• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Falck and Liewer put on Scholarship

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get giving a left over scholarship to a senior on his last year.

Do not get giving it a walk on sophomore that is already here. Talks needing to upgrade talent, then gives a scholarship to a guy that is already around the QB. Is the talent here or not?
Liewer could just be a one year scholarship, they didn’t announce any details. It’s happened before.

On the surface appears that way...let's see how the departing statesmen perform the next 4 years and how much the walk-ons perform. Heck, Liewer has already scored more college TD's then the entire Omaha crew who want to see America.
Current walk-on Oliver Martin still on roster....we'd have salivated signing him out of high school.
But performance is not really relevant. He's already here. Why burn a scholarship if you need to upgrade talent?

If we've got plenty of talent, I get it. But, OC says we need to upgrade talent and burns a schollie on a guy already here.

Do not get giving it a walk on sophomore that is already here. Talks needing to upgrade talent, then gives a scholarship to a guy that is already around the QB. Is the talent here or not?
Is that not the carrot to get descent walk ons? You tell them if you perform well enough the play significantly, you earn a scholarship. It seems you're disrespecting the talent of this walk on that earned a scholarship

Is that not the carrot to get descent walk ons? You tell them if you perform well enough the play significantly, you earn a scholarship. It seems you're disrespecting the talent of this walk on that earned a scholarship
I'm not disrespecting anything.

1) Do Ohio State or Wisconsin care about getting "decent walk ons?" No.

They give their scholarships to scholarship caliber athletes.

2) The point is that it is a waste of resources. If Liewer doesn't get a scholarship, is he going to leave? No. So, use the resource to get a new player, that the staff considers an upgrade in talent, in here.

We always give a couple of walk on kids schollies! I think you will be very happy with Toure and Manning. Obviously we haven’t seen them play but they’re both built like NFL dudes. I just think we have the horses finally.

We always give a couple of walk on kids schollies! I think you will be very happy with Toure and Manning. Obviously we haven’t seen them play but they’re both built like NFL dudes. I just think we have the horses finally.
Agree. No problem giving schollie's to seniors when the schollie is just sitting around. Tying one up for 3 years is the thing I would not do.

I'll be happy with any receiver that stays here and makes plays. Can we agree that a successful receiver has at least 50 catches in a season?

2) The point is that it is a waste of resources. If Liewer doesn't get a scholarship, is he going to leave? No. So, use the resource to get a new player, that the staff considers an upgrade in talent, in here.
Basil says he's not disrespecting walk ons. Then proceeds to say ohio state and Wisconsin give scholarships to scholarship caliber athletes, inferring walk ons that earn scholarships aren't worthy.

Good luck squaring that.

Then you ask, if the walk 8n doesn't get the scholarship, is he going to leave?
What you seem to be missing is, if the carrot of the scholarship isn't there, is he on campus or at SDSU?

Have you conveniently forgotten all the walk ons that have earned scholarships in the past 60 years?

Last edited:

Can't compare the the demographics that Ohio or even WI has to draw talent compared to Nebraska. We need to encourage EVERY kid that's good enough to walk on as opposed to what OSU does imo. IF the player EARNS a scholarship in the opinion of our coaching staff it's good enough for me. We'll just agree to disagree on how we want our program to operate.

Agree. No problem giving schollie's to seniors when the schollie is just sitting around. Tying one up for 3 years is the thing I would not do.

I'll be happy with any receiver that stays here and makes plays. Can we agree that a successful receiver has at least 50 catches in a season?
If they are a younger guy 35-45 would be good with me. These guys are older and yes need 50 plus yards.

Last edited:
I don't think k either of these guys are walk ons.
Yant would be a could example
I wonder why basil didn't complain about that scholarship

But performance is not really relevant. He's already here. Why burn a scholarship if you need to upgrade talent?

If we've got plenty of talent, I get it. But, OC says we need to upgrade talent and burns a schollie on a guy already here.
Yes, why live up to your promises & reward contributors? A real head-scratcher for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back