• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Federation of Fellow Fly-Fishing Football Fanatics

I moved to Bend, Oregon

I have friends who live in that area, and they have often told me that we need to visit so that I can go fly fishing. (They secretly just like chatting with my wife, and I'm an add-on. ;) )I haven't yet. I don't know why.

Last edited:
Let me know what you find out.

Just a tip that you may already have considered: I recommend tying colors to specific adhesives if you're testing what works. I can't tell you how many times I've tied up a batch of flies to test something out, but then I couldn't remember which one had which amount of lead wraps or which brand of hooks or had used which adhesive or whatever it was that I was testing. I thought that I'd remember based on thread color used for the fly or something similar, but I'd almost always forget. Now, if I want to test them, I make all of the white ones one way, all of the brown ones another way, etc., and I write it down at my fly tying desk. It's a lot easier to remember something like "the olive flies were best" when I'm back at my fly tying desk, and then I can look up what I used in those.

I actually keep a little notebook with the 'test' patterns, etc. and notes about performance, durability. I have (had) five or six little bound pocket sized notebooks I'd used for that since I started fishing and expanded it to tying. The good (or bad) thing is that I have so few patterns left from my heavy tying days, they're all new.

I have friends who live in that area, and they have often told me that we need to visit so that I can go fly fishing. (They secretly just like chatting with my wife, and I'm an add-on. ;) )I haven't yet. I don't know why.
It is a great mountain/river/high desert town for all outdoor activities.

Nicer people than Aspen and way better fishing, food and beer.

Less remote than Jackson Hole and a better food, beer and music scene. Bend's fishing is more diverse, but WY (& MT) has some great inland rivers and streams.

Yet, Bend is two hours or less from some prime steelhead runs, most notably in the lower Deschutes & and Upper Northern Umpqua.

They say a 40" native steelhead on a fly rod is more addictive than crack and we all know "cocaine is a helluva drug!"

I actually keep a little notebook with the 'test' patterns, etc. and notes about performance, durability. I have (had) five or six little bound pocket sized notebooks I'd used for that since I started fishing and expanded it to tying. The good (or bad) thing is that I have so few patterns left from my heavy tying days, they're all new.
That's just awesome. We can be friends.

Close on the first one, by the same author, I believe?

"Streamer Fly Tying and Fishing"

Joseph D. Bates, Jr., 1st Edition 1966
I have not read that one, and I don't know that I've ever seen it. As for my two guesses, there just weren't a lot of streamer books before those two that anyone would say, "It's the only fly tying book that I have."

Since I am already 49 I guess that does make me older

I'll be 49 on Sunday, so when I said, "I'm about to turn 49," that's what I meant.

Just an idea because it looks like I'm going to be trapped at home for the near future: would any of you guys be interested in a fly swap? I'd organize it if there's any interest. I have enough flies for an army's lifetime, but I think it would be a better, more interesting use of time if you picked flies to trade, and I tied them now.

Any interest? If you don't tie flies, we can figure out some other way to include your slacker, free-loading selves. ;)

Just an idea because it looks like I'm going to be trapped at home for the near future: would any of you guys be interested in a fly swap? I'd organize it if there's any interest. I have enough flies for an army's lifetime, but I think it would be a better, more interesting use of time if you picked flies to trade, and I tied them now.

Any interest? If you don't tie flies, we can figure out some other way to include your slacker, free-loading selves. ;)

I'd fall into that last category :Banana:

Guides or not, the White, San Juan and Missouri are pretty impressive rivers to list for your ONLY THREE TRIPS!!!

I bet I'd fished with a fly rod 300 times before I'd fished anywhere but the Arkansas, Blue or Eagle Rivers in Colorado. All slightly different in fundamental ways that made me learn something about the sport, the fish and their food.

I love Montana and Wyoming myself. I've never fished Idaho, but have heard great things. Been really lucky to have fished a lot of water outside of my primary three states. The Kamloops in BC and some creeks and ponds in Alaska, the Letort in Pennsylvania, Davidson in NC, but despite all of travels I bet I still have 30+ states I've never fished in. Impressive feat.

The North Mills outside of Asheville was my go to when I was in college (much to the chagrin of my GPA). I haven't fished there in 20 years and I'm curious how much has changed since that whole area of south Asheville by the airport has really blown up in the last 5 years.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back