• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked ESPN's Early Preseason Top 25 for 2014 Features Four Big Ten Teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not really sure what you are getting at here. My post was to the point that nationally people used to give us the benefit of the doubt that we are going to be relevant and playing top-tier football, like they are doing with Florida...

NEBRASKA PRESEASON RANKING:
2010: 8
2011: 10
2012: 17
2013: 18
2014: Most likely not ranked...

See a pattern? Preseason rankings do not matter, at all. But nationally people are losing faith at the beginning of the season that Nebraska will be nationally relevant (top 25). It was a lot more fun talking about how irrelevant preseason rankings were when we were included in them. Now we have to cut them down because we are left out...

I responded to the part of your post I bolded. Summing up your post with "but hey at least we are winning 9 games a year" seemed like a jab at those fans that are content with 9 (10) wins at the moment. If it wasn't...my bad.

At no point reading your post did I come to the conclusion it was to the point that nationally Mebraska has received the benefit of the doubt they would play top tier football. In fact your first sentence refutes that by saying "preseason polls don't matter" (at all). If they don't matter (at all), why are you trying to explain that being left off of them is a sign of national irrelevancy?

The funny thing about trends (patterns), like statistics, are that they can be bent and twisted to support arguments. Yours above is an example...a bad one at that considering it's predicting a poll that won't be released for another 6-7 months. Here's one using only facts...

NEBRASKA PRESEASON RANKING:

2003: NR

2004: NR

2005: NR

2006: 20th

2007: 20th

2008: NR

See this pattern? That's a trend, and one that is extremely hard to stop...(during that time gradually becoming more difficult due to parity IMO). That's a trend/pattern that began with the firing of a head coach who averaged 9-10 wins per season. If there were any time Nebraska would have been given the benefit of a doubt by pollsters (which I don't agree with), this would seem more applicable considering Nebraska had the luxury of playing for 5 NC's (winning 3 missing 4 by a fg) within the past decade-ish.

For the record, I agree preseason polls like ESPN/CbS/USA mean nothing directly in the grand scheme. Indirectly through the power of persuasion? Yes, they probably do carry a little weight (some more than others). Preseason AP and Coaches mean a lot more in regards to when/how/vs who a team can lose to. So many examples I'll just use Miami 2013 real quick. Unranked, shot to 15th and climbed as high as 7th!!, all by beating a 4 win team who started 10th. Miami finished unranked but they gained this holy national relevancy for half the season through the power of preseason polls.

Even if Neb was #1, my opinion is that those factored into the BCS should be done away with until at least week 5, but honestly week 8's first BCS poll seems a better fit to me.

As I said in my OP, it's a perception issue. It's not a matter of whether this preseason poll is accurate or not. Those who support Bo still give him the benefit of the doubt. The rest (a large percentage of the Nebraska fan base, and most on a national level) have growing doubts -- and are very much in the "I'll believe it when I see it," frame of mind.

This had nothing to do with "supporting Bo" because I'm a Nebraska fan and that's what I do. If the powers that be deemed a trained monkey adequate for the position I'd support it too. Bo and the team go hand in hand right? We blame mistakes by the players like turnovers and penalties as reflections of the HC, but it seems a "large lol" percentage of fans think they don't have to support Bo to support the team....which they just pointed out was...his...reflection! That's odd to me.

As for the use of the word "large"...lol...round me off a ballpark figure.

My OP, although warped by my sense of humor, was belittling the national media's perception. It is derived from my belief that there are underlying agendas to keep pockets fat and products selling.

yep rinse and repeat from years 2-6 ...coming into this year. We were told with the easy schedule and the talent BO has they WILL be in the CCG

You must have caught Steve down at the Orange Julius on a bad day.

On topic....the national media, by the majority, had Michigan winning the division. The concensus on Nebraska (nationally and locally) IMO was that a flashy offense could probably carry the load while an extremely young but athletic defense gained experience. That was derailed by reasons most label excuses.

This had nothing to do with "supporting Bo" because I'm a Nebraska fan and that's what I do. If the powers that be deemed a trained monkey adequate for the position I'd support it too. Bo and the team go hand in hand right? We blame mistakes by the players like turnovers and penalties as reflections of the HC, but it seems a "large lol" percentage of fans think they don't have to support Bo to support the team....which they just pointed out was...his...reflection! That's odd to me.

As for the use of the word "large"...lol...round me off a ballpark figure.

My OP, although warped by my sense of humor, was belittling the national media's perception. It is derived from my belief that there are underlying agendas to keep pockets fat and products selling.

Okay, "support" is probably a poor word choice on my part. I should have said something like "strongly believe Bo will get the job done." Yes, I support Bo as our head coach, because he's the coach of my team, and I want him to get the job done well -- but yet, I have serious concerns.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back