• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Federation of Fellow Fly-Fishing Football Fanatics

My co-worker / fishing buddy watches him and constantly tells me I need to. Problem is I have 2 young boys in the house, and all my spare time is spent on HM.

Three dogs, two sons and a wife who retired in May and saves all her words for when I come home........and HM.

a wife who retired in May and saves all her words for when I come home
That's a terrifying thing to come home to. With our first two children, my wife stayed home for the first year with each while I was teaching classes that were very heavily weighted with lectures. By the end of the day, I had no words left, and my wife would have spent all day with a non-verbal baby. The door hadn't even closed behind me, and she spouted a thousand words in my general direction.

Here's the results from today:

IMG_1969 (2).JPG

I also caught a wild brown that was almost the same size, but I let him go.

For the record, that picture is deceiving. I had a Conehead Woolly Bugger on when I took the picture, but I caught every trout on either a piece of night crawler or Power Bait. I was fishing East Verdigre Creek, and I wanted to bring some stockers home for a meal, and there are times when I can only catch the wild browns on flies, not the dumb hatchery fish.

Last edited:
Morning Folks. I was a member on here many years ago, and I just jumped back in on Max's free offer. Thought I'd get into this thread. I moved to northern New Mexico several years ago, but only got into fly fishing last summer. So far I've only really done tiny mountain stream fishing, plus a day or two on still water. The mountains are pretty snowy still, but I'm looking forward to starting back up soon!
IMG_1596 (2)-2mp.jpeg
IMG_1600_2mp.jpeg
IMG_1713_2mp.jpeg
IMG_1719_2mp.jpeg

Morning Folks. I was a member on here many years ago, and I just jumped back in on Max's free offer. Thought I'd get into this thread. I moved to northern New Mexico several years ago, but only got into fly fishing last summer. So far I've only really done tiny mountain stream fishing, plus a day or two on still water. The mountains are pretty snowy still, but I'm looking forward to starting back up soon!
View attachment 40712View attachment 40713View attachment 40714View attachment 40715
Orvis Clearwater rod?

View attachment 40712View attachment 40713View attachment 40714View attachment 40715
That's my favorite kind of fishing of any kind, but especially fly fishing. I like variety, but if I could only ever fish small mountain streams for the rest of my life for wild trout, I could live with that.

I have been fly-fishing since Midway through my college years. It's exciting and soothing even when the luck is poor. I have been blessed to be able to fish the blue ribbon trout waters along tri-state area of Idaho, Utah and Wyoming. As well as the San Juan river in New Mexico.

My favorite was the Teton River in Idaho. There is a three mile stretch of river that is or was amazing. One such trip happened to coincide with the Stonefly hatch. Every cast was at least a strike if not a catch. To this day it is my favorite memory fishing- no one around as far as the eyes could see, light breeze and warm temperatures. If anyone has ever had the luck of trout fishing during the Stonefly hatch would know what it was like.

I still get out and flyfish small streams, mountain lakes and have learned to flyfish from my kayak on lakes. My gear is cheaper than most and all my flies are tied by myself. I am in no way a great fisherman or talented at tying flies. Some of my patterns are self made and work for me. My favorite fly over the last few years is the mosquito. I also like pheasant tails, gold ribbed hare's ear, WD40 and royal coachman.

Unfortunately, living in Wyoming there is a short fishing season for mountains and lakes. This year I may be lucky enough to spend more time camping around the high mountain streams and lakes- thanks to COVID19. Hope you all get to experience the beauty and solace of the mountains.

Last edited:
I have been fly-fishing since Midway through my college years. It's exciting and soothing even when the luck is poor. I have been blessed to be able to fish the blue ribbon trout waters along tri-state area of Idaho, Utah and Wyoming. As well as the San Juan river in New Mexico.

My favorite was the Teton River in Idaho. There is a three mile stretch of river that is or was amazing. One such trip happened to coincide with the Stonefly hatch. Every cast was at least a strike if not a catch. To this day it is my favorite memory fishing- no one around as far as the eyes could see, light breeze and warm temperatures. If anyone has ever had the luck of trout fishing during the Stonefly hatch would know what it was like.

I still get out and flyfish small streams, mountain lakes and have learned to flyfish from my kayak on lakes. My gear is cheaper than most and all my flies are tied by myself. I am in no way a great fisherman or talented at tying flies. Some of my patterns are self made and work for me. My favorite fly over the last few years is the mosquito. I also like pheasant tails, gold ribbed hare's ear, WD40 and royal coachman.

Unfortunately, living in Wyoming there is a short fishing season for mountains and lakes. This year I may be lucky enough to spend more time camping around the high mountain streams and lakes- thanks to COVID19. Hope you all get to experience the beauty and solace of the mountains.

I caught more trout in Colorado and Wyoming on a #14 gold ribbed hares ear than maybe all the other patterns combined. Also fond of the pheasant tail nymph. Like you, I tie all my own.

One of my favorite memories is actually on a river in your home state. The Madison. The water was right. The weather was right and I couldn't make a bad cast. Awesome day.

I caught more trout in Colorado and Wyoming on a #14 gold ribbed hares ear than maybe all the other patterns combined. Also fond of the pheasant tail nymph. Like you, I tie all my own.

One of my favorite memories is actually on a river in your home state. The Madison. The water was right. The weather was right and I couldn't make a bad cast. Awesome day.
About as aesthetically pleasing an area as there is in the world. I admit I haven't fished that particular water much. However, the last time I was fishing there I was next to a bull elk- about 10 yards away- just feeding on the vegetation on the bank, very interesting day.

About as aesthetically pleasing an area as there is in the world. I admit I haven't fished that particular water much. However, the last time I was fishing there I was next to a bull elk- about 10 yards away- just feeding on the vegetation on the bank, very interesting day.

Northwest Wyoming and Western Montana are my favorite places in the country. I thought long and hard about taking a job outside of Greybull. Cousin had a cabin on some property not 20 minutes from town and the hunting and fishing within an hour of that place was unreal. Then I met Mrs Crab.

Northwest Wyoming and Western Montana are my favorite places in the country. I thought long and hard about taking a job outside of Greybull. Cousin had a cabin on some property not 20 minutes from town and the hunting and fishing within an hour of that place was unreal. Then I met Mrs Crab.
Yeah, funny how that happens. Mrs fly reduced the fly-fishing to flywork around the home and taking care of the larvae. I get out when I can and have some experience in the North Platte but it's nothing like the western side of Wyoming. Still trying for the grand slam for cutthroat..

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back