• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

ESPN on the State of the Program

Every game is lost due to execution.

And one symptom of fatigue is failure to execute. A contributing factor to fatigue is lack of depth.

People can make their own talent judgments. Anyone worried that Robinson may be out this weekend? Is it because we don’t have the talent and depth behind him?
If they don't feed Mills 30 times this weekend you will probably see a lobsided loss once again. Iowa stayed in the game using the run game to open up opportunity downfield against pretty even match ups. We don't have a single WR that can overmatch their DBs, but neither did Iowa and they almost pulled it off. Wisconsin is simply too good in the defensive secondary and LB's to throw 50 times against them and expect to win.

I would argue Norman isn't a bad place and very close to lots of things and activities (OKC). You're about the others, though.
There isn’t anything more to do here than there is in Nebraska. Unless you want to go to an NBA game, and last I checked, most college kids can’t afford to go to one of those anyway.

Even Nick Saban can't guarantee good execution on every play or every series. Precision comes from the players themselves making sure they get it right over and over and over in practice until it becomes second nature and they can do it without thinking about it. The coaches can preach technique until they're blue in the face. They can't force guys to make precision and detail important and they're not out on the field in the middle of the play with them on game day and able to make sure guys get their hand placement, footwork and "eye discipline" correct.
What is curious is that when coaches from teams like Cincinnati, Minnesota, Iowa State, Kansas State and others (who don't have any better talent then we do) preach technique it makes it to the field each Saturday. Why is it when our coaches preach technique it doesn't translate to game day?

You correctly said precision comes from getting it right from practice over and over again. That is exactly what Frost brought with him from UCF - an up tempo, physical practice where everyone gets lots of reps and no one is standing around. Everyone in Husker land was giddy with excitement that the good old days of beating up on each other and barfing during and after practice were back. But two years in we don't look any better, and I would argue that we look worse.

It could be that, as you said, the players really don't give a rip about details, precision or even winning or losing which would speak directly to the culture still being toxic.

I'm not suggesting coaching changes. But when year two is worse that year one something is amiss.

Year 3 will be interesting to say the least.

I wonder what excuses they use for places like Texas, or Florida State? Or what reasons Minnesota can be good, or Ohio State, or Penn State?
Exactly. Nebraska is where they are because of a series of bumbling, head scratching hires, from the president and chancellor, to the AD, to the coach(s). Changing confrences didn’t help either. That is why they are where they are. I didn’t read the article, did they mention that?

Exactly. Nebraska is where they are because of a series of bumbling, head scratching hires, from the president and chancellor, to the AD, to the coach(s). Changing confrences didn’t help either. That is why they are where they are. I didn’t read the article, did they mention that?
I opened it up and saw the face of who wrote the article and didn't read a word.

Just like you, lack of consistency is why we are where we are IMO, Wisconsin while they changed head coaches, for the most part stayed the course on what their philosophies were. Even in the middle of our head coaches we changed things (4-3 to a 3-4 under Riley, Watson to Beck under Pelini). Consistency will do us good. We will look much different in 2021, just sucks to have to wait a while.

I opened it up and saw the face of who wrote the article and didn't read a word.

Just like you, lack of consistency is why we are where we are IMO, Wisconsin while they changed head coaches, for the most part stayed the course on what their philosophies were. Even in the middle of our head coaches we changed things (4-3 to a 3-4 under Riley, Watson to Beck under Pelini). Consistency will do us good. We will look much different in 2021, just sucks to have to wait a while.
If Nebraska keeps playing the way they have been, I will drink myself to death before 2021.....

If Nebraska keeps playing the way they have been, I will drink myself to death before 2021.....
It gets bad for me around mid 3rd quarter. Wife usually pulls one of these during the games:

Image result for walk in walk out gif

I’ll be cool just having a bowl game this year and next. I’m truly cool with that. Then in year 4, Nebraska goes into Norman Oklahoma and puts a knot on OU’s head and it’s just onward from there. I’d be cool with that. ;)

That said, the way this year has gone, I will be happily shocked if they can make a bowl game this year. They’ve squandered at least 3 wins. Really behind the 8 ball. Tough but not undoable either.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back