• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Fan Expectations - some more reasonable choices (minimums)

What are your expectations?

• 9 wins/year...nothing else

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greatest Fan of All

The Legend
10 Year Member
What are your expectations? IMO, these summarize the bulk of what I hear on this board.

• 9 wins/year...nothing else
  • 9 wins/year plus winning the BIG 1 of 5 years (20%)...nothing else
  • 9 wins/year, winning the BIG (20%), plus Top Ten finish (50%)
  • 9 wins/year, winning the BIG (20%), Top Ten finish (50%), plus NC 5% (1 in 20 years)

These are MINIMUM

What are your expectations? IMO, these summarize the bulk of what I hear on this board.

• I could live with 8-5 sometimes. Win totals aren't my most important consideration. I'm more interested in playing well consistently and showing consistent improvement to where, when the players and/or schedule line up right, we can make a run.
  • Winning a Conference Championship 20% of the time seems unrealistic since we haven't won one for 14 years and don't appear to be close this year considering we don't play defense.
  • We haven't finished in the top-10 since 2001. I'd be happy with a bowl win and a single top-15 finish.
  • 1 in 20 years NC seems fair, but I'm not sure how you make that a reasonable expectation when those 20 years will most likely have multiple coaches.

All of those minimums seem too high to me from where we are now and have been for more than a decade.

Much better choices. Thank you GFOA. I picked the last one. I look at it another way also. Look at the trailing 3 years. Throw out the worst finish. The average of the two better years should be at least either (1) a CC, or (2) a top 13 finish. In addition, there should be an occasional at least mid top 10 finish or some other reason to believe the coach is capable of stepping up to compete for and even win an MNC in the future. That's a minimum to keep the job. Any coach who keeps it should be able to step up from there. And I give a new coach 7 years to hit the initial top 13 finish and then stay there on the moving average basis described. Bo's early 13 finish was nice. But we wandered into the wilderness. He needs to get us back there fast.

People who accept continued mediocrity should be complaining about how much Bo is paid. He is way over paid if that's all we expect of him. In fact, Nebraska spends way too much on its football program if we don't expect excellence. And Nebraskans generally should get a life and find something more important to do on Saturdays, if 8-4 and unranked is good enough. Really people. Move to South Dakota.

I voted #4, the last choice, although I'd say win the B1G 25% instead of 20%. I'd also like 10% NC, and by that I mean VICTORIES, not just appearances.

Last edited:

I'm getting tired of these types of poles.. and also the "who's next coach" poles and threads...... Isn't it more important for the kids to get an education than it is to play a game???:... Our team is NOT in the dumps. You would think we have gone 7-7 or worse the past few years according to some people around here. Lets enjoy football and Be there for our team every week, win or lose.

Last edited:
I'm getting tired of these types of poles.. and also the "who's next coach" poles and threads...... Isn't it more important for the kids to get an education than it is to play a game???:... Our team is NOT in the dumps. You would think we have gone 7-7 or worse the past few years according to some people around here. Lets enjoy football and Be there for our team every week, win or lose.

I'd take a look at the trajectory nd what has been done to address the D and program momentum.

We saw poor defensive performances in a handful of games last year. We have seen only ONE passable defensive performance in 4 games this season. CFB has seen Bo and right now is chewing him up. He needs to get the personnel fixed, the scheme fixed, or both. When is the last time we played 60 minutes of GOOD effort football???

Bo has to take the easy stuff. Get your best players off the sidelines. Fix effort now. Multiple mistakes by a player mean less playing time.

my expectations for you GFOA is at least 9 good posts a year. You better get busy or I might have to buy out the remainder of your contract.

• I could live with 8-5 sometimes. Win totals aren't my most important consideration. I'm more interested in playing well consistently and showing consistent improvement to where, when the players and/or schedule line up right, we can make a run.
  • Scary...Bo has you ready to accept 8 wins? Eek, things are worse than I thought.

Winning a Conference Championship 20% of the time seems unrealistic since we haven't won one for 14 years and don't appear to be close this year considering we don't play defense.
    Conditioned to accept the results of mediocre to poor coaching...there are many that are with you, but good coaching will change EVERYTHING quickly.

• We haven't finished in the top-10 since 2001. I'd be happy with a bowl win and a single top-15 finish.
    More conditioning...let's not think about what would please us THIS year, think about how it can be with a great coach.

1 in 20 years NC seems fair, but I'm not sure how you make that a reasonable expectation when those 20 years will most likely have multiple coaches.
It is not a coaching goal, it is a program goal.

All of those minimums seem too high to me from where we are now and have been for more than a decade.
With Bo, they are WAY TOO HIGH (except the 9 wins)...I appreciate your concern, but you must think outside the current box/jail.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Back