• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

ESPN on the State of the Program

If they don't feed Mills 30 times this weekend you will probably see a lobsided loss once again. Iowa stayed in the game using the run game to open up opportunity downfield against pretty even match ups. We don't have a single WR that can overmatch their DBs, but neither did Iowa and they almost pulled it off. Wisconsin is simply too good in the defensive secondary and LB's to throw 50 times against them and expect to win.

Definitely need to get a run game going; something we have not really been able to consistently do. But hope springs eternal.

I wonder about John Blake's reputation as an "outstanding recruiter." Was he really that good at selling OU, or did he bend some rules and just not get caught? I remember reading on this board back in 2006/early 2007 that Callahan wasn't unhappy to see Blake leave for UNC because he'd bent some recruiting rules. He left UNC in 2010 under a cloud of suspicion regarding his relationship with agent Gary Wichard. In 2012 the NCAA handed down a 3-year "show cause" order against Blake for that mess. He's been out of football since he spent one year as the DL coach for the Buffalo Bills back in 2016.
He definitely bent the rules in some cases... and that is why he fell out of coaching stardom. However, he did bring some solid players to nearly every school he worked at.

That is due in large part to who coaches the program. When he leaves/retires ... what is the succession plan? What is the backup to that succession plan?

We've had a Devaney/Osborne-esque coaching tree. Hopefully there are lessons learned from football and hopefully there is a plan in place!

Even the best laid plans can be torched by an ummmmm, egotistical AD?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back