a test to see if HCMR can improve the team’s discipline and attention to detail… to reduce/eliminate the self inflicted wounds.

I have faith that he’ll do better than previous coaches.

Someone said it well in another thread and I paraphrase… you can’t put a dumpster fire out with just one bucket of water.

GBR!

Last edited:
His team folded when it counted.
But he didn't, the staff didn't, the lines didn't. If we have to, put it all on two guys. That's fine. Creative calls, gained yards, helped or directly scored points.
Freshmen D linemen making plays, we out yard our opponent in their house, brand new staff. The difference, turnovers.
So blame them all you want, but the coaches called a good game

I'm hopng Rhule gets it done here, but I found myself eye-rolling a lot during his post game presser. He's about to find out that Nebraska people have lived tonight's nightmare over and over for the past 10 years. His sense of urgency had better pick up.
Or what?

I think Stryker has it right! :mad: REALLY disappointed. Looks HCR is on track to repeat what he did his first years at Temple and Baylor!

"Right out of the chute, we saw that the Cornhuskers have the same tragic flaw they’ve had since at least 2018— a talented, but erratic, quarterback.

Matt Rhule and Marcus Satterfield obviously have a lot of faith in Jeff Sims and his passing arm, but in a gut-wrenching 13-10 season-opening road loss to the dink-and-dunk Minnesota Gophers, Sims did not reward their confidence in him."

"What Rhule came away with was a detailed, firsthand look at why Nebraska lost so many one-score games under Scott Frost. The Huskers have mastered the art of making killing mistakes at critical times. He acknowledged as much, and seemed quite ready to move on to Colorado. But Rhule — the first Nebraska coach since 1946 to have his first Husker game on the road — certainly did his share to rip this game out of the win column. He was outcoached by P.J. Fleck, who has less talent to work with than does Rhule."

"First, let’s look at the positives. Nebraska’s offensive and defensive lines took a clear step forward, playing the Gopher lines to at least a draw. It could be argued that, starting in the middle of the second quarter, the Huskers had the better of it at the line of scrimmage.
Each defense had three sacks and five tackles for loss. NU played the Gophers almost even in time of possession. The Husker rushing defense held Minnesota to 55 yards on 25 carries, and only 251 total yards. The Gophers’ obviously will not be the running threat they were for the past five years, but that’s still a noteworthy accomplishment, and they averaged fewer than 5 yards per pass attempt. Meanwhile, Nebraska rushed for 181 yards."

"The Huskers were relentless. At times, they were violent. But they were simply not disciplined. Four turnovers and seven penalties — including a targeting call on Ty Robinson that sidelined him for the last quarter and a half — were too much to overcome.

"There has been progress in both the offensive and defensive lines for the Big Red, but the o-line still made too many pre-snap penalties, including an illegal motion penalty by left guard Ethan Piper inside the Minnesota 1 with time running out in the second quarter, a mistake that ripped seven likely points off the board. It was the first of three consecutive bad decisions, first by possibly the Huskers’ most respected offensive lineman, then by Rhule, who passed up the sure field goal and asked his quarterback to make something of a bad situation, then by Sims, who locked in on Isaiah Garcia-Casteneda and threw into double coverage, overlooking a wide open Nate Boerkircher in the end zone."

"Rhule obviously believes in his quarterback’s passing arm and decision-making skills, and he may turn out to be right, but both were sadly lacking Thursday night in Minneapolis. I’m not sure what Rhule and Satterfield see, but right now, I see a physically gifted but confused and tentative 2002 version of Jammal Lord, a great athlete who can’t see the field well enough to make the passing game work, at least not at this stage of his career. Sims lived up to his turnover-prone reputation, producing three interceptions and only one touchdown, which came on the first drive of the second half, on a trick play throwback pass, which almost didn’t happen because Sims muffed the ball before having the presence of mind to pick it up on the second bounce and toss it to a wide-open Alex Bullock in the end zone."

"Rhule made it clear that he sees something different, and he obviously envisions Sims finishing with a much better than a 1-to-1 TD-to-interception ratio. “I have a ton of confidence in Jeff,” he said in his postgame press conference.

Will this coaching staff accomplish something that Frost’s never did — steady, game-by-game player development? Rhule obviously is ready to suck it up and forget the pain of Game 1. Husker Nation would be wise to do the same. It will be easier for everyone if the tragic flaw is addressed, and soon."

I think Haarberg should be given the start against CU. He can't do much worse than Sims. Sims just showed us he is not ready so let see if Haarberg is!

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back