• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Federation of Fellow Fly-Fishing Football Fanatics

I'm heading up to the High Sierras in northern California to chase the elusive golden trout in 2 weeks! Looking forward to a nice little weekend getaway.

We had one high mountain lake in Colorado that had them stocked in the 60’s. Beautiful fish and the lake was a 12 mile hike before road construction changed that. Nobody there. We did get snowed on in late August though.

20190803_180308.jpg

Caught these brookies in the Big Horns over the weekend.

I can't believe what happened to me last weekend chasing the native golden trout here in California. Drove up to the Sierras up by Army Pass and camped out for the weekend. My car charger broke, so had no access to a phone. ( that was one of the benefits of the trip.) The down side, I did not bring my other camera, so I didn't get any pics of our trip. we did however manage to hike up to the lakes at 13,000 ft and just slayed the native goldens. All C&R, and you could have caught them all day long. We wetherell for 1/2 of the day and both landed more b.c. tha 2 dozen fish each. Native Goldens are truly some of the most beautiful fish! I have a few pics of some of the smaller fish we caught out of the creek on our way up to the lakes, but ran out of battery shortly after.

The only thing I can think of is an ant. It works around home too.
Yeah, I've thought that, too. There have been people who have studied what feeding trout will take to see if they're truly locked into one specific insect hatch or not, and the two things that almost no feeding trout would ever let go by were a live leech and a live ant. The first explains the success of a Woolly Bugger, and the second probably explains a lot of success for black flies that people use to imitate other things.

Yeah, I've thought that, too. There have been people who have studied what feeding trout will take to see if they're truly locked into one specific insect hatch or not, and the two things that almost no feeding trout would ever let go by were a live leech and a live ant. The first explains the success of a Woolly Bugger, and the second probably explains a lot of success for black flies that people use to imitate other things.

That makes a ton of sense. I've always had success with both. Especially in lakes.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back