• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Elijah Thomas, 6-9, 240 transfer from TA&M

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BREAKING: Texas A&amp;M transfer Elijah Thomas has committed to Clemson, sources told <a href="https://twitter.com/CBSSports">@CBSSports</a>. Huge get for Brad Brownell.</p>&mdash; Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) <a href="https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/684789720975454208">January 6, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

wonder if he noticed how few times we actually pass the ball down low. bummer he didn't chose NU but I'm not surprised.

I think the reason the offense doesn't run through the post is that we have no post players. Shields can post up, but he's better outside on the dribble/drive. Jacobson will be a post player and has good hands, but he's a true freshman. I don't think it makes a lot of sense to drive the offense into a player who will have trouble scoring and passing the ball back out. Chicken and egg.

GBR :N:

I think the reason the offense doesn't run through the post is that we have no post players. Shields can post up, but he's better outside on the dribble/drive. Jacobson will be a post player and has good hands, but he's a true freshman. I don't think it makes a lot of sense to drive the offense into a player who will have trouble scoring and passing the ball back out. Chicken and egg.

I agree. We have no real post threat. Shields is not a post player at all. Jacobson might develop into one and I guess you could force the issue with him if you wanted to but at this time, feeding the ball into the post for offense is a losing proposition.

The deficiency of not having a big man is killing this team on both ends of the court.

I agree. We have no real post threat. Shields is not a post player at all. Jacobson might develop into one and I guess you could force the issue with him if you wanted to but at this time, feeding the ball into the post for offense is a losing proposition.

The deficiency of not having a big man is killing this team on both ends of the court.

NU isn't the first team in history without a threat at the post. There are ways to compensate...especially offensively. That way is essentially run and gun. Push the ball up the court at every opportunity. In the past NU has been abysmal from the 3 point line (and it is a good thing to be deadly from 3 in transition) but this year NU is actually credible (top 1/3 of NCAA).

Run and gun doesn't necessarily mean fast break, take it to the rim, every time. Just means push the ball up the court. Make the defense run. Confuse them, get them out of position/scrambling. Not having a big man on offense isn't the death knell in college basketball that it used to be.

That is exactly what I thought we would do this year. Try and take advantage of a match up or a defender out of position. The style of play the Huskers are using doesn't do either. I don't believe a team needs to have a threat in the post, but if you make that entry pass, it forces the defense to react. If they don't, you are one on one against someone probably slower than you so a drop step and you are at the rim.. And if the defense collapses, it is an open look from outside.

NU isn't the first team in history without a threat at the post. There are ways to compensate...especially offensively. That way is essentially run and gun. Push the ball up the court at every opportunity. In the past NU has been abysmal from the 3 point line (and it is a good thing to be deadly from 3 in transition) but this year NU is actually credible (top 1/3 of NCAA).

Run and gun doesn't necessarily mean fast break, take it to the rim, every time. Just means push the ball up the court. Make the defense run. Confuse them, get them out of position/scrambling. Not having a big man on offense isn't the death knell in college basketball that it used to be.

but thats just it..... it makes more sense to feed the post, given NU's current state of affairs. Believe me, i'm not advocating for the ball to be shot from the post every possession, but more then 2 touches down low per game would be nice. Jacobsen was fed in the post ONCE that i recall in the iowa game, and he made a decent move and got a layup. will that happen every time? no. certainly not. but the threat HAS to be there. it has to at least be made known to the defense that they have to honor defending that part of the floor. if our post players aren't capable of receiving a pass down low, making a move, and at the very least, passing back or skipping the ball to the opposite of the floor, then we may as well cancel the rest of the season.

Morrow is probably top 3 in athletic ability every time he steps on the floor. give the guy the ball more then twice per game. Let him grow and mature through experience. I'd take a few airballs and blocked shots from our post players any day over just passing the ball around for 22 seconds then jacking up a ridiculous 3 pt shot.

anyone noticed how many charges NU gets called for per game? opponents know that the only method of scoring we have is one guy dribbling around, finally making space for himself, and driving to the basket. That makes it pretty easy for opposing defenders to step in and take charges when they know exactly whats coming, and they don't have to worry about actually guarding their man. they can help off and draw the charge, because there is no chance that Shields will drop a pass off to one of the big guys they are supposed to be guarding. So they just camp in the middle of the floor and wait for it. Heck, half the time jacobsen is standing free throw line extended, or running around like a chicken trying to set ball screens for an ever moving target. (I don't blame him for that, obviously he's ether doing what he's been told, or he's learned that the only way he'll get the ball on offense is if he's standing 18 ft from the basket.)

Basketball fact. the more times NU shows a willingness to feed the post, the easier it will become for the people who actually score, (Shields, AW3, etc) to find room and space to do what they need to do. Otherwise, we may as well just leave our post player behind to guard our basket and play offense with 4 people. Thats basically what we're doing right now neways.

Last edited:

thats probably what is most frustrating for me watching NU play. We act like a possession team, yet have none of the skill sets to do it. it makes no sense at all. we should be pushing, running, quick shots, up tempo, balls to the walls.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back