• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Florida Governor signs NIL Law

This isn’t just paid endorsements....

Remember a few years ago when the UCF kicker was told he couldn’t make money on his YouTube channel? It’s absolutely ridiculous that these rules exist - the NCAA has no problem making money off student athletes, but the second they do it, huge no no.

The ncaa doesn't make profit. All the money raised by the NCAA goes to cover their costs and paid out to individual schools. The schools also use the money to pay expenses and the cost of many other sports

Question.

If a student athlete is able to monetize their time playing at the university should they still get a scholarship?

Question.

If a student athlete is able to monetize their time playing at the university should they still get a scholarship?
This is always where I have been with this whole discussion. Put it on the players. If they feel they can make more money than the value of their scholarship, then they give up that money and go for it.

Question.

Yes, of course they should still get the scholarship.

Edit to add: If you don't give them the scholarship, why would they come to your school in the first place? Power 5 schools make avalanches of money off the efforts of college football players. If anything, scholarship limits should be increased at this level (but probably can't be due to Title IX constraints). The opportunity for a no-debt college degree for the core of the team would seem to be the least they should do considering the return these businesses (a.k.a., athletic departments) are realizing.

Last edited:

Yes, of course they should still get the scholarship.

They get the scholarship because they are considered amateur athletes. If they are getting paid based on their performance on the field and marketability off are they still amateur athletes?

They get the scholarship because they are considered amateur athletes. If they are getting paid based on their performance on the field and marketability off are they still amateur athletes?
I disagree. The concept of amateurism in sports has long been decimated, with the Olympics allowing professional and sponsored athletes to compete, with the NCAA allowing someone playing professionally in one sport to compete at the college level in other sports, etc. To the bolded, this is NOT how I understand NIL is going to work. Billy Bob Buckeye isn't going to be paid $100 per helmet sticker by the university, but it may help make his Instagram post worth a dime instead of a penny.

This isn’t just paid endorsements....

Remember a few years ago when the UCF kicker was told he couldn’t make money on his YouTube channel? It’s absolutely ridiculous that these rules exist - the NCAA has no problem making money off student athletes, but the second they do it, huge no no.

Exactly. You can't really draw arbitrary lines around this stuff anymore. It's either 100% YES or 100% NO.

For example, let's say Adrian Martinez got a summer job flipping burgers at a Runza. Once the word gets out, how many Husker fans do you think would show up to buy Runzas? Of course that lines the pocket of the restaurant owner, but take it a step further. What if Wan'Dale got a job selling furniture at Nebraska Furniture Mart? Do you think he'd earn some fatty commission checks from people who just bought a sofa because it was from Wan'Dale?

This is where the gray area piece comes in. The NCAA said the UCF kicker couldn't monetize his YouTube channel, but why not? Most kids making money off things like YouTube or Instagram make less than $100/mo. It's usually something to the tune of $1 per 1,000 views, so you take someone with 50,000 followers and they're making a grand sum of $50. There are a select few who make tons of cash, but most content creators and influencers do it for the love of the subject matter, not just because they're trying to get rich quick.

So what's more egregious? A scholarship player making $100-200 off his social media accounts, or a scholarship player making $500-1000/mo working part time for minimum wage?

I was thinking about your question too ... if a player can monetize name, image & likeness, how much value is on the university logo / label they are wearing. When you start getting into 6 & 7 figures for a player, then I am wondering about discounts on scholarship costs. Lots of unintended consequences...

I was thinking about your question too ... if a player can monetize name, image & likeness, how much value is on the university logo / label they are wearing. When you start getting into 6 & 7 figures for a player, then I am wondering about discounts on scholarship costs. Lots of unintended consequences...
The athlete will not be allowed to use the university logo in their NIL arrangements. From an yahoo article...

Specifically, trademarks or logos associated with universities or conferences would not be permitted in commercial NIL opportunities for college athletes. However, athletes would be allowed to “identify themselves as a team member or student” of their specific university or conference.

https://sports.yahoo.com/heres-how-...n-for-ncaa-athletes-could-work-233454841.html

This is a pretty good article and addresses many of the concerns posted here, at least as the framework for the process was proposed.

If they don’t play will they be paid? I think it is a bad deal for college sports.Jmo. I truly don’t care how they do it, I just want to see Husker football again.

Owning your likeness means that if a player wants to go give a paid speech they can. Or they can make money by streaming on twitch. Or get money from a sponsor for promoting their product on social media. Whether or how much they play isn't important to owning their likeness. Or if they want to make money by creating an app they can.

Another good example is that they can sell their likeness to a video game or sign it away for free just to see themselves in the game!

If Bob's Car Dealership wants to pay a OL to do a commercial for him I see no problem with it.

Owning your likeness means that if a player wants to go give a paid speech they can. Or they can make money by streaming on twitch. Or get money from a sponsor for promoting their product on social media. Whether or how much they play isn't important to owning their likeness. Or if they want to make money by creating an app they can.

Another good example is that they can sell their likeness to a video game or sign it away for free just to see themselves in the game!

If Bob's Car Dealership wants to pay a OL to do a commercial for him I see no problem with it.
Appreciate the response.Well thought out and put in words. I do believe that this will not benefit college sports.Again,how they do it is over my pay grade. I just hope that with this coronavirus,they can get the season in safely for the players.Thank you again.Keep the faith.GBR.

Dang, Florida has an advantage on state income tax. Texas and Washington also if/when they come online with NIL.

We might start losing walkon players to USD and SDSU to the north.
If they have internet in Wyoming, maybe to the west as well.

Only partially joking his day and age.

That could really hurt the B1G.

The B1G has a huge tv revenue from its network. I bet their is someway you can find to use a players likeness and funnel big wads of cash his way. Be a great way to bump recruiting and the network has a huge revenue that would just get bigger if we could pull some big name talent away from the $EC

They need to pay for education like all other students
This is the only thing that makes sense to me. If a player makes more than the cost of education then they shouldn't get a scholarship. They are making money off the university by being a part of the team. College sports as we know is done. I will have to wait to see what it becomes and then decide if it's worth paying a donation to go to a game.

This is the only thing that makes sense to me. If a player makes more than the cost of education then they shouldn't get a scholarship. They are making money off the university by being a part of the team. College sports as we know is done. I will have to wait to see what it becomes and then decide if it's worth paying a donation to go to a game.
Unless this was an NCAA wide rule, players that meet that criteria and lose their schollies will be in the transfer portal so fast it would make your head spin.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back